Xbox Co-Creator Says Consoles Have Won

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
If ipads and iphones are consoles then they are pretty shitty consoles.

"video games Console" don't revise their graphics rending capability every 12 months endlessly dividing their community amongst different hardware configurations and capability.

That sounds a lot more like PC gaming. Actually, this sounds like someone trying to move the goal-posts.

The_root_of_all_evil said:

Consoles are INVINCIBLE!

[sub]You're a looney.[/sub]
Why aren't you working for Escapist magazine?

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Thank goodness I won't have to play Minecraft, Civilization, Total War, or anything released by Blizzard anymore.

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
"Oh look I'm getting publicity" - is what I got from this article...Jebus a console is a system made specifically for playing games and nothing else.If anything consoles died because they became home entertainment systems and simple computers.Where they weren't phones filled the gap.Especially as there are talks that the new xbox will support windows all traces of what the console was are disappearing...

Mikko Laurinen

Jun 16, 2011
Steve Butts said:
Thank goodness I won't have to play Minecraft, Civilization, Total War, or anything released by Blizzard anymore.
He never compared consoles to PCs. Learn 2 read b4 commenting. :p

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
The Virgo said:
*Checks current online Steam users. Sees the number "3,142,586"*

Oh yeah, consoles and their innumerable COD, Halo and Gears of War have won alright ... *rolls eyes*
Thats nothing compared to other online services

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Macrobstar said:
The Virgo said:
*Checks current online Steam users. Sees the number "3,142,586"*

Oh yeah, consoles and their innumerable COD, Halo and Gears of War have won alright ... *rolls eyes*
Thats nothing compared to other online services
Yeah, like games on Facebook and Newgrounds.

Oh, but 'apparently' they are console now. Because of something to do with ipads.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
So let me get this straight. He thinks because he calls something a console its a console and therefore consoles have won? What about the fact that, at its core, every console is a PC (or MAC if we include iPads and the like)? Doesn't that, in turn, mean that PCs win?

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Mikko Laurinen said:
Steve Butts said:
Oh, burn! Oh wait. I mean the opposite of that. Chill?

Blakely says the highest goal for any digital device is and should be playing games. He points to the growth of that thinking among emerging tech platforms as evidence that the console model has triumphed, but he CLEARLY misses the point that the democratic, unrestricted nature of PC software development proved the viability and potential of this model years ago, and that's what the console manufacturers have been chasing for the last twenty years. Server side storage, dynamic user-driven content, and social connectivity are the key forces driving this extension of gaming into the mainstream platforms and it's all stuff that the consoles drew from the PC market.

The emerging iOS and Facebook markets are the antithesis of the console way of thinking. For Blakely to tie that growth to the particular qualities of the console market is misguided. It would have been better, as others have already suggested, had he said that GAMING has won. What would we make of a gamer who ten years ago, in the face of the consoles' integration of previously PC-exclusive features, declared that the console's increasing market share proved that the PC was, in fact, triumphant?

Mikko Laurinen

Jun 16, 2011
Steve Butts said:
Mikko Laurinen said:
Steve Butts said:
Oh, burn! Oh wait. I mean the opposite of that. Chill?

Blakely says the highest goal for any digital device is and should be playing games. He points to the growth of that thinking among emerging tech platforms as evidence that the console model has triumphed, but he CLEARLY misses the point that the democratic, unrestricted nature of PC software development proved the viability and potential of this model years ago, and that's what the console manufacturers have been chasing for the last twenty years. Server side storage, dynamic user-driven content, and social connectivity are the key forces driving this extension of gaming into the mainstream platforms and it's all stuff that the consoles drew from the PC market.

The emerging iOS and Facebook markets are the antithesis of the console way of thinking. For Blakely to tie that growth to the particular qualities of the console market is misguided. It would have been better, as others have already suggested, had he said that GAMING has won. What would we make of a gamer who ten years ago, in the face of the consoles' integration of previously PC-exclusive features, declared that the console's increasing market share proved that the PC was, in fact, triumphant?
Again, he never said a thing about PCs. This was never in any way about Console vs PC. As I stated in my post before the one you quoted, his argument IS in fact about gaming vs lack of relevancy and your PC-related points, while very much valid, thus miss the point of what it's about.

Jan 22, 2011
When consoles become region free and support custom home-brew app's then they have won. Also i want to play some damn visual novels on the 360 or Ps3 with-out having to import or learn a second language or do the other methods... that aside is he serious???

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
I wonder why the co-creator of one of the most popular consoles would hold such an opinion.

Also, he's pretty right for the time being. Specific-purpose devices and software are dominating right now. Consoles have far outstripped PC sales and the app model for software has gained significant traction. People like things that are self-contained and relatively simple to understand and it's hard to blame them.

