Xbox One 12-Minute Demo Shows Swift Dashboard

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Xbox One 12-Minute Demo Shows Swift Dashboard

<youtube=xhe6jV-APwM>​
An extensive demo of the Xbox One, its dashboard, apps, and Kinect demonstrates responsive user interface.

Microsoft's videos of the Xbox One have done a good job of showing off features but a bad job of demonstrating the use of the Xbox One's dashboard and Kinect in real-time. A 12-minute demo led by Xbox corporate vice president Marc Whitten and chief marketing and strategy officer Yusuf Medhi. The video covers a lot of ground, such as instant switching, signing in biometrically, Skype, gameplay recording, and a lot of voice commands.

The Xbox One recognizes both Whitten and Mehdi as soon as the cover is removed from the Kinect. Both Whitten and Mehdi can switch between their respective dashboards with voice recognition. Users can customize the content of their dashboard, pinning apps they use more frequently. Whitten has his game of Forza Motorsport 5 paused and notes that whenever the player goes to the dashboard, the game will pause. Resuming it requires no loading times. The two fly through several apps to show how quickly the Kinect responds to voice commands. With an occasional brief lag, Kinect recognizes who is in the room and picks up Whitten's and Mehdi's voices clearly.

A member from the Microsoft team named Harry Goodwin sends Whitten and Mehdi a Skype call. Connecting the call takes about the same time you would expect it to take from computer to computer, depending on your internet connection, and the Kinect camera gives a widescreen view on Skype. Goodwin walks around his living room to show how the Kinect camera follows him and adjust the view to keep him relatively in the center of the frame.

The demo does not show off a snapping demo, a feature that lets users do two things simultaneously. However, the demo does feel much more an accurate demonstration than the marketing videos previously.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhe6jV-APwM]

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Its actually kind of neat on how I can do other stuff without leaving the game entirely although having everything runing on the background probably takes a performance hit (that whole X RAM for games and Y RAM for the 3 OSs)

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I'm still not getting an Xbox One unless it gets a damn good exclusive or two, but this looks pretty slick. If it were by quality of dashboard alone, I'd pick the Xb1 over the PS4 in a heartbeat.

P.S. Thanks

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
I'll admit that actually looks really great. I wish they had more customization to show off beyond just color changes, but everything looked much simpler to get around and find, and the mulitasking with the game running in the background looks nice. And i'm assuming Skype can be used as a voice chat while games are running? Because that would be fantastic. Headsets, being uncomfortable past 10 minutes, are the reason I gave up on voice chatting on my Xbox. Overall I'm pleasantly impressed with what they showed off here.

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
jollybarracuda said:
I'll admit that actually looks really great. I wish they had more customization to show off beyond just color changes, but everything looked much simpler to get around and find, and the mulitasking with the game running in the background looks nice. And i'm assuming Skype can be used as a voice chat while games are running? Because that would be fantastic. Headsets, being uncomfortable past 10 minutes, are the reason I gave up on voice chatting on my Xbox. Overall I'm pleasantly impressed with what they showed off here.
What they didn't show is any kinect gesture based navigation. This was a cool but gimmicky feature of gen 1 kinect. I am wondering how it will integrate into the overall experience. All in all though this is looking pretty cool to me as a 360 user.

Censorme

Nov 19, 2009
A lot of Xbox One supporters wished that the unveiling would've solely been about what the features DO instead of ARE (like this video.)
They believe that the engineer-speak was the REAL cause of the back-lash...

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Yes, it's neat. A nifty used of voice system, but I'm still not sold on the camera. Unfortunately it's the cornerstone to their device. But seeing as I can change things with my controller seems moot to have voice options. Some things I'm curious about; Skype. Not a big fan of the service, but the question is can you log in as invisible? I get home from work and want to play solo and people call me up? He mentioned it only works when it knows you're there. Don't want to be a jerk and ignore or deny calls since I don't want to be bothered. I pray there's an option to turn it on and off. Which brings me to the next point of inquiry; can I turn the Xbox One off? I'm sure the answer is yes, but the way it's integrated with the cable can I turn it off if I want to watch TV? They way they used it made it seem like a middle man for all my video services (which I can change on the fly). Normally I only turn on my system for gaming or movies. My computer is the only thing I leave on all the time (course it goes to sleep).

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Arawn said:
Yes, it's neat. A nifty used of voice system, but I'm still not sold on the camera. Unfortunately it's the cornerstone to their device. But seeing as I can change things with my controller seems moot to have voice options. Some things I'm curious about; Skype. Not a big fan of the service, but the question is can you log in as invisible? I get home from work and want to play solo and people call me up? He mentioned it only works when it knows you're there. Don't want to be a jerk and ignore or deny calls since I don't want to be bothered. I pray there's an option to turn it on and off. Which brings me to the next point of inquiry; can I turn the Xbox One off? I'm sure the answer is yes, but the way it's integrated with the cable can I turn it off if I want to watch TV? They way they used it made it seem like a middle man for all my video services (which I can change on the fly). Normally I only turn on my system for gaming or movies. My computer is the only thing I leave on all the time (course it goes to sleep).
I don't know whether the Xbox One can sign you on as invisible, but I do know that you can choose to display yourself as "offline". You can see the option for it at the 10:20 mark.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Jeez, it took them forever to login into that skype account. Then again this may be Skype created problem, as skype is a huge resource hog.
Then again, i dont wnat skype to automatically fullscreen on me, i want to do other thigns while skype sits there in the corner showing me the person in the corner. However this would not be possible with Xbox since it cant multitask. it just freezes other stuff in the bacground.

Also saying that this dashboard was swift is an insult. it takes forever to alt-tab for them. though that could be fault of voice recognision as it seemt to take most of its time actually trying to find out what they are saying.

As for the skype call itself, god that echo from the guy with the dog....

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Strazdas said:
Also saying that this dashboard was swift is an insult. it takes forever to alt-tab for them. though that could be fault of voice recognision as it seemt to take most of its time actually trying to find out what they are saying.
I think that it was the voice recognition, and it was still swift as fuck in comparision to the Xbox 360/PS3 dashboards.

And I do believe that you can have it multitask like this:

And the game doesnt pause, you can see with Forza that the game keeps running on the background, when he comes back he is in a different position, the only thing that I saw pausing was the TV where it stayed on the last frame to then update to the live feed.

It still isnt worth it to have the console take a hit to have a smooth dashboard but that its a smooth dashboard it certainly is.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
josemlopes said:
Strazdas said:
I think that it was the voice recognition, and it was still swift as fuck in comparision to the Xbox 360/PS3 dashboards.

And I do believe that you can have it multitask like this:

And the game doesnt pause, you can see with Forza that the game keeps running on the background, when he comes back he is in a different position, the only thing that I saw pausing was the TV where it stayed on the last frame to then update to the live feed.

It still isnt worth it to have the console take a hit to have a smooth dashboard but that its a smooth dashboard it certainly is.
wellyes in comparison to what they had before it is faster. still though machine like this shoudl alttab instantly, especially cosndiering its OS is not runing many other programs.
The game, or at least Forza, definatelly pause. You can see both times he returns to the game after exiting while driving that the game is in "pause menu", so it must have entered that automatically.

Also we know this dashboard is definatelly fake. After all, 75% of it isnt covered with advertisement.