Xbox Live Sign-In Problems Are "Not a Titanfall Issue" - Update

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Xbox Live Sign-In Problems Are "Not a Titanfall Issue" - Update

Xbox Live is struggling with service issues but Microsoft insist it's not being caused by Titanfall.

Update: Xbox Live (mostly) bounced back sometime late last night or in the wee hours of the morning, depending on your time zone, but it's still reporting here [http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status].

Original Story:

If you're an Xbox Live user, you may well be having trouble signing into the service right now. A quick trip to the Xbox Live Status site indicates that "core services" are limited for Xbox One users, specifically related to the ability to log in. The timing of the trouble makes today's launch of Titanfall an obvious suspect, but Microsoft says it's not to blame.

"If you are having issues signing into Xbox Live, we are aware of it and actively working on the issue," Larry Hryb, AKA Major Nelson, tweeted a few minutes ago. "This is not a #Titanfall issue."

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/443498090561933312]

Titanfault or not, it is terrible timing indeed. We'll keep you posted.

Source: Xbox [http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status]

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
REALLY

Really

God damn it. :p

I did see people having issues on stream with Xbox live, though, but that was when playing Derk Seuls Tew. I assume having several somewhat massive releases can probably become problematic.

Either that or, as said, it's a coinkidink that a huge launch happens and Msoft accidentally their live servers. In which case... It must be really fun playing not Titanfall during these troubles? :L

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
This reminds me a lot of Diablo 3, SimCity and all those other games with online requirements that suddenly all crashed when there were more connections than "anticipated".
Seems like the Xbox servers weren't prepared for the number of people wanting to play one of the most hyped up and marketed games.
Nobody at Microsoft probably thought that people would actually buy an XBone, let alone play a highly marketed game on it.

Just like SimCity's launch problems weren't due to SimCity but because EA used shitty servers. Seems like the same happened here.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
I am not sure what is going on, but even the Battle.net service for Blizzard products are being slow as well.

Mister Chippy

Jun 12, 2013
Well, Microsoft managed to almost singlehandedly demonstrate most of what's wrong with their new idea of how gaming should be in the future with this incident.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Yes, clearly the probably umpteen millions of people who bought Titanfall on launch have nothing whatsoever to do with the XBL service being overloaded and unable to cope. My god, how could people be so blind as to leap to such a difficult and illogical conclusion? No company would dare release an online-only product and, despite ludicrously high sales estimates and a pre-release demo to gauge consumer interest, not have enough servers to meet the demand. Surely that would never happen to the likes of EA, Blizzard, Microsoft, and EA again. There's no way.

^The above is entirely sarcasm by the way, for the thickies out there.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Andy Chalk, now channeling DVS BSTRD for all your punn-ishment needs.

OT: I'm on the PC version (well, in 2 days, cos you know, UK) so I presume this won't affect me. Will the PC version be running on MS servers? I guess not, though that brings up the ugly beaten corpse of EA's recent online releases.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Isalan said:
OT: I'm on the PC version (well, in 2 days, cos you know, UK) so I presume this won't affect me. Will the PC version be running on MS servers? I guess not, though that brings up the ugly beaten corpse of EA's recent online releases.
To be honest, I'd have much more faith in Microsoft to not screw up a launch of an online-only game and not destroy their own servers than EA.
Seeing as Microsoft did just that, I do not want to imagine what EA will do.
That would be one monumental fuck-up that would eclipse the combined failure of the SimCity launch, Diablo3 launch, the existence of DNF, Diakatana and A:CM.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Isn't Xborks Live on the 'Bone supposed to have super fantastic mega cloud servers or is today their day off? I have a fresh roll of tinfoil at the ready so I can suggest that Microsoft are covering up such a monumentally fucked up game launch that it managed to break Xbox Live too, but it's probably something less silly so no tinfoilhats today :(

axys

Aug 26, 2009
Well, it's now into hour2 of the outage. I was playing some AC:BF when it dropped out; it fell out weirdly though, just like the video glitch that the last patch was supposed to fix. I can only imagine how out-of-their minds newly purchased Titanfall gamers are atm.

electric method

Jul 20, 2010
LOL!! Liars! I am experiencing this issue and talked with a XBL customer service rep that told me "This is a result of restarts of the European Titanfall servers for a fix/update that then caused login problems over there then migrated to the US and created the need to restart the US log in servers. This is not a problem on your end, but on ours. We are working to resolve this and it should be about an hour." That was 1 hour 15 min ago.

So, yeah. It is related to Titanfall and an update for it. Morons... And of course they'd say it's not related to such an "epic" game as Titanfall so as to not scare off people from buying the damned thing. Let alone admitting they screwed up a game launch worse than EA or Blizzard.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
But but but...the Cloud!

Perhaps Microsoft should have some of those 300,000 Azure servers available now?

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Meanwhile, on PC, Servers overflooded and lagged for the first 10 minutes, then smoothened out and everyone hopped on.

Consoles, not even once.

Disclaimer: The above statement was a joke, and is not meant to offend anyone of any system.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
For the record, I have no idea if this is because of Titanfall or not, I'm just going by what the Major says. Regardless of the reason, the problem is still ongoing - it's obviously pretty serious.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
electric method said:
LOL!! Liars! I am experiencing this issue and talked with a XBL customer service rep that told me "This is a result of restarts of the European Titanfall servers for a fix/update that then caused login problems over there then migrated to the US and created the need to restart the US log in servers. This is not a problem on your end, but on ours. We are working to resolve this and it should be about an hour." That was 1 hour 15 min ago.

So, yeah. It is related to Titanfall and an update for it. Morons... And of course they'd say it's not related to such an "epic" game as Titanfall so as to not scare off people from buying the damned thing. Let alone admitting they screwed up a game launch worse than EA or Blizzard.
I'm not sure how you managed to prove Titanfall isn't the problem and still blame Titanfall for the problem, but somehow you did it.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
CriticKitten said:
smithy_2045 said:
electric method said:

I'm not sure how you managed to prove Titanfall isn't the problem and still blame Titanfall for the problem, but somehow you did it.
I'm not sure how you managed to read that customer service rep quote as "this isn't Titanfall's fault" when the quote in question very clearly states that the only reason these server problems exist is because they were rolling a fix to Titanfall that caused login problems with Titanfall, thus forcing a restart of all servers. But somehow you did it. :p
From the way electric method's post was worded, the Live problems are universal, not isolated to Titanfall, and it was a problem that could've hypothetically been caused by any game, it just happened to be Titanfall.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Ferisar said:
Andy Chalk said:
REALLY

Really

God damn it. :p
Can you blame him? I beat him and everyone else to Titanfail. That's not a personal desire or anything. Titanfall DOES look good. I'm just seeing a pattern here.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
So an online only game completely botches up at launch? OK, then.