Xbox One "Immersive Gaming" Video Ad May Be a Bit Disturbing

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Xbox One "Immersive Gaming" Video Ad May Be a Bit Disturbing

This new ad by Microsoft for the Xbox One and Ryse: Son of Rome shows a man getting injured as he plays.

Microsoft has released a new video ad titled "Immersive Gaming" for the Xbox One and Ryse: Son of Rome, where it touts the game as being a little too real. In it, the player experiences gashes and cuts while playing Cryteks' next-gen debut, which might not be suited to everyone's tastes.

Using the marketing slogan " If it were any more real, it would be real," Microsoft wants you to believe that playing an action game such as Ryse will be so real that we can feel what's happening to our in-game avatar.

Speaking of Ryse: Son of Rome, if you haven't played one of the Xbox One's exclusive launch games yet, make sure to read our review where it states the action-adventure game has an "amazingly enjoyable and ruthlessly violent combat." [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10769-Ryse-Son-of-Rome-Review-Vengeance-and-Glory]

In other Xbox news, while cloud technology has seen an exponential increase in recent years, Microsoft executive Phil Spencer doesn't think this will be a suitable replacement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131262-Microsofts-Phil-Spencer-Xbox-One-Wont-Be-The-Last-Console] for physical consoles anytime soon.

Do you think the video spot's in good taste or is Microsoft banking on shock value too much to catch attention?

Source: DualShockers [http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/01/13/the-xbox-one-so-immersive-it-makes-you-freak-out-in-real-life/]

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
So a game based on a battlefield where you don't have to think at all, you're hundreds of times more powerful than everyone else, and that lets you get past even when you fail the QTEs? Sounds super immersive to me.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
When video games do hit this level, I will be thrilled. Okay, like the holodeck, there better be an option to turn the safety on, but still this would be amazing. I would love to be able to play a game using my real body and my level of reflexes. That would be a blast. Not sure if I would enjoy the actual harm part.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
lmao this is the cheesiest ad.

The downside is I can already see the anti video game crowd using this as ammunition for how immerse violent games are bad.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
The message I get from this ad is that buying an Xbox One is a form of self mutilation.

A pretty bad advertisement overall. Still don't think it comes close to the "WTF" factor that was this though. So, at least that's something.

TwoSidesOneCoin

Dec 11, 2010
"If it were any more real, it would be real."

I literally took off in the roflcopter after getting to that part in the post

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
"Actually, the guy tried to kill himself because he realized he spent $560 for Ryse: Son of Rome."

Best youtube comment ever...

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Disturbing? To me, no. To overprotective parents probably, yes.

The thing that's really stupid is the sheer audacity to call their launch title as close to real as gaming gets.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
TwoSidesOneCoin said:
"If it were any more real, it would be real."

I literally took off in the roflcopter after getting to that part in the post
Same. :) That seems to be their marketing slogan now for Xbox One, so get used to it.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Nouw said:
So... Xbox One is Videodrome?
DEATH TO VIDEODROME, LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH!

OT: This is one stupid-ass ad. The fuck's going on at Microsoft these days?!

fat american

Apr 2, 2008
Oh yeah, because anti gaming lobbyist needed more ammuntion. Not to mention the commercial is just plain bad. I could see how it might appeal the the dudebro demographic that microsoft seems to aim for though. Still, I've definitely seen worse console commercials.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
...ESCAPIST RESUME.

*posting commences*

Yeah, I just took a bathroom break and mistook the sink for a keyboard and the mirror for a computer screen. This site is some serious shit.

...or maybe that was just an acid trip.

OT: That's pretty scandalous hyperbole.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
I was really hoping this was about to go back to the old days of 1990s video game advertising. Like his arms just fall off and then he falls over they play a bunch of game footage and then the last 4 seconds is him on the floor in pieces making weird funny noises and then he screams SEGA! and then black screen.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
We're not saying that the XBox One will engineer a psychotic break some time after you stop playing, but then again... we're not sayin' it won't.

...Is the "suffer and bleed" experience really what anyone is looking for from their video game console? Wouldn't it be over five hundred dollars cheaper just to stick a fork into a wall outlet?

[sub]I'm kidding, please don't stick a fork into a wall outlet and sue me. Sticking flatware into sockets is a very, very bad idea, and not a way to get any sort of kicks. Also it will do bad things to both your fork and your electric bill.[/sub]

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Anyone else annoyed by how much water the guy was wasting?

Couldn't he at least have turned the tap off whilst having his psychotic breakdown?

Mar 19, 2010
Speaking of Ryse: Son of Rome, if you haven't played one of the Xbox One's exclusive launch games yet, make sure to read our review where it states the action-adventure game has an "amazingly enjoyable and ruthlessly violent combat."
I am sorry but is that the same Ryse that Yahtzee reviewed cause it sure as hell does not seem so. Ahh but whatever just a stupid add to a stupid game thank god i do not watch TV.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/8525-Ryse-Son-of-Rome