Xbox 360 Scores Temporary $50 Price Drop

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Xbox 360 Scores Temporary $50 Price Drop

Holiday shoppers can score several consoles, including the Halo 4 limited edition bundle, at a discount for a limited time.

Just in time for the holiday rush, Microsoft is slicing a cool $50 off the price of several Xbox 360 SKUs, including bundles featuring the Kinect accessory. The new lower prices points actually began popping up at retailers including Amazon and GameStop before Microsoft officially confirmed the new deals.

The price cut applies to not only the standalone 250GB Xbox 360, but the 4GB and 250GB Kinect bundles as well. Somewhat surprisingly, the not-yet-released Halo 4 limited edition bundle is also included in the deal, bringing its pre-order price down from $399.99 to $349.99. The new lower cost comes just days after Nintendo revealed a $20 price drop [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120112-Nintendo-Slashes-Wii-Price-With-New-Bundle] for its aging Wii console, as well as a new bundle.

In Microsoft's official confirmation, the company notes that the price drop is a temporary promotion at participating retailers specifically for the holiday season. No date was given in regards to when the promotion ends and prices would return to normal.

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-10-15-xbox-360-bundles-get-USD50-price-cut]

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
One last big push to pull more kiddies into the brand before they release the 720.
Or really, really, really late adopters? Or folks with the ring o' doom? My arcade model is running just fine, so no particular desire to update for me. But this sort of move does make me wonder when they will come out and say here's the next box.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
One last big push to pull more kiddies into the brand before they release the 720.
I'm a really late adopter. I play most games on PC, but I'm thinking of buying a 360 and/or a PS3 in order to play through the console exclusives (including those "cross-platform-but-not-PC" console exclusives). This may push me over the edge to getting a 360.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
UNHchabo said:
I'm a really late adopter. I play most games on PC, but I'm thinking of buying a 360 and/or a PS3 in order to play through the console exclusives (including those "cross-platform-but-not-PC" console exclusives). This may push me over the edge to getting a 360.
Ditto. I only have a handful of games I'm interested in getting, for now at least, but assuming they don't do something crippling like shutting down LIVE support for the 360 when Nextbox comes out, there's always the occasional used game that's either cheaper than getting it on Steam, or that I just want to try out and then probably sell back, or that I could borrow from my cousin.

From the looks of things, the base model isn't being discounted, and the 120GB one isn't available anymore, so there's nothing I'd consider to be in my price range. I almost bought an Xbox 360 last year on Black Friday when Dell.com had it on sale for $150, but I chickened out. I wonder if they'll have a sale again this year that stacks with the discounts that Microsoft is already offering. 'Cause I'd probably be willing to pay $200 for a 250GB model.