Xbox Live Summer of Arcade Recap

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007

Here's a quick recap of the five games that were featured during Xbox Live's Summer of Arcade.

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Limbo:

Amazing. Simply amazing.

Hydro Thunder:

Eh. Bought it to complete my collection of all 5 Summer of Arcade games. It's actually really fun, but easily the worst game of the bunch.

Castlevania:

STOP HARPING ON THE TIME LIMIT. GEEZ!

It never ran out for me.

But yeah the solo play is lacking. But once you get decent equips and learn to master the Castlevania art of dodging everything...you can solo hard mode easy. I like the challenge myself. It's hard, but not Megaman levels of hard.

Monday Night Combat:

Really fun. And the devs can "patch" it without actually making a patch. Somehow.

Lara Croft:

Lengthy, replayable, and brings new life to a stale franchise.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Lara Croft! So many memories there...made me smile every time

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
Here are my one sentence reviews of the Summer Of Arcade.
Limbo
Hauntingly beautiful to look at and subtly compelling to play.
Hydro Thunder Hurricane
A bright, breezy and high-octane game with the perfect summer feel to it.
Castlevania:Harmony Of Despair
A great team game, but too grind-heavy.
Monday Night Combat
An entertaining Team Fortress 2-esqe base defense shooter, with great charter variety.
Lara Croft And The Guardian Of Light
Classic tomb raiding from a new perspective, but currently lacking online co-op.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Only disagreement I have with the article is with Lara Croft. It didn't have enough time to finish off the network code for online play, that is not a polished game if we have to wait for a patch to give online functionality. In the new Xbox/PS3 age no one wants to go somewhere else to play a game they could play at home.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
To define which game I wanted most out of all of those, allow me to personify my opinion through the following statement:

"HYDROOOOOOOO THUNDER!!!!!"

"THREE!!! TWO!!! ONE!!!! GO, GO, GO!!!!!"

So yeah, I thought probably go get Xbox Live Gold soon. Had I known that such a gem had been transported to the 360, I would've picked it up sooner!

naughtydoggus

Dec 21, 2009
How come Scott Pilgrim vs. The World wasn't in this list? That has got to be one of the best downloadable games I've played in a while.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Bought all 5 as well and Lara Croft is easily my favourite.Much more actiony than normal TR games.Can't wait for the online co-op to play through it with my buddy

Limbo was very enjoyable while it lasted but frankly for the length and lack of re-playability it was a bit expensive

Hydro Thunder is fun and frustrating in equal measure.Kinda reminds me of a watery Mario Kart

Monday Night Combat is the game I was least bothered about but it turned out to be great fun

Castlevania is the weakest in my opinion.Too much grinding and single player is a bit dull.Still considering I'll be refunded the price of it I can't complain too much

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
naughtydoggus said:
How come Scott Pilgrim vs. The World wasn't in this list? That has got to be one of the best downloadable games I've played in a while.
Because it wasn't part of the Summer of Arcade promotion.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Monday Night Combat:

Really fun. And the devs can "patch" it without actually making a patch. Somehow.
I remember that, me and my friend were sitting there on the release day complaining about how ridiculously overpowered the assaults were, and behold, like gaming gods, Uber entertainment striketh down...'d the assaults rifle and running speed (or at least that's what seemed to have been patched) to make things more acceptable. TBH, he is still a little overpowered IMO, but it works well now.

And hey! I did a thread about this last night and it died almost instantly! Dammit.

Anyway, I think this year's summer of arcade was brilliant. I don't think I know a single person who hasn't bought at least one of the titles, and I personally bought all five, although I wasn't too fussed about castlevania, but I figured effectively getting free with the rebate offer made it worth a purchase. Coming to think of it, I've already become kinda addicted to it, despite the fact that I don't have any decent co-op partners ATM. :G

IMO, the games in order of worst to best were:

Castlevania HoD:

Like I said, I bought this partially to cash in on the full rebate offer, but it's pretty fun, even in solo, and like Onyx Oblivion said, I've always either completed the stage, or died, before the time limit ran out, so I don't really see people's problem with it. Having all of the greatest Castlevania characters (and monsters) in one game was pretty cool too.

Hydro thunder hurricane:

Most people I know didn't seem to like this, but I loved it. Fast, insane, and good looking, it was waterborne nonsense at over 9000 knots an hour.

Limbo:

Simply mind blowing. It messes with your mind throughout, and constantly unerves you with bleak immagery and the multiple grisly deaths of the lightbulb-eyed boy. All this atmosphere, and brilliantly simple platformer gameplay.

Lara croft and the guardian of light:

Typical, eh? The lara croft franchise spends years being stupidly ambitious and spectactualarly failing each time, and then it goes for a isometric view platformer/shooter, and it's awesome. Tons of replay value, fun shooting, good puzzles, and single player and co-op living side by side without messing each other up, albeit an online co-op which won't be finished for a month...

Monday night combat:

Amazing, if sometimes infuriating, multiplayer which perfectly mixes strategy with simple shooting skill, and an intense co op mode. Sure, it's stolen alot from TF2, but it's also vastly different, and hey, valve, this is what you get when you don't look after your console ports properly.

Vilcus

Jun 29, 2009
Doclector said:
Monday night combat:

Amazing, if sometimes infuriating, multiplayer which perfectly mixes strategy with simple shooting skill, and an intense co op mode. Sure, it's stolen alot from TF2, but it's also vastly different, and hey, valve, this is what you get when you don't look after your console ports properly.
I actually don't think it took very much from TF2 at all. The only thing they have in common really is the style, and even that's unique. This is more like DotA from Warcraft three, but in TPS mode, and actually fun. Remember, TF2 wasn't the first one to introduce class play into games, and they won't be the last. Although I will admit that the Support's heal/hurt gun is a total rip off of TF2.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
So Monday Night Combat...did I hear that the phrase 'bot matches'?

I'm on the fence about that one but it looks really good.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I only care about 2 of the 5 (Castlevainia HD, and Tombs of Light), So even if I had XBLA I wouldn't get a rebate I guess.

Jul 22, 2009
Colonel Alzheimer said:
Are they still doing the deal where you'll get 400 points if you buy 3 games, or did that expire?
It's on until the 31st of august.

I loved Monday Night Combat and the new Lara Croft game.

Limbo was good too so I bought that as well.

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
naughtydoggus said:
Because it wasn't part of the Summer of Arcade promotion.
Plus it came out yesterday, TSOA was announced before that.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Susan Arendt said:

Here's a quick recap of the five games that were featured during Xbox Live's Summer of Arcade.

Read Full Article
The homepage link for this article says "We show the games that during XBOX Live's Summer of Arcade".
Missing a word or a word too many?

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Live Arcade put out some great games for their promotion.

I love Monday Night Combat.
So much that if this ISNT the Monday Night Sport of the future then i will be sorely disappointed.

I can see how it can me linked to TF2 but, its not that noticeable.
Just the Art style and Class biased game play, everything else is pretty original and fun.

I love Playing as the Gunner, easily my favorite class, i especially love the units personality.
"Gravy Bra"
My buddy is a beast as the Support

Now, as for Hydro Thunder:Hurricane....

HYDRO THUNDER!
HURRICANE!
I love it, it reminds me of an older arcade Racer where you piloted Hover Boats on water Tracks, you could boost, destroy the environment, and use weapons to disable the other ships.

Anyway, its a lot of fun, and the tracks are a blast to look at while racing.