Consoles are a lot easier to deal with than PCs: if it's a 360 game it will run on a 360. You don't need to worry about system requirements, about updating, about messing with settings. Similarly, if you want to install an app on your iPad, you download the app and boom, done. No need to fuss with installations, conflicts, etc.

At the same time, devices that are already relatively unobtrusive are becoming more and more integrated. I know relatively few people who have separate phones and MP3 players anymore for instance. I think that that trend will far outstrip the trend toward more simple self-contained devices within our lifetime. Essentially, I'd bet that this current trend toward simplification will effectively succeed, at which point we'll move back toward integrating all of the newly simplified systems.

And this is probably a good thing - as it stands most new technology is sort of strapped onto existing technology. Computers are used for a multitude of things, but each new thing has to be added to a system that wasn't necessarily designed for it. A redesign is sort of in order. Once that's done, I think we'll see another big push for device integration that will spell the end of the console. Once you don't need to worry about system requirements, tweaking settings, conflicts, and an unwieldy number of competing proprietary formats, there's absolutely no reason why someone would want a single-purpose console over something like a PC.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Why does everything have to be a competition? I'm sick of hearing about what "won" and "lost".

pepitko

Sep 23, 2009
My impression is that he means that gaming has won over every gadget imaginable, so that everything is now a console. And I would agree with this, I have many iPhone apps, but 70% of them are games.

Sikratua

Apr 11, 2011
Marudas said:
Arguing the specifics of the word "Console" and other semantics do not magically make the reality any less there.

Console, in this frame of reference, has always referred to the variously shaped boxes that people smack down in front of their TV's, grab a controller, throw in a game, and play. Yes, you could probably call the other devices such as an Ipad or Ipod a "Console", if you were feeling ridiculous and wanted to make an entirely pointless point (Yes, i know what i just typed.)

I mean, this is up there on some of the most absurd logic I've ever seen. He's saying that because you can call technically call an Ipad or Facebook a gaming "console", that the traditional consoles have succeeded? Thats like saying Beta succeeded because VHS won the video tape war.

Of course there's always going to be an Ipad, a facebook, or a cloud. Its a distribution method and a platform, we can't just absorb games from some infinite ether. Though, with this guys logic, i suppose if we did figure out how to do that, he'd call the infinite ether a console.
You made Blackley's point for him, probably without knowing it.

To begin with, your definition of the term "console" is entirely too limited. For instance, by your definition, the Ninendo DS and Sony PSP don't qualify as "consoles." Then, you contradicted yourself, by giving a seperate comment about gaming, which is actually a much better definition of "console," in regards to gaming. Gaming has always been about the method of distribution, and the console has always been the platform by which that distributed material is enjoyed. Hard box consoles were simply easier at the infancy of gaming, and people have kept that thought in mind.

However, a machine is what you do with it. For instance, if you were to gut your old tv, make it watertight, and keep your goldfish in there, would that still be a television? No, it would be a fishtank. I have an iPod Touch. I haven't had access to iTunes since I bought the thing, so I use it for watching Netflix, Facebook, and Youtube, mainly. Is my iPod Touch, that has no music on it, still a music player? Or, is it, through my usage, a platform for watching movies, and keeping in touch with friends?

A Jeep isn't an all terrain vehicle if it's never driven off of the road. A Pagani Zonda isn't a high performance car if it's never taken above 50 mph. Similarly, if a person owns a computer primarily for gaming, that is a gaming platform, regardless of what other functions it can perform.

But, then, there's Steam. What is Steam? No, seriously, I want you to think about that for a second. Steam is, at its core, a service for computers that acts as a platform upon which video games are played. In every way, except for the grey box sitting on my bookcase, Steam IS a video game console.

I know. I know. "No, it's not. Steam uses downloads. That's not like consoles." Does that mean if a person only buys Wii games from the Virtual Console that his Wii is any less of a gaming platform? Or, if someone only uses PSN to get their PS3 games? How about X-Box Live Arcade?

The point I'm trying to make is that a "gaming console" is simply the software that allows for the game to be played. But, people like you are argueing that gaming must inherantly be confined to a single box, otherwise it's not authentic. And, the problem with your arguement is that evolutions happens, especially in technology. To stagnate is to die. We've reached the tipping point, at which the difference between gaming platforms are nearly non-existant. Case in point: If I were so inclined, I could plug a X-Box 360 controller into my PC, and use that to control my character in Team Fortress 2. Or, using a converter, I can use a keyboard and mouse to play games on my PS3.

Blackley's right. Console gaming has won, because everything that can play a game is a gaming console.