Xbox One "Immersive Gaming" Video Ad May Be a Bit Disturbing

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Can we please move past the "It's so real that it's real" marketing? We've been doing it since before 3D graphics and it's only getting cheesier.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Undomesticated Equine said:
Speaking of Ryse: Son of Rome, if you haven't played one of the Xbox One's exclusive launch games yet, make sure to read our review where it states the action-adventure game has an "amazingly enjoyable and ruthlessly violent combat."
I am sorry but is that the same Ryse that Yahtzee reviewed cause it sure as hell does not seem so. Ahh but whatever just a stupid add to a stupid game thank god i do not watch TV.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/8525-Ryse-Son-of-Rome
The Escapist had some 'sponsored' articles about Ryse, so naturally the game was 'good'.

Anyone else find it curious that he was playing with a controller and not the super amazing totally awesome Kinect 2.0? Maybe the game is so immersive you don't even need to aimlessly flail around like a seizure victim to play it!

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
"If it were any more real, it'd be real."

Just fuck off, please. Holy shit what an absurdly self-indulgent slogan. Video games are nowhere close to reality and won't be for a very very long time, if ever. I thought false advertisement was illegal.

In a worst-case scenario I can see concerned mothers spinning this slogan negatively by interpreting it as "your child won't differentiate fantasy from reality."

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
It's like Sony and Microsoft have switched personalities this generation.

With MS selling the more expensive system, though slightly less powerful while the PS3 was more powerful but an arse to code for. With a peripheral nobody wants, Sony's was Sixaxis - you forgot it existed didn't you? And with the crappier ads, hey at least the PS3 ones were pretending to be arty - and thus you could laugh at the pseudo-intellectual bumpf.

The scary thing is: In the end it was Sony who sold the most stuff... ..I dread to think what MS would have to do for the Xbone to pull the same trick.

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
So, like. Why'd he need to say "Xbox, resume" if he had the controller in his hand? Wouldn't it have been faster just to press the B button than to speak a full sentence?

Edit: Well . . . maybe not a full sentence. I dunno. Still seems odd to me.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
Ugh, now that my eyes have stopped rolling. The guy is having a psychotic break and this is how they want to make a console move? [[Seriously though, what is it with Microsoft and emotionally unstable people in their ads. The sports ad had a guy that started out having a rather nice party with lovely guests and his tv outside for some reason; but he transformed into screaming, fist-shaking lunatic - isolated from his guests in his intensity, and yet simultaneously the center of attention by the end of the spot. And in this one, a different jerk is suffering some kind trauma? Withdrawal symptoms accompanying self-destructive behavior? Like, he's got real problems.]] I'm not endeared to the product by watching people we should all clearly stay the hell away from use it.

Also, the triple A industry is evidently forever in love with realism. And it will seemingly suffer forever over confusion of realism's effectiveness.

Realism, photorealism, any kind of realism does not equal immersion. It never will. There is a significant part of the industry that will, I suppose, never understand that these are to completely different concepts.

The more realistic the appearance, the more realistic the expectation. And in a game, the experience can only go so far to match the appearance.

Also, talking to my electronics, and skype and tv and movies and all the other extra not-a-game stuff attached to the gaming "experience" is instant death for both realism and immersion as far I'm concerned.

But I get it, it's an ad campaign. They know the market they are targeting. It's not the worst console ad, nor is it the best, and it is certainly not meant to be intelligent.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
You already have to pay an arm and a leg to buy an Xbone and a copy of Ryse, now you're telling me I've got to carve myself like a suicidal pumpkin as well? no thank you.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Most of this advert would make a perfectly good psychological movie trailer. A man clearly going insane interlaced with brief flashes of Romans. All it really needs is to show his "enemy" which would turn out to be his boss.

Say what you like about the old PS3 ads, at least they were weird for the sake of being weird. This appears to be trying to be serious, and failing miserably.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
So it's so real you'll hallucinate being injured? That's not a good idea, and I've played that terrible game on a friends console it sucks, it's repetitive as hell and it just isn't fun even a little bit.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Yeah, creepy. Not as creepy as Sony's more legendary commercials but creepy all the same. Looks like the two consoles switched place this time. But without Sony giving Microsoft the non-US market.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Breaking News!!!

Our game console has realistic graphics!!!

This ad campaign is 100% new and fresh and has never been done before!!!!

oh wait...

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Realistic in 3rd person at 30fps with a controller and quick-time events.

That olympic game with the pad you lay on the floor for the NES was more realistic, and way more fun. You actually got tired from doing the actions on screen, that says a lot for a game in the 80s.

Is this what advertisements for games are going to be? Not the game's fun and worthy of enjoyment. It looks so nice, it'll make you bleed. Fuck you.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
commasplice said:
So, like. Why'd he need to say "Xbox, resume" if he had the controller in his hand? Wouldn't it have been faster just to press the B button than to speak a full sentence?
He's doing it to justify the extra $100 he spent getting an Xbone over a PS4.

Seriously though, that advert was bad, and where the hack are they even going to show it? Here in the UK they won't show an advert featuring injuries before 9pm anyway, and most would pull this as soon as the first complaint came in. No parent is going to buy an xbox for their kid after that, and I can't see any gamer being pulled in by it either, just who is their target demographic here?

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Do you think the video spot's in good taste or is Microsoft banking on shock value too much to catch attention?
Neither, really. It just seems really, really silly to me. To whom, exactly, is the ad supposed to appeal? I can't imagine anyone watching it and thinking to themselves, "I was on the fence about whether to get an Xbox One, but - man - I gotta get me some of this"!