Xbox And PS3, Living Together In Harmony

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Xbox And PS3, Living Together In Harmony

Two gaming consoles in a single case. Thanks to one reddit user, the dream is now a reality.

Dogs and cats living together. Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney singing about piano keys. Lisa Bonet.

History has taught us time and time again that while combinations of wildly disparate elements are guaranteed to stir up controversy, the end result is often far more valuable than the sum of its parts.

Thus, I present the creation of adorably-monikered reddit user "timofiend." Seemingly tired of owning both an Xbox 360 and a PlayStation 3, the inventive lad mashed the two together inside a single PC case, creating a hybrid to rival anything dreamt up by H.G. Wells.

Those of you familiar with either console, PC construction or the basic concepts of thermodynamics might be wondering how well those two consoles can expunge the heat they generate while trapped inside such a snug cocoon. DVice reports [http://dvice.com/archives/2011/09/one-box-to-rule.php#2]:

In terms of overheating, Timofiend said that he skipped out on using liquid cooling because it was too expensive, and it looks like when both consoles are turned on at the same time, the temperature hovers at around 38-39 degrees celsius (100-102 degrees fahrenheit) for the PS3 and 37-38 degrees celsius (98.6-100 degrees fahrenheit) for the Xbox 360.

While it's never stated if those are the operating temperatures while both consoles are running simultaneously -- and why you would ever do that, I have no idea -- they still seem well within each console's optimal range.

That said, the lack of liquid cooling leaves me wondering what else might be jammed in that case with a radiator full of toxic goo to keep it chilled. I have more than enough space for all of my consoles, but I would drop good money for a combination Xbox 360/PlayStation 3/rotisserie carousel.

Originally I was going to suggest a built-in LCD monitor, but that's a bit obvious. Plus, there isn't a TV on the market that can roast a suckling pig while I'm throwing fridges at the citizens of Detroit.

[gallery=461]

Source: Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/k2ixt/xbox_360_and_ps3_in_a_pc_case_mod/]

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Now make cross platform gaming for both consoles a reality and then the world will be a happier place for all!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
That distant popping you can hear is the sound of millions of fanboys experiencing spontaneous cranial blowout due to sheer outrage.

Mr. 47

May 25, 2011
Do want. Very much. I love my PS3, and always wanted to play some 360 games.

Add in one that can play PC games and I would faint out of the pure epicness.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Is it just me, or does it look like that case still contains an ATX power supply?

Seems like a rather strange thing to leave inside a case if you're trying to the circuitry from two game consoles inside of it, given how heavy and bulky ATX power supplies actually are...

(And really, if you still need to power say, cooling fans and the like, there are much smaller/more effective ways of doing so given the rather low currents involved.)

Edit: On reading how this was done, the ATX psu is powering the 360... So what I said isn't really very meaningful. Still, it answers my own question. (it apparently was meant to power the PS3 as well, but there was some kind of technical problem with the PS3 voltages.)

Still, the idea is fun just for the sheer absurdity of it. XD

Oh, that reminds me... Something like 15 years ago I saw a PC that had a Sega Mega Drive built into it. Complete with cartridge slot and all.

And that seems to have been some kind of officially licensed product... Weird, but cool, even back then.

RoboGeek

Apr 3, 2010
this was actually made by one of the people in my course at university. he posted the instructions on how he made it here [link]http://timofiend.blogspot.com/[/link] if anyone is interested in making this beast.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I read that the title...Laughed my tits off and came here to see what the hell this was about...and to read many fanboyish arguments...

But now that i am here....HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!! :O

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I wonder if at night, when all the lights are off and the owners are in bed, do the console sit there and ***** at each other about pointless technical crap......or am I just getting confused with the machines owners?

OT: I like it, I'm jealous, I want it.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Not to diminish his creation in any way, but wouldn't you basically get the same result if you just duct-taped the 2 consoles together?

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
I like the case it's in. I've had my fill of consoles and their troubles, though.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
GeorgW said:
Not to diminish his creation in any way, but wouldn't you basically get the same result if you just duct-taped the 2 consoles together?
Well if you somehow tape over the vents the resulting heat could melt the tape off. Along with some bits of your consoles.

I would rather save myself the effort and just stand them next to eachother.

A dual console is a nice thought, but unessesary at this point.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I demand they add Nintendo's console, thus making "PSWii60" a reality.

Me, I'm happy with my PC-PS3 one-monitor setup. Still, impressive engineering!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
I always wanted to get the RROD and YLOD at the same time.
That's innovation.
Especially since my PS3 could cook a T-Bone in 30 seconds. That kind of heat can't be good for the 360.

Also,

"Side by side right beneath my HDTV Lord why can't we?"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
omicron1 said:
I demand they add Nintendo's console, thus making "PSWii60" a reality.

Me, I'm happy with my PC-PS3 one-monitor setup. Still, impressive engineering!
It'd be even more epic if they could fit the Wii Sensor Bar, Kinect, and Eye all in one "sensor bar."

Low Key

May 7, 2009
38C idles? No thank you. I hope Sony and Microsoft are working on better heat dissipation for their next consoles. At least with PCs, if it's running hot, you can crack open the case and put on aftermarket heatsinks. Open a console and the warranty is void.