Xbox One DVR TV Feature Delayed Indefinitely

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Xbox One DVR TV Feature Delayed Indefinitely

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/490/490517.jpg
The DVR feature for Xbox One, previously announced for a 2016 release, has been put on hold indefinitely.

Back when the TV and sports [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/xbox%20one?os=xbox+one] (and Call of Duty) where a very central part of the presentation. However, the much-touted DVR feature for Xbox One still hasn't arrived, and it looks like it won't be coming any time soon either, as Microsoft has announced the feature has been delayed indefinitely.

"After careful consideration, we've decided to put development of DVR for Over-the-Air TV on hold to focus our attention on launching new, higher fan-requested gaming experiences across Xbox One and Windows 10," revealed a Microsoft spokesperson in a statement to The Verge [http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/8/11884622/microsoft-xbox-one-tv-dvr-feature-on-hold]. "We're always listening to fan feedback and we look forward to bringing more requested experiences on Xbox One, Windows 10 and Xbox Live this year."

The original vision for Xbox One DVR was to allow users schedule recordings on the go, and stream or download shows to mobile devices and other Windows 10 PC. It would have only worked with free-to-air TV though, and not cable TV or subscription services like Netflix.

It certainly looks like Microsoft is trying its hardest to distance itself from the very "home entertainment center" focus of its initial Xbox One review, which was received quite poorly.

Source: The Verge [http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/8/11884622/microsoft-xbox-one-tv-dvr-feature-on-hold]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
It certainly looks like Microsoft is trying its hardest to distance itself from the very "home entertainment center" focus of its initial Xbox One review, which was received quite poorly.
Microsoft are distancing themselves from almost everything they have said about the Xbone. I wish they would distance themselves as quickly from GFWL 2.0.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I'm not sure i've ever seen a console developer/publisher so out of touch with their own market before. It's kind of sad, yet they still keep on blindly trucking, fueled by limitless cash (like a negative Batman) and wearing the tan leathered skin of deceased once-highly-respected game developers like a morbid sock puppet show thinking it'll win them some trust. Self-awareness must be a myth to them.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
008Zulu said:
Steven Bogos said:
Microsoft are distancing themselves from almost everything they have said about the Xbone. I wish they would distance themselves as quickly from GFWL 2.0.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Everything Microsoft is doing is in service of their current or potential xbox customers. By creating a linked ecosystem between the xbone and pc they're hoping that people will buy an xbox since it and their pc will add value to one another. Meanwhile, PC players get reamed with the Win 10 marketplace. The recent announcement that Halo 5 Forge was coming to PC so you could make maps on your computer to be played on your xbox illustrates this more than anything else.

I've waited until now to "upgrade" to windows 10 and I still might not. I'd rather pay for it down the line when Win 7 support actually dries up then be stuck with an OS I don't want.

TLDR: Oh gee, people bought your console to play games? Whodathunkit? Please stay away from PC Miscrosoft.

Xsjadoblayde said:
I'm not sure i've ever seen a console developer/publisher so out of touch with their own market before. It's kind of sad, yet they still keep on blindly trucking, fueled by limitless cash (like a negative Batman) and wearing the tan leathered skin of deceased once-highly-respected game developers like a morbid sock puppet show thinking it'll win them some trust. Self-awareness must be a myth to them.
This is amazing.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Well, I guess I'll just have to sell the Xbox then, 'cause I was counting on using it as a DVR for the sheer unmitigated awfulness that is most TV...

Xsjadoblayde said:
Isn't Phil Spencer pretty much one of the best, most self-aware major execs in the industry?[footnote]I'm sure ardent cynics or ardent 'h8erz' of MS can find some daft things he's said, but I've always found him to be remarkably humble and connected to us muggles in a way barely any execs are. Sony also have one guy who always comes across superbly - a Scot, I think? The industry needs more like 'em.[/footnote]

The Mattrick Debacle was--- well, a debacle, hence the title... But this just looks like MS extracting themselves from the last remants of the infamously idiotic XB1 reveal. I'm not sure how any of this is a negative, or worthy of mockery. I'd say MS have made great strides, relatively, of late.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
I even forgot that was a 'feature', then again I didn't grab a XBone, but I thought this was obvious when they shot down their TV thing

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
On the one hand, I'm inclined to not give a crap because I don't own an Xbone. On the other hand, I get kind of miffed when advertised features don't happen on principle alone. I don't know if anyone bought the Xbone for this feature, but the principle is one that shouldn't be ignored.

Xsjadoblayde said:
I'm not sure i've ever seen a console developer/publisher so out of touch with their own market before.
I don't know. Telling us we don't want online play seems more out of touch than thinking we want multimedia functions, given it was a major selling point of two consoles last gen.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Darth Rosenberg said:
Isn't Phil Spencer pretty much one of the best, most self-aware major execs in the industry?
The Mattrick Debacle was--- well, a debacle, hence the title... But this just looks like MS extracting themselves from the last remants of the infamously idiotic XB1 reveal. I'm not sure how any of this is a negative, or worthy of mockery. I'd say MS have made great strides, relatively, of late.
I vaguely remember him before jumping ship, a few posts he made did appear a lot more...erm, human? But i do not envy his position one bit as diamond or jewel or shiny thing in the rough. He must have a lot of damage control ahead of him.

Something Amyss said:
I don't know. Telling us we don't want online play seems more out of touch than thinking we want multimedia functions, given it was a major selling point of two consoles last gen.
To be honest, i should've put the disclaimer that i'm a little late getting in on the whole game's journalism thing, do to different lives previously, so am just learning as i go. :)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Xsjadoblayde said:
To be honest, i should've put the disclaimer that i'm a little late getting in on the whole game's journalism thing, do to different lives previously, so am just learning as i go. :)
Well, few bears get into gaming at all, so I suppose that's to be expected. Wait, is that ursist? >.>

Anyway, I wasn't trying to one up you or anything. I think it's debatable as to who the most out of touch developer or publisher is, and I don't even think it's a close two or three way race. I was just offering another point where someone (Nintendo) said something that is up there. I'm not saying it's right or wrong (though I think it's a strong contender), just that it is...a thing that happened.

It's possible that you could have been following gaming news since Nintendo Power made the hobbyist market somewhat popular, and you still wouldn't agree.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Something Amyss said:
Well, few bears get into gaming at all, so I suppose that's to be expected. Wait, is that ursist? >.>

Anyway, I wasn't trying to one up you or anything. I think it's debatable as to who the most out of touch developer or publisher is, and I don't even think it's a close two or three way race. I was just offering another point where someone (Nintendo) said something that is up there. I'm not saying it's right or wrong (though I think it's a strong contender), just that it is...a thing that happened.

It's possible that you could have been following gaming news since Nintendo Power made the hobbyist market somewhat popular, and you still wouldn't agree.
No worries, I didn't sense any one-upping tones within...though the context is now making me muse of competitive posting as a new extreme sport, with highly trained athletes and doping scandals. It is hard to doubt that humanity will try that at some point in the future, the cheeky rascals. Being one of those dastardly self hating bears, telling apart the ...ursist? From the non-discriminatory observations can be a troublesome, slippery task. Bears are often too easily distracted to learn sufficient use of RPG systems, even now I still lose my train of thought to a particularly attractive passing daffodil. Still, it's harder to be objective or reasonably subjective with less information horded within the brain bowl. :)