Xbox One Sales Double in US Now Kinect Isn't Mandatory

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Xbox One Sales Double in US Now Kinect Isn't Mandatory

Microsoft really wants a lot of new Xbox fans this summer.

"Over the past month, we've seen a strong spike in interest in our Xbox One console options, including the new $399 offering, and the amazing lineup of games announced during E3," says Microsoft. The Xbox maker would prefer to think this is thanks to the amazing new games coming this summer, but according to its own figures the spike starts from June 9th. What happened then? It stopped making the Kinect a mandatory part of the package [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-news-now/9199-Xbox-One-Drops-Kinect-and-Price], that's what happened then.

The Xbox One's price dropped to $399.99 without the Kinect, which also helped move units since one of the real problems since launch had been the unfavorable price point comparison with the PS4. Microsoft's figures only represent US trends, but it's likely a similar sales spike is taking place in its other markets.

CEO Satya Nadella recently reaffirmed that Xbox has a place in Microsoft's universe [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136066-Satya-Nadella-to-the-World-Cloud-is-Microsofts-Core]; it's not part of the company's core business, but hardware is a useful testing ground for its software ideas. Microsoft has said again and again that the Kinect is a core part of the Xbox experience, so you shouldn't expect this sales number revelation to change things at Microsoft. The Kinect is still part of Microsoft's world vision, even if it isn't part of yours.

Microsoft also reports steady growth in Xbox 360 sales, which oughtn't to come as a huge surprise. The console was expected to hang around after the Xbox One's launch, and what with it having a huge back catalog of titles, being significantly cheaper than the new console, and - until recently - being the only Xbox console not to ship with Kinect as standard, the 360 must seem attractive to a lot of gamers even now.

Source: Xbox Wire [http://news.xbox.com/2014/07/xbox-one-xbox-one-sales-more-than-double-in-june]

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Before anyone else even tries to say it, NO, you cannot expect Microsoft to make a public announcement about this and tie it to the Kinect-less SKU. Business wise, that would be stupid, so people shouldnt expect them to say that, and start spouting off that they are lying or some garbage like that. This is pretty much a PR, business type of statement that acknowledges that fact, without acknowledging that fact, savvy?

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Oh, and the games probably ARE helping, at the very least... I have preordered more games this fall than I ever have before. Ever. Only one game is for the 360, and that one is Sacred 3, on Aug. 5th. The other 8 games are for the One, and I am happy to see it finally getting some games!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Riff Moonraker said:
Oh, and the games probably ARE helping, at the very least
I think it's safe to assume that the biggest factor is the hundred dollar price drop. Most buyer don't care about Kinect being there or not, but a game and a year's Xbox Live fitting in just over $500 instead of $600 makes a big difference.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Oh, and the games probably ARE helping, at the very least
I think it's safe to assume that the biggest factor is the hundred dollar price drop. Most buyer don't care about Kinect being there or not, but a game and a year's Xbox Live fitting in just over $500 instead of $600 makes a big difference.
Oh, I completely agree... that goes part and parcel with the Kinect not being there... But you and I both know that alot of people will specifically target and mention the Kinect when they comment on this. But to Joe Public, its without question the price change that they will see, and react to...

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
If that is true.
NOOOOOO!!!!!! Do not drink the koolaid! Damn it...

If that is not true because well they already lied MANY times during the life of the Xbone.
People still know you are full of shit Micro$oft. As the (less than) proud owner of two of your prior consoles you still pushed me off the wagon too hard from the start with this brick waiting to happen.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Slash2x said:
If that is true.

If that is not true because well they already lied MANY times during the life of the Xbone.
People still know you are full of shit Micro$oft. As the (less than) proud owner of two of your prior consoles you still pushed me off the wagon too hard from the start with this brick waiting to happen.
$ony are equally full of shit as Microsoft, and any suggestion that they aren't is pure fanboyism.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Riff Moonraker said:
Oh, and the games probably ARE helping, at the very least...
I'd hope so. Otherwise, it would mean people were willing to pay the same price for a console that cost less and had less power under the hood.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Oh, and the games probably ARE helping, at the very least...
I'd hope so. Otherwise, it would mean people were willing to pay the same price for a console that cost less and had less power under the hood.
Yeah, but ultimately, the people who really give that much of a crap about that are small in number. Would I like my One to be perceived to be just as "powerful" as the PS4? Sure, of course, but either way it will not sway me to buy a PS4. Ever. I switched over from the PC with the original Xbox, and that is where I will stay. All my gaming revolves around the Xbox world, and has done so for many, many years. So long as they continue to make them, that will continue to be true. I am sure there are a great deal of people out there that feel exactly like that, as well, and were probably just waiting for a price drop, and have no intention of dropping the xbox and switching over.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
smithy_2045 said:
Slash2x said:
If that is true.

$ony are equally full of shit as Microsoft, and any suggestion that they aren't is pure fanboyism.
*looks at post* Who said Sony? I know Phony is full of crap too with their middle of the controller mandatory electric clit.
<-------- Steam user

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Slash2x said:
If that is true.

