Xbox One Launch Games' Install Sizes Revealed

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011

The sizes vary greatly from 246 MB to 43 GB.

Xbox One comes with 500 GB available on the hard drive, but that space will fill up fast for anyone who plans on playing a lot of games. Every Xbox One videogame has a mandatory install regardless of whether it is a physical or digital copy. Thanks to one Target consumer receiving his Xbox One early, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129487-Xbox-One-Ships-Early-Microsoft-Bans-It] Twitter user Moonlightswami revealed Call of Duty: Ghosts is 39 GB to install. More users posted to NeoGAF the install sizes for other Xbox One games and noted discs install automatically when inserted and some games are playable during installation. Call of Duty: Ghosts was available to play after installation reached 51%.

NeoGAF users compiled a list of installation sizes:

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - 20 GB
Battlefield 4 - 33 GB
Call of Duty: Ghosts - 39 GB
Dead Rising 3 - 19 GB
FIFA 14 - 8 GB
Fighter Within - 9.2 GB
Forza Motorsport 5 - 31 GB
Just Dance 2014 - 22 GB
Killer Instinct - 3.4 GB
LocoCycle - 13 GB
Madden NFL 25 - 12 GB
NBA 2K14 - 43 GB
NBA Live 14 - 9 GB
Powerstar Golf - 3.9 GB
Ryse: Son of Rome - 34 GB
Skylanders: Swap Force - 15 GB
Xbox Fitness - 246 MB
Zoo Tycoon - 2.6 GB
Zumba World Party - 24 GB

That adds up to a total of about 341 GB. Xbox One does not support external storage at launch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127398-Xbox-One-Wont-Support-External-Storage-At-Launch], but Microsoft will support external storage connected via the USB 3.0 port in the future. The PS4 also has mandatory installations.

Source: X-One Magazine [https://twitter.com/Moonlightswami]

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I don't mind mandatory installs, but if games are consistently gonna be this big, we damn well need bigger hard drives than 500GB. Just watch, next year we'll see model refreshes with 1TB.

P.S. Thanks

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
SILENTrampancy said:
Sooo... Does anybody else see how consoles are becoming more and more like PCs?

Just, you know, without any of the bonuses.
My thoughts exactly. Why don't they just go back to the carts? No more installs, no more hard drives. Win, win!

Link XL1

Apr 6, 2010
how is NBA 43 gigs??!?! its a fucking sports game. how are any of these installs SO BIG???

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
See it wouldn't be as bad, if the Xbox One had a changeable HDD like how the PS4 does. I mean I remember reading that they won't be supporting external USB HDDs at launch, which makes no sense since there are game installs required to play the games. I mean hell I can see this backfiring badly, as even Nintendo made sure to support external HDDs at launch.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
SpcyhknBC said:
My thoughts exactly. Why don't they just go back to the carts? No more installs, no more hard drives. Win, win!
Carts can't hold nearly as much as how the Bluray discs of today can. Plus, the whole loading time issue that was non-existent with carts is becoming obsolete since the newer games have loading times now since the sizes of the games on carts has increased.

Currently, a dual-layered Bluray disc that PS3 games use and what the PS4 and Xbox One will use can hold up to a maximum 50 GB, and the Wii U's Optical Disc can hold up to 25 GB and is single layered (there aren't any dual layered ones yet and it is a modified Bluray disc by Panasonic). Not to mention that the 300 GB Bluray disc is possibly going to be hitting a more commercial release in the next couple of years since I remember reading that it was finally coming out of prototype development, and they've found ways to produce them cheaper.

If we were to go based on say the 3DS cartridges they can only hold a maximum of 1.8 GBs total, with the old DS cards holding up to a maximum of 512 MB.
R4 cards can hold much more, but also keep in mind that they are illegal to sell in most countries, and can't hold anywhere near the size of discs.

Finally, discs are cheaper to print and write to when compared to cards so companies get more bang for their buck when it comes to using discs instead of cards.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
If memory serves me correctly, I believe the bulk of data that was taken up on Blu-ray discs was not so much for 1080p video, but rather high-fidelity, uncompressed sound. I wonder if that's the reason for these huge install sizes.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
I suspect the huge installs have something to do with the games originally expecting the disc to not be present during game play.

That is to say, this is a legacy of Microsoft's attempt at DRM - these games with massive installs were designed to run off the hard drive.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Well you dont need to keep every game you buy installed on your hard drive. Just install games your playing and those your intend to play later, everything else delete off it to save space. Thats just common sense. This is what i call a classic 1st world problem as its a non issue.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
That's Blu-Ray for ya. While some of the install sizes seem much larger than I'd expect them to be, I'm not terribly surprised. I'm very conservative with my hard drive storage space. Hell, I still have 200 out of the 250gigs free on my 360 because I'm stingy.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Neronium said:
SpcyhknBC said:
Carts can't hold nearly as much as how the Bluray discs of today can. Plus, the whole loading time issue that was non-existent with carts is becoming obsolete since the newer games have loading times now since the sizes of the games on carts has increased.

