Xbox One Owners Are Using Violence to Fix Their Broken Consoles

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Xbox One Owners Are Using Violence to Fix Their Broken Consoles

Smacking your Xbox One could be the key to fixing the console's Blu-ray drive, but we don't recommend it.

A handful of Xbox One owners have been experiencing a problem [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129910-Faulty-Xbox-One-Disc-Drives-Reported-by-Some-Buyers] with the console's Blu-ray drive. When a disk is inserted into the drive, an ugly grinding noise emanates from the system and tears automatically start streaming down the owner's face. Luckily, only a small number of Xboxes have been affected, and Microsoft is replacing the consoles as quickly as possible. However, several users have discovered a fix. Though, like most types of violence, I probably wouldn't recommend it.

On Monday, one YouTube user published a short video in which he hit his broken console several times before powering it up. The unit appeared to be working correctly after applying the "fix," but this technique probably isn't completely reliable. Just because something is working doesn't mean that it's fixed.

The problem is reportedly due to a misaligned gear inside of the drive assembly. However, until Microsoft issues some kind of official statement regarding the cause, all of this is mostly guesswork.

Affected Xbox owners should contact the manufacturer before engaging in fisticuffs with their console. Plus, Microsoft has been compensating players [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129981-Microsoft-Gives-Free-Games-to-Owners-of-Faulty-Xbox-Ones] by supplying a complimentary digital copy of Dead Rising 3, Forza Motorsport 5, Ryse: Son of Rome, or Zoo Tycoon. And, since you don't need a disk drive to play digital titles, you'll have something to do until your new console shows up.

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/11/26/user-gets-physical-with-broken-xbox-one-and-it-starts-working.aspx]

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Ahhh yes, technology and hitting it when its broken. Its a classic yet oddly effective method.

Even if it doesnt fix the problem at hand, it makes you feel good for a few seconds afterwards

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
I find hitting hardware works but only if the problem is a disc problem or a fan problem.

Both my computer and my 360 (though the 360 on is an external add-on I added) have fans that fall out of place and make horrible grinding noises. A few hits around the fans to both will make them fall back into place easy enough.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
ritchards said:
Percussive maintenance for the win!
As yes, the "Litany of Percussive Maintenance" always works. Just slap the side of the machine while going "Work you piece of shit! You have any idea how much money I spent on you?! Work!" and the machine spirits will get their act together and work for you once more.

OT: It always strikes me as odd that no matter what year we live in, ***** slapping your broken piece of equipment usually seems to fix it.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Angelous Wang said:
I find hitting hardware works but only if the problem is a disc problem or a fan problem.

Both my computer and my 360 (though the 360 on is an external add-on I added) have fans that fall out of place and make horrible grinding noises. A few hits around the fans to both will make them fall back into place easy enough.
Yeah microsoft fanboys tend to be a bit ravenous, a good clip round the ears wil-

Oh you meant the technology? Oh okay.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
This is news now? Welcome to the last several decades, where smacking electronics has always been an ill-advised yet occasionally successful solution to problems.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Both mine and my brothers Xbox 360's had faulty disc drives and a similar technique was used to make ours work, you'd think Microsoft would know to get a good quality drive by now.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Ah, the good ol' smacking, the best fix mankind has ever concieved for just about anything :D

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Can't believe that actually worked.

Wonder if this might work for the PS4 issue as well.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
I hate disk loaders like that because they can have issues. I wish my PS4 didn't have one. I'll take a top loader any day. less moving parts lesser chance of malfunction.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
True story: I (lightly) punted a broken laptop and it started working for half an hour.

And if that doesn't work, try inserting chocolate coins into the disk drive.