Xbox One Sells a Million Units In 24 Hours

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
chippa6 said:
my questions is

since the PS4 is only in North America.
Is this Xbox figure in North America alone or in all the countries it launched in?
Pretty sure this is all the countries it launched in, considering that the PS4 isn't even available in Europe (only released in North America/Canada) The PS4 numbers are guaranteed to shoot past the million it sold on launch.

But... Canada is like HALF of North America! :(

Why you no recognize us world? Or was your slash implying that Canada is effectively equivalent to all of North America? :D

OT: Yeah it would be nice if the average consumer weren't so ready to buy overpriced spyware and stick it in their living-room.

But at least that does means that Sony sold more in North America than MS did!

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
Gonna say the same thing I said about the PS4 launch: one million people aren't responsible with their money and are suckers for being early adopters.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Well for what it's worth, I went to a JB Hi-Fi here, and they guy told me they were walking out the door. I even saw a guy there drop about $870 on one as I stood there. Ironically, I couldn't find one store with a display unit with a controller out to check how it felt, but I could find a PS4 setup so I could test out the Dualshock 4. Comfy controller.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
While I pity the people who actually bought an Xbox One (or PS4, for that matter. Don't buy consoles at launch kids), some good competition for Sony is always welcome. Might keep them from becoming too complacent. Or so it is to be hoped.

Neyon

May 3, 2009
Do remember that it isn't technically true that 1m have been sold in the first 24 hours. Firms just count all pre orders as sales the moment the product is released. The 1m isn't people actually making their purchasing choice in that 24 hours.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Quantum Glass said:
Baresark said:
I honestly would have been more surprised if it didn't do just as well. Most people hold the systems themselves in equal regard. I mean, if I were looking at which one to buy based on launch lineup... Xbone would have have gotten my money, if for no other reason than I would love to play Dead Rising 3. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to see this thing crash and burn as much as the next guy because of all that PR bullshit they pulled. A part of me always knew that would never happen though.
Wait, why do we want it to crash and burn again?

I get that their policies when Xbox One was first announced were pretty undesirable, but from what I can tell they've changed most of them at this point.
If i murdered somone and then said im sorry i changed and i wont do it again you would just forgive me and let me go? i doubt it. Saying you wont do it does not wash away the previuos crimes.

SirDeadly said:
There was about 20 people at the midnight launch I went to and most of those people got there within the last half an hour until midnight. I think it's good that people are buying it, it means more games and hopefully better games for all of us.
I dont go to midnight launch so i dont know why is that unusual. isnt the point is to be there are midnight? why would i come way to oearly? so i could get the console 5 minutes quicer by standing in like for 2 hours? how is 5 minutes saved for 2 hours wasted a fair exchange?
And do tell us all how does having a competitor that aims to lock people in with exclusives and are generally anti-consumer results in better games for us all.

Sniper Team 4 said:
That doesn't surprise me. The internet is often very loud, and can become very one-sided on certain issues, but I've seen it countless times where it turns out that the world outside of the internet doesn't, surprisingly, follow the same thinking as the internet. I know a lot of people who were super excited for the Xbox One launch, and with something this big, there was no way that everyone shared the same feelings as the apparent majority of people shouting on the internet.
Sadly, real life is inferior to internet.

Neyon said:
Do remember that it isn't technically true that 1m have been sold in the first 24 hours. Firms just count all pre orders as sales the moment the product is released. The 1m isn't people actually making their purchasing choice in that 24 hours.
Granted the practice may be different across the atlantic, but here you have to pay for the preorder for them to reserve a copy. If you didnt pay they may just as well sold to another one. A pre-order you havent paid for does not count as a sale. Unless you pick an optino to pay directly to the delivery man which some suppliers accept here, but even then you sign a digital contract that you are going to pay him and they have a right to demand it unless you do the proper procedure for returning.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Well it didn't tank then.
That's good because the wiiu isn't really competition for the ps4.

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
Strazdas said:
SirDeadly said:
There was about 20 people at the midnight launch I went to and most of those people got there within the last half an hour until midnight. I think it's good that people are buying it, it means more games and hopefully better games for all of us.
I dont go to midnight launch so i dont know why is that unusual. isnt the point is to be there are midnight? why would i come way to oearly? so i could get the console 5 minutes quicer by standing in like for 2 hours? how is 5 minutes saved for 2 hours wasted a fair exchange?
And do tell us all how does having a competitor that aims to lock people in with exclusives and are generally anti-consumer results in better games for us all.
I've been to midnight launches where it's taken hours to get out, and the store I go to is a small one. That is why I reckon it's a good idea to get there early. Two hours early to be home playing while everyone else is still in line, I know what I'd prefer.

They wouldn't make games if the system didn't sell would they?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Did someone really got suspended for telling someone else to calm down?

What the fuck, moderators?

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
How many were returned after finding out you had to be online to use the thing for the first time?

Same question for Sony.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
Phrozenflame500 said:
1 million worldwide vs 1 million in NA only.

Can't wait to see total PS4 sales numbers.
Because that would definitely improve your experience with your platform of choice...

Demandred20

Apr 13, 2013
Has this forum been taken over by the SonyDefenceForce or somethimg? As an outsider with no horse in this race I think that people owning PS4s should welcome a successful Xbox one because can anyone ever think when a monopoly was responsible for making things better for the consumer? At least with this both companies are forced to be on their feet a bit.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
AgentLampshade said:
How many were returned after finding out you had to be online to use the thing for the first time?

Same question for Sony.
I'd be immensely surprised if it was more than 100. You'd have to be a special kind of stupid to buy at launch and be completely unaware of what's needed for the console to work, not to mention the fact that you'd be returning it instead of contacting customer support for a workaround.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
EffectiveKill said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
snipppity
I'm not saying Sony are saints. Every company is gonna do something anti-consumer, because every company has at least one executive that thinks that annoying their customers is worth that second solid gold toilet seat. But after insulting their playerbase, puting in draconian DRM, abandoning their core audience and openly admitting that their console spies on you, I don't see why anyone would buy them. I know they redacted most of the bad points, but since then they've kept on hinting they're gonna quietly patch them back in anyway a few months down the line.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Firstly, congratulations Microsoft!

Steven Bogos said:
Xbox One Sells a Million Units In 24 Hours

The Xbox One had just as a successful launch as the PlayStation 4.
Sorry, but not at all. This really requires an edit of the article as it's simply not true. I'm guessing it was just a simple misunderstanding of numbers but the Xbone launch was global and the PS4 has not launched everywhere yet, with NA the only territory.

Doesn't look so good on the Escapist with mistakes like the above going unedited.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
GoaThief said:
Actually it says in the article that this was across all 13 countries. And on paper, right now the PS4 and the Xbone are tied. This is certainly gonna change when the PS4 comes out in Europe and Japan though.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
I'd love to see those numbers compared to when Sony actually launches worldwide.

PS4 sold 1 million in the US alone, if playstation actually beats out the NA market then it's lights out for Xbox.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't say they've had just as a successful launch as Sony. They may have sold a million units on day one, but that's world wide. Sony sold that in just North America, that makes Sony's PS4 far more successful in my opinion. Imagine how much the PS4 sales figure will jump up when it hits Europe.