Xbox help. I have no place left to turn to

lightning38

Jul 14, 2009
I have had my xbox for about a year now and never had live but due to extraneous circumstances i find myself in possession of a wireless adaptor for my xbox. Naturally i was excited to behold the new and marvelous wonders to be had. However here is the reason for all of this.

I have a wireless network in my home and my entire family use mac computers. Whenever i have tried to connect to xbox live, it stops after the first step and says i connect to my home network. Microsoft trouble shooting has been monumentally useless and i was wondering if there are any tech wizards out there who could assist with my problem.

I will provide further details as they are required.

Thank you

delet

Nov 2, 2008
Maybe you have too many computers? Too many things connected to wireless can screw you over and keep Live from working, so try shutting down some of the computers, getting your 360 connected, then turning on the computers again. I've run into this type of issue every now and again.

lightning38

Jul 14, 2009
Aby_Z said:
Maybe you have too many computers? Too many things connected to wireless can screw you over and keep Live from working, so try shutting down some of the computers, getting your 360 connected, then turning on the computers again. I've run into this type of issue every now and again.
Well at the time of attempts to make it work there was only one computer on and we have up to 4 computer run perfectly fine. So im not quite sure if thats the cause. Thanks though :)

DND Judgement

Sep 30, 2008
Macs was never a problem for me when i lived with my mum there was only macs in her house and it connected fine... it depends on what kind of adaptor you're using is it a proper 360 1....?

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
U might have to punch in your xbox's id number or something like that into the router or vice versa, we have to do that at college.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Have you put the correct wireless code into the xbox? Have you made sure the wireless is actually allowing it?

I'm just spouting random things at you admitedly, chances are you will have just forgot to do something.

lightning38

Jul 14, 2009
DND Judgement said:
Macs was never a problem for me when i lived with my mum there was only macs in her house and it connected fine... it depends on what kind of adaptor you're using is it a proper 360 1....?
ya its an 360 N adapter

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
Perhaps it may have something to do with your network. Are you running a class G network, or and A? Maybe you are even running an N class. Surprisingly, this does have some effect. I might suggest trying to use a Cat5 cable and directly connect your Xbox to your internet router to see if that at least can connect you online. Since you run Mac computers, that should honestly have no negative outcome on your connection abilities.
If running a routine cable across to the system doesn't at least allow you to connect, you may have to consider calling Microsoft about sending in your system for repair. I haven't heard of many network cards in systems not working, but I'm sure it isn't out of the realm of possibilities.
I'm sure you'd rather be able to use the wireless connection, but at this point it would be more helpful to know if the console can connect at all.

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
lightning38 said:
Darktau said:
Explain the error message more?
along the lines of can not connect to wireless net work and no real reasons are given
Can it connect via wired (non-wireless) ?

Just test it, you don't have to live with it like that, it just narrows it down for us techhies.

I Resurection I

Sep 2, 2009
I know in my experience if all the bandwidth is being used up with the other computer on Facebook or youtube, and my laptop of one of them then my Xbox has won't connect because unless I unplug the wireless modem and restart it.

lightning38

Jul 14, 2009
GodKlown said:
Perhaps it may have something to do with your network. Are you running a class G network, or and A? Maybe you are even running an N class. Surprisingly, this does have some effect. I might suggest trying to use a Cat5 cable and directly connect your Xbox to your internet router to see if that at least can connect you online. Since you run Mac computers, that should honestly have no negative outcome on your connection abilities.
If running a routine cable across to the system doesn't at least allow you to connect, you may have to consider calling Microsoft about sending in your system for repair. I haven't heard of many network cards in systems not working, but I'm sure it isn't out of the realm of possibilities.
I'm sure you'd rather be able to use the wireless connection, but at this point it would be more helpful to know if the console can connect at all.
the cable option is not entirely viable right now and as for the network class im not rightly sure

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
lightning38 said:
GodKlown said:
the cable option is not entirely viable right now and as for the network class im not rightly sure
Since wiring testing isn't possible, does your router have a password etc.

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
lightning38 said:
Darktau said:
ya it had a wep key. however i got past that step and still nothing
Some routers require you to allow more connections in their settings area, you sure this is not the case?

EDIT: going to sleep now, if you want any more of my help, then send me a PM :) I will look at it in the morning

lightning38

Jul 14, 2009
Well thank you to all who gave me ideas but the problem has been solved and now i am successfully up and running :)
thanks to you all again