Xbox Live Offers Free Entertainment App Weekend

targren

May 13, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Before you post make sure you don't act rude. It's unprofessional and bound to get replies like this.
You might try to take your own advice. The post I was responding to was borderline trolling and this one is little better.

Besides, if you have Netflix and an Xbox, I would assume you'd BE USING YOUR COMPUTER
This doesn't make any sense, unless it's a failed attempt to be ironic. My point was that there are devices that do the job better and don't cost an extra $60/year for no good reason.

Furthermore, you are paying to use Microsoft's servers to be connected.
Wrong. Learn how the internet works. The only reason I'm connecting to Microsoft at all is because they've mandated that you have to authenticate to a Live Gold account in order to access Netflix. There's no technical reason that my Xbox couldn't connect to Netflix without touching the live servers at all. It's just an MS cash grab. Neither my Wii nor the PS3 require a paid subscription to access it, and it sure as hell isn't because Nintendo and Sony are "generous."

Also, since you clearly don't know what an HTPC is: Home Theater PC. It's plugged into my TV, same as my Xbox, not "firing up my laptop."

Lastly, no one gives 4 shits about what your PC is and what it can do. Calm down and realize this before you sound like a goddamn 4th grader.
You might work on your own reading comprehension before you start throwing around comments like this. Glass houses and all.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Asuka Soryu said:
I seriously will never understand XBox Live. So, I have to pay to access something, I need to pay for as well, that everyone else will let me access for free?

If I can say anything about XBox fans, they'll never fault Microsoft for ripping them off, or releasing a console that commits suicide.
That may be the most upfront way to start a flame war, ever.

I got my Xbox about 4 months after it came out and since then it's died on me only twice. Why do I still like Microsoft?

A: they handled the situation as best they could, it was definitely an oversight they learned from and I applaud them for being professional about it
B: Exclusives
C: reliable service for online. Honestly, I feel you need to HAVE an Xbox to understand its value, not play it once but have it for like a year.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
targren said:
Snipity what the fuck.
1. How about you try reading my post again. Its not trolling and I'm being upfront and honest. That weekend was a demo for services that require you to pay for them, so in essence, its totally worth trying. and SO LONG AS YOU WERE PAYING, you could try them out. Theortetically Its like getting an advanced version of steam, if you were pay for its services, you can get bonuses because you are paying instead of people who are not paying.

2. I will admit I should have elaborated on that point more. What I meant was if you have an Xbox that is not connected to the internet, and netflix. I would assume you'd use netflix on your computer.

I'll try simpler terms here:

When one connects to xbox live they should see this:

You see that X? that means they cannot connect the Xbox Live! Now then, in order to access the services they must connect to Xbox Live because they are running the services through the Xbox Live servers, which are down in this picture. When Xbox Live is up and running, the service I payed for kicks in and I get to enjoy all the features I wanted to for having Xbox Live gold, including the bonuses. We may all be connected to the internet, but the Xbox using Xbox Live, a service which you pay for to access your other services. If you want to watch Netflix? You must have it to watch it, why? Because the services you want are running through Xbox Live SERVERS.

4. I have honestly no idea what you mean by glass houses, and before you call me a "Dumb Dumb" or something along those lines I've never heard this phrase in the years that I've existed on this planet.
Also, I meant to say in all seriousness, not one person cares what you play on, they only care what you target and make accusations of "stealing money" from.

targren

May 13, 2009
Terminate421 said:
targren said:
Snipity what the fuck.
1. How about you try reading my post again. Its not trolling and I'm being upfront and honest. That weekend was a demo for services that require you to pay for them, so in essence, its totally worth trying. and SO LONG AS YOU WERE PAYING, you could try them out. Theortetically Its like getting an advanced version of steam, if you were pay for its services, you can get bonuses because you are paying instead of people who are not paying.
I read your post. The only thing to be gleaned about it is that your knee-jerk defense of Xbox Live and your assertion that "you are paying to use Microsoft's servers to be connected" is evidence that you really don't know how the internet works and that you're completely missing the point.

I pay Netflix for access to their catalog. I pay my ISP to connect to Netflix servers. There's NO reason I should have to access Microsoft's servers AT ALL, except that Microsoft wanted to limit access to those who pay them a cut they've done nothing to earn.

2. I will admit I should have elaborated on that point more. What I meant was if you have an Xbox that is not connected to the internet, and netflix. I would assume you'd use netflix on your computer.
I'll try simpler terms here:

Snipped pointless tier-1 Xbox live troubleshooting. It's not relevant to anything

4. I have honestly no idea what you mean by glass houses, and before you call me a "Dumb Dumb" or something along those lines I've never heard this phrase in the years that I've existed on this planet.
"People who live in glass houses should not throw stones." In other words, before you start flaming people for "sounding like 4th graders" you should be sure that your own argument holds any water. Yours, unfortunately, does not.

Also, I meant to say in all seriousness, not one person cares what you play on, they only care what you target and make accusations of "stealing money" from.
And I never used the word "stealing." I said "making a cash grab". If you don't understand that phrase either, look it up. Now sit down before you hurt yourself, and be quiet so the grownups can talk.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Terminate421 said:

You see that X? that means they cannot connect the Xbox Live! Now then, in order to access the services they must connect to Xbox Live because they are running the services through the Xbox Live servers, which are down in this picture. When Xbox Live is up and running, the service I payed for kicks in and I get to enjoy all the features I wanted to for having Xbox Live gold, including the bonuses. We may all be connected to the internet, but the Xbox using Xbox Live, a service which you pay for to access your other services. If you want to watch Netflix? You must have it to watch it, why? Because the services you want are running through Xbox Live SERVERS.
All that is is Xbox Live authorising an Xbox to connect to nexflix servers, it's like a parent saying you are allowed to walk outside. Authorisation that is totally arbitrary as when I run netflix on my laptop I of course don't have to connect with any Microsoft servers.

Authorisation is minuscule server load. The huge task of streaming HD video and paying for all licencing is entirely managed by Netflix. And of course you pay a fee to use netflix.

They are NOT running through nor from Xbox Servers.

Even when you play online multiplayer games, Xbox server load is absolutely minuscule. Games are NOT hosted on servers that Microsoft have paid for, they are hosted on user's consoles or the game publisher provides servers as part of the price of the game.

XBL Gold Membership is nothing but an arbitrary subsidy for Microsoft "because they can". Because they have a monopoly on network connections on their system then they can charge whatever they like for it.