Xbox 360 to Lose Twitter and Facebook Apps

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Xbox 360 to Lose Twitter and Facebook Apps

You'll have to show Internet Explorer some love if you intend on updating your social networks from your Xbox.

For a company that once wanted us to use the Xbox 360 for all manner of social network interaction, this certainly is a strange move: It seems the current Xbox dashboard update - currently rolling out to a console near you - kills off both Twitter and Facebook from the apps marketplace. Apparently the change is designed to push users into leaning on the new Internet Explorer app for online interaction.

Microsoft has confirmed the removal of the apps, stating that they are being officially "retired." With the addition of a full web browser to the dashboard experience, it seems like the popularity (or lack thereof) of the apps just didn't warrant keeping them around.

The apps were initially introduced in the Fall 2009 dashboard update, at which point everyone downloaded them, used them once, and then forgot about them. Ok, perhaps that's a bit dismissive of me, and I have to confess that posting my über-difficult Trials Revolution achievements on Facebook right from the console itself was pretty satisfying.

However, opening a web browser, navigating to the social network of choice, signing in, and then posting an update seems like an exercise in frustration. If you didn't use the apps in the first place, requiring that you dive into Internet Explorer to access Twitter and Facebook probably won't tickle your fancy either.

Source: The Verge [http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/18/3520834/xbox-facebook-twitter-apps-dashboard-browser-ie]

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
PurpleLeafRave said:
Didn't use them anyway. I use my games console for games, surprisingly. I do have a computer.
I was about to say the same thing. Why would I want to update facebook from my Xbox? When I am gaming I am gaming, when I am looking at facebook I am looking at facebook.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Never much used the Twitter app myself after the first couple of weeks, outside of one week when both my desktop and laptop had hardware failures; it was a very limited interface, and I'm not talking about typing with a controller here. (I have the "chatpad" accessory for stuff like that, which I got cheap with a Live renewal card.) 50 post limit on the timeline, slow to refresh, couldn't render all the user icons (including mine), and of course the inability to follow links... I won't miss it.

And I never used the Facebook app, as I won't touch Facebook with a lead-lined 10' pole.

-- Steve

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Oh no. However shall I log into my bookface and tweeter without an XBox360 app? Oh lord, why have you forsaken us? It's not like I bought my XBox to play video games! How shall I ever go on without being able to see my friend's inane banter on my big screen TV! Oh, the horror!

But in all seriousness, Microsoft. Maybe you should do something about your shitty web browser if you want people to use it. You must realize there's something amiss when you have to FORCE people to use it.

Althenias

May 21, 2009
I only used them maybe 3 times, I have a smartphone that's always close at hand I don't need to leave the game I'm playing to go into the xbox app and update my status.

TimeCruiserMike

Oct 1, 2009
oh no. how will i ever make updates to twitter or Facebook from the comfort of my couch . . . oh wait, the same I've always done it. Wireless mouse and keyboard or even better a smartphone.

These were useless apps and i'm glad to be rid of them.

Apr 28, 2008
Hey, Microsoft, remember when you said Facebook and Twitter added value to the service and helped justify the yearly cost? Without those, what justifies paying $60 a year for a service that doesn't really offer anything?

And don't say Internet Explorer makes up the cost. If anything, that lowers the value.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Irridium said:
Hey, Microsoft, remember when you said Facebook and Twitter added value to the service and helped justify the yearly cost? Without those, what justifies paying $60 a year for a service that doesn't really offer anything?

And don't say Internet Explorer makes up the cost. If anything, that lowers the value.
Completely agree with you Irridium. That's really why I don't buy Live anymore. Too expensive really, plus Internet Explorer in my opinion sucks. Google Chrome forever. XD

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
"seems like an exercise in frustration",
the last update made you click 12 times to find any new dlc, demo, or indie game when it only took 3 before, plus added commercials to your subscription plan, and got rid of your background themes/images you could upload or bought.

M$ loves controlling your hardware via software. You don't own a console, they own your console.

Next will be commercials on Xbox live login.

Followed by commercials when you click on an app and when you click on the IE url browser, and when you close your tray.

If it's good for the consumer, i mean customer, then it's bad for business.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
The Xbox had Facebook?

I guess I was too busy playing games to notice.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
ViciousTide said:
and got rid of your background themes/images you could upload or bought..
Wait, what? What do you mean by "got rid of"...? Just flat out made them unusable?

If so, wow Microsoft. That is a new low. Charging for this kind of crap is bad enough, but then making them unusable later on?

I am SO fucking glad I don't own and xbox anymore.
Actually they haven't made themes unusable, if that's what the guy is getting at.

Anyway, I would've made some sarcastic comment about "Oh God, what a terrible loss this would be" but I then remembered that the way I upload the Minecraft photos on Xbox is via Facebook so I'm not just wondering if the app being shut down affects that.

FinalFreak16

Mar 23, 2010
So 2 services removed and 1 Service added? I hope this will be reflected in the price of Xbox Live then. No?

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
First, to people who say the price should be going down: There have been a plethora of other apps that have been added since the price increase, including YouTube, HBO Go and Hulu Plus. Not that I would complain about a price drop in Live Services, but just because these apps were a factor in the price increase doesn't mean they'll go back down because they're gone, since 50 gabajillion apps have been added since then. We're getting much more bang for our buck now. (Though Microsoft is MORE than welcome to use this as a reason to bring it back down to $50. Really. I won't fight it.)

Second, and most importantly: Who actually used these apps anyway?

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Well, I never used them. I use my XBOX for gaming. Why would I use my game console for such things when I have a computer?