Xbox One Almost Didn't Have a Disk Drive at All

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Xbox One Almost Didn't Have a Disk Drive at All

In the end, the large file size of next-gen games killed the "no disk drive" argument.

We all know that Microsoft was pushing for a brighter, digital, always-online future with the Xbox One, and now Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer has revealed that in order to pursue this vision, they debated removing the console's optical drive altogether. Spencer says that ultimately, the ginormous file size of next-gen games was what killed the "no disk drive" argument.

"There was a real discussion about whether we should have an optical disc drive in Xbox One or if we could get away with a purely disc-less console," Spencer told IGN [http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/01/02/microsoft-debated-removing-xbox-ones-disc-drive], "But when you start looking at bandwidth and game size, it does create issues."

"So we decided - which I think was the right decision - to go with the Blu-ray drive and give the people an easy way to install a lot of content. From some of those original thoughts, you saw a lot of us really focusing on the digital ecosystem you see on other devices - thinking of and building around that."

Considering the immense backlash surrounding the console's initial "always-online" nature (that eventually led to its reversal), I think most of us would agree with Spencer, in that keeping the disk drive was the right decision.

Do you only purchase physical disks for your platform of choice, or do you purchase everything digitally? I do a mix of both - I like to have disks for my consoles, while my PC games are almost exclusively digital downloads.

Source: IGN [http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/01/02/microsoft-debated-removing-xbox-ones-disc-drive]

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
What a surprise, anther stupid descion that was overturned / changed / backed out of.

It's almost like they didnt wanna sell the console from the get go.

Ok i'm done xbox bashing now.

Oh, and whether i get digital or physical depends on the price, whatever is cheaper. Just bought a TON of steam games due to the sale, but if it is cheaper to get it on disc, then thats where i am going.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Now, now Microsoft. Just because you're telling us how it could have been worse doesn't mean it isn't bad now.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Yeah that would have worked pay $60 for a game that is kept on there servers that can then be deleted whenever they want because of a ToS agreement.

That would have ended well.
I think you mean, pay $60 for a game, pay $60 a year for XBL Gold to gain access to it, then pay another $60 a year for access to XBL Gold Premium Cloud Storage because the HDD isn't big enough.

Then get banned and lose it all for swearing at the machine when it can't stay connected and keeps dropping you out of game...

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Ultimately, the decider should've been "Well damn, we're never gonna beat out Steam in digital game distribution.".

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Weeell... it's not like a disc and digital downloads are the only options. What about high-speed flashdrives and whatnot as an alternative to discs? Those are getting faster and bigger all the time.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Is this really news? I mean, obviously Microsoft probably didn't want to license the blu-ray technology, and obviously they had a very strong preference for always-online, digital-download experience (and I'm sure game publishers would have supported that second point wholeheartedly to do away with the evils of second hand game sales). In fact, I would be more surprised if the next iteration of consoles (if we ever get them) had disc drives than if they didn't.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
A little disappointed this didn't come to fruition, disc based media is almost certainly on the way out, anything to speed that up would be a plus IMO. Hopefully it comes soon enough that the government goes with FttP instead of FttN for the NBN so we aren't doomed to remain stuck with internet that's the laughing stock of the rest of the world.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I'm not surprised by that at all. Bogos has a point, almost ALL PC games are digital only at this point, and the few big ones out there typically have a Digital Collector's Edition (ala Starcraft) that often give you more content than their physical counterparts.

Also, as much as we want to insult the idea, Apple has the Macbook Air which has no disk drive, and it's been bringing them a profit for a few years now so it's not even unheard of. They definitely have slightly different user bases, but functionally it's proof that it could work.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Considering there's a story running RIGHT NOW about how several Marvel titles have been yanked from digital distribution...
... Yeah, screw digital only. If they had their way, those games would be lost forever.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
smithy_2045 said:
A little disappointed this didn't come to fruition, disc based media is almost certainly on the way out, anything to speed that up would be a plus IMO. Hopefully it comes soon enough that the government goes with FttP instead of FttN for the NBN so we aren't doomed to remain stuck with internet that's the laughing stock of the rest of the world.
Are you kidding? That would only encourage them, since they're hell-bent on pushing the idea that people only need faster Internet for games and downloading movies.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
BigTuk said:
Well we know that half the reason anyone buys an apple product is to show that they have an apple product. Kinda like how people buy Nike and Adidas shoes, there are cheaper mur effective/comfortable/functional shoes. Nike is what you but to say, 'yeah I can buy nike, suck it all you no brand poor people'
You sound a little bitter/hateful there. I don't think you're aware that Apple's user base is more than just hipsters in coffee shops. Anyone getting into the arts (video/photo editing, animation, music recording, etc..) are usually encouraged to get Macs because iOS typically has a lower overhead than Windows, leaving more cycles for rendering and agent processing, something that anyone in the field knows takes a god-awful long time to complete. Also, the differences between the $1k Macs and the $5k Macs are minimal, so most people just get the basic ones, which can be leagues better than out-of-the-box PCs you get at Best Buy. Instead of insulting an entire user base, why don't we just laugh at all the people spending $5k on a computer (regardless of brand) that we could build for $1-1.5k?

Thanks,
A fellow PC user.

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
Gah this reeks of first world problems :/ Seriously I am lucky if my download speed here in South Africa is 2mb a second and yet Microsoft thing games that a 40gb or whatever are not a problem to download in first world countries? Digital will only be truly digital when the majority of the world can actually have proper internet. Maybe in another 20 years or so but not now.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
Always online would have been a terrible idea had they kept the Drive, but if they had gone without it I would not have minded. if it was coupled with a dramatic price drop compared to the 360 in terms of software, I would go all digital for my console as I do for my Mac.

they missed out.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Wow, MS being retarded and artificially limiting their potential user-base again, what a surprise.

/Sarcasm