Exactly what I was talking about in my first post...

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
"Captain, sensors indicate the phrase "No shit, Sherlocke," has just been used an impressive amount of times in a span of a few minutes."
Riff Moonraker said:
Before anyone else even tries to say it, NO, you cannot expect Microsoft to make a public announcement about this and tie it to the Kinect-less SKU. Business wise, that would be stupid, so people shouldnt expect them to say that, and start spouting off that they are lying or some garbage like that. This is pretty much a PR, business type of statement that acknowledges that fact, without acknowledging that fact, savvy?
They probably won't send out a PR statement about xbone's sales boost because of the spycan free SKU or at all. Indeed it would be dumb to tell investors and customers they did something stupid the cost those groups money. But, I can see a MS rep being asked about sales/or the cheaper SKU at the next trade show and them responding with the usual PR bolvine fecalmatter that spins the truth around to make it look like MS has our back. "We here at Microsoft care about our fans. We listened to concerns about the Kinect and decided give you an $399 Xbox One that you can add a Kinect for Xbone One onto later."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Riff Moonraker said:
Yeah, but ultimately, the people who really give that much of a crap about that are small in number. Would I like my One to be perceived to be just as "powerful" as the PS4? Sure, of course, but either way it will not sway me to buy a PS4. Ever. I switched over from the PC with the original Xbox, and that is where I will stay. All my gaming revolves around the Xbox world, and has done so for many, many years. So long as they continue to make them, that will continue to be true. I am sure there are a great deal of people out there that feel exactly like that, as well, and were probably just waiting for a price drop, and have no intention of dropping the xbox and switching over.
I'm not sure your blind brand loyalty equates to people not caring. And I imagine they do care, even if not for the technicals, since Microsoft's platform struggles to keep up with even the rather meager HD promise of its competitor. I mean, if you want to pay more for the hardware and get inferior ports, then go for it, I don't care. It's your money. But don't put on pretenses this whole thing revolves around brand loyalty for others.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Someone on Neogaf already posted the context for this "growth".

April 2014 total (4 weeks): 115K for a weekly average of 28.75K
May 2014 total (4 weeks): 77K for a weekly average of 19.25K
June 2014 total (5 weeks): ~155K for a weekly average of 31K

"Double" what was one of the worst months ever for Microsoft is some wonderful PR spin, but the Kinect-less Xbox One really only spiked back up to the level it was at two months earlier. The real test will be to see if it can keep the momentum or whether it plummets again.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Hairless Mammoth said:
"Captain, sensors indicate the phrase "No shit, Sherlocke," has just been used an impressive amount of times in a span of a few minutes."
Riff Moonraker said:
They probably won't send out a PR statement about xbone's sales boost because of the spycan free SKU or at all. Indeed it would be dumb to tell investors and customers they did something stupid the cost those groups money. But, I can see a MS rep being asked about sales/or the cheaper SKU at the next trade show and them responding with the usual PR bolvine fecalmatter that spins the truth around to make it look like MS has our back. "We here at Microsoft care about our fans. We listened to concerns about the Kinect and decided give you an $399 Xbox One that you can add a Kinect for Xbone One onto later."
Exactly... its just bad business. If Sony were in this position, they would do the same thing, as would Nintendo, or anyone else.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Trishbot said:
Someone on Neogaf already posted the context for this "growth".

April 2014 total (4 weeks): 115K for a weekly average of 28.75K
May 2014 total (4 weeks): 77K for a weekly average of 19.25K
June 2014 total (5 weeks): ~155K for a weekly average of 31K

"Double" what was one of the worst months ever for Microsoft is some wonderful PR spin, but the Kinect-less Xbox One really only spiked back up to the level it was at two months earlier. The real test will be to see if it can keep the momentum or whether it plummets again.
Ah, thats some wonderful context you found there.

Well done.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Riff Moonraker said:
I'm not sure your blind brand loyalty equates to people not caring. And I imagine they do care, even if not for the technicals, since Microsoft's platform struggles to keep up with even the rather meager HD promise of its competitor. I mean, if you want to pay more for the hardware and get inferior ports, then go for it, I don't care. It's your money. But don't put on pretenses this whole thing revolves around brand loyalty for others.
But in alot of cases, it does. Sony fanboys did it last gen, when they were the ones getting the inferior ports, as well. Its no different here. Last gen they would all say that it wasnt that much of a difference, or you couldnt even tell, and in most cases they were right. Same with this gen, when I see comparisons, I dont see a difference. Also note that I simply carried on a discussion with you, and at no point did I ever infer you were a foolish person, however, trying to say I have "blind" brand loyalty, implies that I am ignorant or lack the ability to make responsible decisions. My decision to stay "loyal" to the xbox comes from the system having the games I want to play and the friends I want to play with... its a preference and a choice that I choose to make, and just because YOU dont agree with it, I would appreciate it if you wouldnt attempt to insult me. If you want to have a civil, interesting, and informative discussion, I would be glad to chat away all day long. However, I refuse to deal with anyone if they want to act childish and start throwing insults, no matter how vague.