Xbox LIVE Is Hitching A Ride With Windows 8 to Your PC

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Scott Bullock said:
Perhaps if we're lucky, it will also lead to an increase in PC games that feature achievements and gamer score.
Because GFWL which features these things has been such a rollicking success, right?

Lets just realize MS doesn't care about us or our dirty PC games. Which is why they won't develop a usable PC centric online gaming platform. They'll just give us a what will more than likely be a piss-poor version of their console version. Like they already did. With GFWL.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Oh, Microsoft. Still trying to control everything I do on my computer I see. I mean I TOTALLY want a built in app store and I just can't imagine my life without the piece of shit that is Xbox Live. To be honest, I shouldn't be angry at Microsoft. I should be angry at Apple for introducing this bullshit scheme in the first place.

kurokenshi

Sep 2, 2009
Satsuki666 said:
kurokenshi said:
"PC games that feature achievements and gamer score" I believe this statement right here is what is currently fueling the deep hatred I have for consoles!

EDIT: Shouldn't the only achievement you worry about be finishing the game?
Shouldnt you not care about a feature that takes nothing away from the game but adds more for some people?
Really? Achievements/Trophies & Game score seem to be a selling point!

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
The entire world wide community of windows IT techs would like to say FUCK YOU MICROSOFT for html 5. fuck html its going to be a ***** to deal with the trouble shooting for older apps.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
As long as they're not pretending that Windows 8 is Microsoft's new plan to single-handedly save the PC gaming market, they can do whatever the fuck they want, and I really don't care.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Interesting if there where any xbox games I was interested that haven been ported to PC. But really PCs don't really need xbox live on them, hell I don't a GFWL type thing on my pc built right into the operating system.

I'm just installing the developer preview of win8 on vbox right now to give it a go. From what I've heard of it already it looks like I'm going to be staying with win7 for quite awhile.

doodger

May 19, 2010
Seems like it's gonna be windows/Arch linux dual boot again for a while...
Seriously, have they even LEARNED anything about vista? Do they really think that I want my pc to look like a GODDAMN smart phone when i already own a GODDAMN smartphone? I mean, it's so backward! Sigh...

IMO:For everygood thing Microsoft makes (windows 7, windows phone 7, the xbox 360(kinda)) they must bury me with a landslide of useless products :p

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I foresee the PC market and the console market merging in the future. This is certainly a step in that direction, especially coupled with digital distribution. Besides, Microsoft knows they essentially already have a lock on the PC game market. Maybe not through their XBL service, but people definitely need Windows to play PC games, and they know both Sony nor Nintendo can compete in that aspect.

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
I think I'm going to do an extravagant and out there thing: Stick with windows 7.

Im pretty sure 64 bit is nowhere near obsolete so the ram limit won't affect me within the next 5 years.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
kurokenshi said:
"PC games that feature achievements and gamer score" I believe this statement right here is what is currently fueling the deep hatred I have for consoles!

I fail to see why this is rage inducing. If you don't care about GS, do what most of us do and don't play for it.

UnderCoverGuest

May 24, 2010
Perhaps if we're lucky, it will also lead to an increase in PC games that feature achievements and gamer score.
Perhaps if we're even more lucky, it will lead to the complete ignorance of those silly things and result in more games for windows, period. Perhaps even better games, if god may yet be appealed to.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
James Crook said:
Heh, doesn't bother OR excite me.
I just hope they take Games For Windows Live and cram it up a random executive's arse. I'd prefer Xbox Live integration over stupid GFWL.

Oh, and I hope Windows 8 cock-slaps MacOS in the face, I'm tired of hearing so many people say "yeah it's better, doesn't slow down and doesn't get viruses"... (no problems with Macs here, it's just that it's annoying when people believe the PR marketing stuff)
It does all that for me. I'm not saying Windows by nature slows down, but OSX has proven to be fairly reliable and secure. It's just too bad Apple are major assholes now that they have money.

And yeah... Microsoft, late to the party, as usual. They may have some good ideas here though.

kurokenshi

Sep 2, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
kurokenshi said:

I fail to see why this is rage inducing. If you don't care about GS, do what most of us do and don't play for it.
It gets on my nerves because it shouldn't be a selling point it's an extra and it shouldn't interfere with the core games experience which they do! Oh look you started the game have an achievement!

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Low Key said:
I foresee the PC market and the console market merging in the future. This is certainly a step in that direction, especially coupled with digital distribution. Besides, Microsoft knows they essentially already have a lock on the PC game market. Maybe not through their XBL service, but people definitely need Windows to play PC games, and they know both Sony nor Nintendo can compete in that aspect.
You mean a merging where PC gamers don't even get a shitty port, they'll just get the 360 version straight up and lose everything that makes PC gaming what it is?

SIGN ME UP! /sarcasm

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Most readers understand the statement incorrectly.
Support for Xbox Live does not mean that you can play the retail games on Win8. You'll get the rest of the stuff and maybe the arcade, but support for Xbox 360 games is nonsense.
What you will get is a glorified GfWL.

Apr 5, 2008
TimeLord said:
I like it. I wonder if it will support cross-platform PC/360 gameplay?
It can't (well technically it could but it never will). The XBox hardware is identical in performance terms across the years...even later, more advanced versions of the console have to be tweaked down to precisely match performance of the original. The whole point is that it's consistent and the same across the board. The PC has different controls, hardware and outperforms the 360 by many times. It would not be fair or balanced on console owners to compete with PC players. I think the only genre that could work is anything turn-based. Anything real-time or twitch gameplay would never work.

On topic, not sure if I particularly care about this feature. GfWL is precisely the same thing, all Win8 will do is slipstream it in some more. Don't care for it on the PC, but it looks like MS want to push PC gaming in that direction too. *sigh* I'll prob stick with Win7 for as long as I'm able, the same as I did with XP.

Illithidae

Oct 19, 2010
I'm sorry, what?

... built-in connection to Xbox LIVE.
Why do I need this? What possible use does it have when I already have internet? Will this mean I have to pay for Windows, er, I mean, Xbox LIVE to run the internet on my computer?

According to Microsoft spokesblogger Larry Herb's (aka Major Nelson) blog, adding LIVE functionality to the desktop and mobile side of Windows "brings your games, music, movies, and TV shows to your favorite Microsoft and Windows devices."
But I already CAN do that! With my PC!

No thanks Mr. Bullock, I have Steam for that.

Windows 8 will come with a built-in "Windows Store"
No thanks.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
TimeLord said:
I like it. I wonder if it will support cross-platform PC/360 gameplay?
I think me and you will be the only people on here to like it.

OT: I don't see the problem here, if you don't want to use the XBL feature...then don't? Sheesh.