Xbox Boss Admits Some "Wrong Decisions" Were Made With Xbox One

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Racecarlock said:
And right away phil spencer is already more likable than don mattrick was.

Of course the same can be said of a tyrannosaurus blended with a cactus.
Of course, they're all like that at first, taking over for a royal clusterf***er and promising they'll do better, only to turn around later and be just as much if not more of a dick to their customers until the next guy who does the same thing.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Words are wind and its too little too late to make up for their shit, at least for me that is. Maybe next cycle I'll give them another shot.

LeenaV said:
From a corporate board perspective, the video game market is stagnant and saturated.
It's stagnant because these big companies are too scared to do anything new, and saturated because they are all chasing the same demographic. Everything has to be a billion dollar franchise or its not worth doing at all. If they branched out to different types of games more often, and had more modest games with more modest budgets then they and gamers would be so much better off.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
I was really feeling good about this until I saw this portion of his quote...
I thought we did a good job last year announcing a lot of new games and having games, games, games being the focus of the show. I want to do the same thing again this year.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
It's good to see them acknowledging their mistakes this soon. It took Sony a bit longer as I remember.
A whole generation, I believe.

But yeah, this was a good thing. Just admit you were wrong, and move on.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I wonder how many minority report-esque psychics they had to hire/kidnap to learn that us gamers actually want games, not endless tv and social media apps.

Maybe im just being grumps mcgee here as this is seemingly a good thing. But every public announcement from them has a sort of bs political speech vibe to it that i cannot ignore

Oct 20, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
I wonder how many minority report-esque psychics they had to hire/kidnap to learn that us gamers actually want games, not endless tv and social media apps.

Maybe im just being grumps mcgee here as this is seemingly a good thing. But every public announcement from them has a sort of bs political speech vibe to it that i cannot ignore
They needed precisely 9000 and no more.

Mr C

May 8, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Plus they need to release that damned $350 no Kinect edition
I'm behind everything you said, especially the above quote. I live in Asia where the haven't released the system yet. They have the chance to wipe the slate clean, with the option of choosing kinect a good way to start. Like many gamers, the current generation started last year for me with the PS4. M$ need to try really hard to get me to part with my cash early after release.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
SilverStuddedSquirre said:
Xsjadoblayde said:

They needed precisely 9000 and no more.
*Bows politely*
You are a wise sage of juicy knowledge...a more suspicious mind may accuse you of being one of those 9000, but i shant lower myself to the level where your mysterious witchcraft scares me!

please dont curse my already tainted bloodline ;)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Xbox division boss Phil Spencer admits some decisions the company made regarding the Xbox One were "wrong decisions"

In other news, invading Russia was probably not a good idea for Germany.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
Hairless Mammoth said:
Wow, five minutes and the only 2 talking points I heard was "we're now focusing on games" and "we're getting ready for E3". They should have had at least said something about dropping the kinect or some other issue. I was hoping Phil would. They didn't even say that something big will be announced at E3, just they're getting ready. I got a feeling MS is going to continue selling $500 xboxes with a useless camera while Titanfall is the new hit game.

Their biggest mistake (after the DRM fiasco) was the the bundling of the Kinect, raising the price and and dropping some specs to keep the price below $500. The Wii never really got any third party title that properly utilized the motion controls, except maybe the FPSes the used the sensor bar to aim and even Nintendo own games were full of unnecessary motion gimmicks. If no one ever got the Wii's control scheme perfected after 5 years, almost no developer will properly utilize the Kinect even if they're enticed to do so with the entire xbone user base each having a kinect. It's a waste of time for today's already strained developers.
Racecarlock said:
And right away phil spencer is already more likable than don mattrick was.

Of course the same can be said of a tyrannosaurus blended with a cactus.
I least he didn't come out and say "Well, we got a system for people who play games. It's called the Xbox 360."
omega 616 said:
Who the fuck is this Major Nelson? He seems like a guy slightly too old for this "internet handle", I mean his real name is Larry Hryb, sounds like his favorite hobby is stamp collecting. He doesn't seem to do much of anything, from what I've seen he is the xbox mascot and nothing more.
He is the Xbox Live Coordinator or some other crazy title. I've usually seen him do announcements for Xbox Live news and do damage control, like this. Why else would an MS employee interview another MS employee?
Have you used the Kinect with the Xbox one? It was not a mistake and is by far one of the best features of the console. It's well integrated and provided developers to actually USE it now that everybody with an xbox HAS it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Neronium said:
Yep. For entry level positions you usually have a week to a month period to tell your bosses that you will be leaving. In Don Mattrick's case, he was the head of the Xbox Division so he'd have to give 6 months to a year's notice that he'd be leaving. And in the video I linked, it explains that while Microsoft knew he was leaving, they sorta had to put him out their otherwise their stocks would have dropped (in this case, more than the initial E3 drop). So really we can chalk up the interviews and the E3 PR disaster to him honestly not caring at all.
really, the period is 6 months there? isnt that a bit too long? in my country the regular folk need2 weeks notice and the management need 4 week notice. thats understandable. but 6 months? that sounds a bit too long, a lot can happe in 6 months. I mean if he was switching jobs what next company has to wait for 6 months for him?

dystopiaINC said:
Have you used the Kinect with the Xbox one? It was not a mistake and is by far one of the best features of the console. It's well integrated and provided developers to actually USE it now that everybody with an xbox HAS it.
you mean its supernatural ability to think my sofa is my face or that a cat is second player? its inability to actually do anything better than a controller? what good features does it actually have other than always listening to you?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Good job, Drone-7693-J. You have earned your cookie today and a stay of execution from Drone-8592-B. Keep up the good work.

Mind you, the proof is in the pudding, so get to work!