Currently, a dual-layered Bluray disc that PS3 games use and what the PS4 and Xbox One will use can hold up to a maximum 50 GB, and the Wii U's Optical Disc can hold up to 25 GB and is single layered (there aren't any dual layered ones yet and it is a modified Bluray disc by Panasonic). Not to mention that the 300 GB Bluray disc is possibly going to be hitting a more commercial release in the next couple of years since I remember reading that it was finally coming out of prototype development, and they've found ways to produce them cheaper.

If we were to go based on say the 3DS cartridges they can only hold a maximum of 1.8 GBs total, with the old DS cards holding up to a maximum of 512 MB.
R4 cards can hold much more, but also keep in mind that they are illegal to sell in most countries, and can't hold anywhere near the size of discs.

Finally, discs are cheaper to print and write to when compared to cards so companies get more bang for their buck when it comes to using discs instead of cards.
It really has nothing to do with how much a cartridge can hold because the technology is there. It the cost per storage. A blu-ray roughly around 4 cents per gigabyte vs a cartridge about 10x that at 35-40 cents per gigabyte.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Yeah my plan to get a 2tb drive was a good one. what's that Microsoft, your system only supports your brand of HDD and there's none that size? Lucky I'm getting the PS4, a much better system.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
On a 500Gb non-swappable HDD. What a disaster.

captcha: run away!

Good advice!

At least you can upgrade the PS4 HDD. Hell, you can even put in an SSD if you're feeling adventurous.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
RicoADF said:
Yeah my plan to get a 2tb drive was a good one. what's that Microsoft, your system only supports your brand of HDD and there's none that size? Lucky I'm getting the PS4, a much better system.
Adam Jensen said:
On a 500Gb non-swappable HDD. What a disaster.

captcha: run away!

Good advice!

At least you can upgrade the PS4 HDD. Hell, you can even put in an SSD if you're feeling adventurous.
The article just said that all the games together add up to about 341 GB. So even if you got ALL OF THE GAMES and installed them, you'd still have 159 GB's left.

And they're going to add support for external HDD's later anyway. Not to mention any future XOne console revisions.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
RicoADF said:
How much was that? I'm toying with the idea, but don't have a lot of free money to spend right now. Wondering how easy replacing it will be, though.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Saltyk said:
RicoADF said:
How much was that? I'm toying with the idea, but don't have a lot of free money to spend right now. Wondering how easy replacing it will be, though.
I haven't got one yet as PS4 hasn't been released yet, just looked and I can't find any 2TB 2.5" HDD. A 1TB WD will set you back approx $100AUD. I'll need to keep looking.
PS3 was easy to replace and I hear PS4 is no different.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
roseofbattle said:

The sizes vary greatly from 246 MB to 43 GB.

Xbox One coes with 500 GB available on the hard drive, but that space will fill up fast for anyone who plans on playing a lot of games. Every Xbox One videogame has a mandatory install regardless of whether it is a physical or digital copy. Thanks to one Target consumer receiving his Xbox One early, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129487-Xbox-One-Ships-Early-Microsoft-Bans-It] Twitter user Moonlightswami revealed Call of Duty: Ghosts is 39 GB to install. More users posted to NeoGAF the install sizes for other Xbox One games and noted discs install automatically when inserted and some games are playable during installation. Call of Duty: Ghosts was available to play after installation reached 51%.

NeoGAF users compiled a list of installation sizes:

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - 20 GB
Battlefield 4 - 33 GB
Call of Duty: Ghosts - 39 GB
Dead Rising 3 - 19 GB
FIFA 14 - 8 GB
Fighter Within - 9.2 GB
Forza Motorsport 5 - 31 GB
Just Dance 2014 - 22 GB
Killer Instinct - 3.4 GB
LocoCycle - 13 GB
Madden NFL 25 - 12 GB
NBA 2K14 - 43 GB
NBA Live 14 - 9 GB
Powerstar Golf - 3.9 GB
Ryse: Son of Rome - 34 GB
Skylanders: Swap Force - 15 GB
Xbox Fitness - 246 MB
Zoo Tycoon - 2.6 GB
Zumba World Party - 24 GB

That adds up to a total of about 341 GB. Xbox One does not support external storage at launch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127398-Xbox-One-Wont-Support-External-Storage-At-Launch], but Microsoft will support external storage connected via the USB 3.0 port in the future. The PS4 also has mandatory installations.

Source: X-One Magazine [https://twitter.com/Moonlightswami]

One thing really sticks out there.

Assassin's creed 4 - 20 GB
Just Dance 2014 - 22 GB

Why does just dance 2014 take up 2 more gigs of space than assassin's creed 4? Are they adding new clothing physics or super detailed braids? What?

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Arnoxthe1 said:
The article just said that all the games together add up to about 341 GB. So even if you got ALL OF THE GAMES and installed them, you'd still have 159 GB's left.

And they're going to add support for external HDD's later anyway. Not to mention any future XOne console revisions.
I know it says 500GB, but most HDD take a portion of that space for themselves. So maybe 475-485ish? Xbox One's storage isn't removable, but I thought they allow external storage. OR am I thinking something else?