Xbox Commercial Turns on Consoles Thanks to Kinect and Aaron Paul

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Xbox Commercial Turns on Consoles Thanks to Kinect and Aaron Paul

"Xbox, on." "Xbox, go to Titanfall." Aaron Paul is commandeering Xbox Ones with a new commercial.

According to Xbox One owners on Twitter and Reddit, a new Xbox One commercial featuring Breaking Bad star Aaron Paul* is causing some issues with their game consoles. In the commercial, Paul demonstrates the Kinect's ability to recognize voice commands to control the Xbox One system. Of course, people typically watch television in the same room that they keep their Xbox Ones and Kinects (you know, with the TV) and the viewer's systems are reacting to Paul's voice commands.

The commercial is causing user's systems to turn on and in [a href="https://twitter.com/stephenlucey/status/477175071425851392"]some cases[/a] launch Titanfall. Surely, this is just big accident, but it does demonstrate how effective the voice commands on Xbox One are. Perhaps this was an acceptable risk, given the buzz about the feature it is creating.

[small]*We won't mention Need for Speed. We doubt that's what he means by "role of a lifetime" anyway.[/small]

Source: [a href="http://www.dailydot.com/lol/aaron-paul-xbox-advert/"]Daily Dot[/a]

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Called it last year but oh no. People said my "prank" of setting up a hidden speaker in the same room and shout commands from another room while someone played would never work coz Microsoft would patch it. Who's the sad freak now!?!

schtingah

Jun 1, 2011
I may be confused here, but isn't the new 399$ XBox the one without a Kinect? If so then why is their commercial for that a celebrity using a Kinect?

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
MinionJoe said:
We need to ask the Honest Trailers narrator to say "XBOX Turn off", burn that soundbyte to CD, and then go cruising town with it blasting out of the stereo on repeat.

Of course, if customers don't want their XBOX One's to be shut off, Microsoft fortunately has a solution all ready for them: The Kinectless XBOX One.
Perhaps you're looking for something like this
Unfortunately the designers were smart enough to put up a confirmation page upon exit. What we need now is a video or sound bite that also triggers the confirmation >:)

Klaw117

Apr 28, 2013
schtingah said:
I may be confused here, but isn't the new 399$ XBox the one without a Kinect? If so then why is their commercial for that a celebrity using a Kinect?
Deceptive advertising. Once people see this and buy it only to find out voice commands don't work, Microsoft can tell them to spend more money on the Kinect.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
schtingah said:
Well, they aren't specifically advertising the new priced model, they're advertising the Xbox One in general and just going with the standard 'starting at', which generally does include more shitty models of the thing being advertised.

Besides, if you look at the fine print on the screen with the price, it does say 'some features may require Kinect pairing'. So yeah, kind of shitty and misleading, but not MS specific and really standard practice to advertise a product with accessories that may not be included in the base price.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Didn't Microsoft say this couldn't happen? Possibly because of the cloud magic their console uses to work.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Perhaps you're looking for something like this [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWZLa4AnN5k]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWZLa4AnN5k ->
[youtube=mWZLa4AnN5k] ->

OT: We all know what "the role of a lifetime" looks like...

It's when you spend the entire movie on your knees, pretending to be a dwarf.

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
madwarper said:
OT: We all know what "the role of a lifetime" looks like...

It's when you spend the entire movie on your knees, pretending to be a dwarf.
What... What did I just see?! I had never heard of this film but I'm pretty sure I need to talk about it on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and maybe we need an article about it on Escapist. I mean, Dinklage makes it relevant enough, right?

Edit: I mean, Oldman is so ridiculous that his role in this movie didn't even qualify for this:

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
madwarper said:
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Perhaps you're looking for something like this [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWZLa4AnN5k]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWZLa4AnN5k ->
[youtube=mWZLa4AnN5k] ->

Huh, it worked in Preview mode. oh well, you got the idea.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
XBox on - *****!

SecretImbecile said:
I'll address the elephant in the room. Who has the desire to put two TV screens within earshot of each other?
I believe XBone has picture in picture. I still don't get the specifics of how it would turn itself on, if it were already on or if.. you now what never mind, I don't feel like giving myself a headache trying to figure this one out.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
OH GOD AARON PAUL HAVE SEX WITH ME NOW.

OT: Who can watch TV and play a game at the same time? My tiny stupid brain can't comprehend two things at once.
My TV is for my xbox, I'm too poor to afford two TVs but my brother might have this problem because he has an open plan house and the front room TV is within earshot of the back room one.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Wow, I'm actually surprised that the Xbone voice recognition software is that sensitive. Usually, I have to repeat myself at least four times in various accents to get anything lie that to work.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
SacremPyrobolum said:
Wow, I'm actually surprised that the Xbone voice recognition software is that sensitive. Usually, I have to repeat myself at least four times in various accents to get anything lie that to work.
It's a commercial, of course the product is going to run flawlessly. Here's the trick though, he's not actually giving commands to an XBox One, he's just reading the lines, and post editing is taking care of the rest.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
WhiteTigerShiro said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
It's a commercial, of course the product is going to run flawlessly. Here's the trick though, he's not actually giving commands to an XBox One, he's just reading the lines, and post editing is taking care of the rest.
It works so well, it turn on other peoples consoles, which is what people were complaining about. Voice recognition software so sensitive that a commercial can set it off is impressive.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Am I the only one who thinks Aaron Paul is a strange choice for a celebrity to advertise a games console? Its just from Breaking Bad, it seemed the only time Jesse played video games was during his 'dark' periods, curtains drawn, high on meth, to scared to go out and doing nothing but shooting people in the face repeatedly. Seeing him playing games on his couch; clean-shaven and well-adjusted, happy and talking like a normal person just seems wrong somehow.

RavenTail

Oct 12, 2010
LaoJim said:
Am I the only one who thinks Aaron Paul is a strange choice for a celebrity to advertise a games console? Its just from Breaking Bad, it seemed the only time Jesse played video games was during his 'dark' periods, curtains drawn, high on meth, to scared to go out and doing nothing but shooting people in the face repeatedly. Seeing him playing games on his couch; clean-shaven and well-adjusted, happy and talking like a normal person just seems wrong somehow.
Yea, I mean if he's a confirmed big gamer IRL then it makes more sense. Otherwise it seems like a bit of an odd choice.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
LaoJim said:
Aaron Paul worries me. He seems like a genuinely nice guy and his work in Breaking Bad was great but he's hamstinging himself by becoming the 'bro' actor. I think he should take that unique and awesome voice into a studio and do some work for a few years on animated films and shows. He's a got a really unique voice and look but has done so little that its almost inevitable that he's going to be type cast like that. Doing voice work would let him stay relevant and use skills but not force him to be typed cast since you know most animated media don't focus much on frat boys in the actual work itself. I really would just like him to do something else that doesn't at all relate to his jesse pinkman character.