Xbox One Launching November 8th According to Leak

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Xbox One Launching November 8th According to Leak

A leaked email points to Microsoft releasing the Xbox One a week before the PS4.

A big part of Sony's PlayStaton 4 messaging has basically been to trump the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124815-PS4-Will-Not-Block-Used-Games-or-Require-an-Online-Connection>Xbox One. Microsoft, in turn, has arguably been playing a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125204-Microsoft-Drops-Xbox-One-DRM-Restrictions-UPDATED>game of catch-up that's left the console arguably on the defensive. Now, however, evidence suggests that Microsoft may be trying to take back the initiative by getting the Xbox One to gamer's first.

An anonymous source from a marketing company has apparently leaked an email listing upcoming midnight Wal-Mart events. Among the listed items receiving a special opening is the Xbox One, which will apparently release on November 8th. This would put it on store shelves a full week ahead of the PlayStation 4, which Sony revealed to be launching on <a rhef=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127035-PlayStation-4-Debuts-November-15>November 15th at Gamescom.

Whether or not having to wait seven days less will be enough to tilt more consumers toward the Xbox One however, is something we'll have to wait and see. Sony arguably earned a lot of goodwill with the gamer friendly stance it took in marketing the PS4. Likewise, the PS4 being $100 cheaper than the $499 Xbox One could be enough for some gamers to hold off a week.

All of this said, it's important to remember that this is all still unofficial. Even so, with the days ticking away and the Xbox One already confirmed to be launching <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124770-Xbox-One-Debuts-This-November-UPDATE>sometime in November, there aren't really too many options for Microsoft to choose from. It can either go before the PS4 or after, and our gut says launching first is probably the better of the two.

Source: Kotaku AU

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
About what I was expecting. They want to be out as close as possible to CoD: Ghosts I imagine.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
An anonymous source from a marketing company has apparently leaked an email
Agendas? No such thing!

What kind of bugs me, why a marketing company? Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
I was going to say the XBOne release would at least give stores a trial run to prepare for the PS4 madness camp-outs that will happen the following week.

Then I remembered that only fanboys, core gamers and muggers camp out, and that Microsoft lost most of the core gamers.

So they won't get much practice, though I am expecting lots of shot and stabbed Microsoft fanboys that week.

And then the police might actually be ready for PS4 release and save a few people during the PS4 release.

It's also worth noting that in that picture that it is the only event without a confirmation note next to it, so even in that picture the date is not yet fixed.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
StewShearer said:
Whether or not having to wait seven days less will be enough to tilt more consumers toward the Xbox One however, is something we'll have to wait and see.
When it comes down to a major purchase like this, how many people are honestly going to look at the release date as the most important factor they could possibly be concerned about? To the opposite, I think that the two being so close would make it a non-issue.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I do have to wonder if they are even ready for this. They basically had to strip down the Xbox one and restructure it in less then 5 months. It may seem like simple things like a reverse code here, and re arranging of things there, but they changed so many things in such a short amount of time, something might go wrong. They had been building up towards a singular model for years I bet, only to have most of their plans to be scrapped and changed. Sure, they might get an extra week on PS4. Maybe it's going to persuade some people to buy it just so they can have it sooner, but it'll still be 100 dollars more.

This reminds me of the story where Sega tried to Release Sega Saturn earlier, at 399 dollars, when Sony took it's time, and announced 299 for the PS1. The Xbox has a dedicated fan base now, but it would be hilarious if history repeated itself.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Happy Birthday to me, vacation to watch Blizzcon feeds and a Xbox One. Please let this rumor be true.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
StewShearer said:
Microsoft, in turn, has arguably been playing a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125204-Microsoft-Drops-Xbox-One-DRM-Restrictions-UPDATED>game of catch-up that's left the console arguably on the defensive. Now, however, evidence suggests that Microsoft may be trying to take back the initiative by getting the Xbox One to gamer's first.
Slight grammatical error there; the repeating word sounds rather unnatural when reading ;) (I'm not a brilliant grammar nazi so I don't know the technical term for that error :p)

OT: I don't think the release date will make much of a difference. It's not like last gen where the Xbox 360 had substantially longer span of time on the market compared to the PS3... The real deciding factors of the initial sales for each console will be a) price, b) games and c) marketing/PR reputation... Of which Sony has a substantial advantage in two of those categories.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
Step 1: Assure console sales by promising a tandem launch with a Call of Duty game.
Step 2: Rush the release of the console before the bugs are worked out and repeat the RROD 100% failure of the 360.

Why can't we get consoles when they're ready? I refuse to buy this machine if all they're interested in doing is 1-upping each other again.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Perfect! Regardless of who comes out first could you imagine the disaster if the launched on the same day and you had rabid Xbox and PlayStation fans mingling in the same midnight launch day line ups?

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Um, isn't this the same Microsoft that recently announced that there was going to be a delay in the release of the Xbox one?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
BrownGaijin said:
Um, isn't this the same Microsoft that recently announced that there was going to be a delay in the release of the Xbox one?
only if your in those 8 countries that obviuosly noone lives in because why dont you live in a "USA big city" right?

IF seriuosly, the delay was announce for countries where localization is lagging, not everything.
RandV80 said:
Perfect! Regardless of who comes out first could you imagine the disaster if the launched on the same day and you had rabid Xbox and PlayStation fans mingling in the same midnight launch day line ups?
Yes, having both groups in same store after the tail waggling done lately wont be a good idea.

Ruley

Sep 3, 2010
launching 1 week ahead of Sony? Really, does this make up for being on the back foot all through the reveal of the consoles? People can wait a week to save $100 for something that they will own for literally years to come. possibly even a decade if this past console generation is anything to go by!

And if anyone is so flaky about such a high ticket purchase that they would change their minds at the last minute and buy the one that came out slightly sooner, why do they even have the money for such a purchase?

I don't understand why this is a positive for microsoft, if anyone sees it like that? Its still the same terrible console.

But heck, if it launches early, maybe those few sales will make space for more PS4 stock in stores. This might end up helping Sony once more!!

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Strazdas said:
BrownGaijin said:
only if your in those 8 countries that obviuosly noone lives in because why dont you live in a "USA big city" right?

IF seriuosly, the delay was announce for countries where localization is lagging, not everything.
Yes, having both groups in same store after the tail waggling done lately wont be a good idea.
Eight countries? I thought they widdled it down to 2.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
BrownGaijin said:
Strazdas said:
BrownGaijin said:

Eight countries? I thought they widdled it down to 2.
original list was 21 and now its 13
Xbox site listing 21 country [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/pre-order-xbox-one/disclaimer]
Xbox site stating that they are delaying launch in certain countries till 2014. They list 8 countries [http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/xbox-one-confirmed-markets]
News article stating they cut it down to 13 countries [http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/technology/microsoft-cuts-xbox-one-launch-to-13-countries-1.1495118]