Xbox One Achievements Are About More Than Gamerscore

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Motivation to play games? Yeah because us gamers hate games and need every possible reason we can get to play them.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Simple Bluff said:
Erm... nobody at MS actually SAID that. That was a joke by Cognimancer.
Anyway, I'm not against the idea. Achievements are cool I suppose, but they're so much nicer when you can get unlockables with them. I just hope that they unlock more in-game content (WHERE THE HELL DID BIG HEAD MODE GO, INSOMNIAC) than sneak peek stuff. But even if not, it's still a bonus.
The person who wrote the article said that?
That was supposed to be a joke?

My god Text sucks.

So after Susan left who's doing the Editor-and-Chief-ing? Nobody?

There's supposed to be some degree of quality control, someone who proofs the work and also says things like "Hey, you see this thing, that was supposed to be a joke... It doesn't really come across as one. And it...uh, also kind of sounds like a direct quote from someone at the company because it's in the tag line of the article... You might want to consider rewording it before posting it, cause... ya know this is the internet, and somebody might, ya know... read it... and over react to something that didn't happen... Just, ya know... food for thought."

And then start filling in a Pink Slip.

I still don't want Achievements tied to my TV watching habits, because I get a little OCD so if I had that one stupid achievement left like "Watch the SuperBowl" or "Sing along to the Kinnect during the American Idol finale" Or Sit through all the commercials" "Miss the first 5 minutes of Game of Thrones and then don't swear at the television" And then feel compelled to get them.

Xbox 360 was my favorite last gen, and Xbone is an amalgamation of the worst ideas ever. There's no conceivable reason for them to do what they did, and it makes me angry.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Mikeyfell said:

My god Text sucks.

There's supposed to be some degree of quality control, someone who proofs the work and also says things like "Hey, you see this thing, that was supposed to be a joke... It doesn't really come across as one. And it...uh, also kind of sounds like a direct quote from someone at the company because it's in the tag line of the article... You might want to consider rewording it before posting it, cause... ya know this is the internet, and somebody might, ya know... read it... and over react to something that didn't happen... Just, ya know... food for thought."

So because you can't detect what to the rest of the world is obvious sarcasm, you think they should be fired.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I used to watch stuff on Netflix or from a USB on the 360 and when someone signed in, I'd say to the person I was watching it with, "Huh, I thought I'd got an achievement for watching TV then!"

I think Microsoft have been spying on me...

I suppose the challenges sound interesting.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Mikeyfell said:

My god Text sucks.

So because you can't detect what to the rest of the world is obvious sarcasm, you think they should be fired.
Short answer... Yes.

Long answer: If that was "obvious sarcasm" to you then bravo to you. I couldn't tell, because there was no indication in the article that that wasn't a genuine opinion and the only indication that it wasn't an actual quote from a Microsoft employe it the lack of quotation marks around it. (Yes I missed the lack of quotes the first time I read the article, mea culpa.)

I doubt the rest of the world could have guessed it was sarcasm, I count 6 people that thought it was a genuine remark in this very comment thread.
If the opening line in an article is going to be a positive remark (That is supposed to be sarcastic) the rest of the article can't have such a positive tone to it if you expect anyone to get the sarcasm.

Like If I said "The Xbox One will be the best console ever!"
Then went on to talk about the good things (LoL) about the Xbone and not express my disapproval at Microsoft's shitty DRM or the Kinnect, you'd have no reason to suspect any sarcasm.

Just like saying "Microsoft's overhauled Achievements and Challenges systems will, at long last, give you the motivation you need to play videogames."

And then writing an article that only touches on the new positive aspects of the new achievement system.

If the writer worked for me, I'd tell 'em to take the line out or change the body of the article to give the impression that it was in deed sarcasm, like use more quips, or talk about the negative aspects of tying an arbitrary skinner box mechanic to every aspect of the entertainment system.

As it stands now it's not good writing (Just don't tell the mods I said that...)