Xbox One Skype and Streaming Apps May Ban Users for Swearing

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Xbox One Skype and Streaming Apps May Ban Users for Swearing

Your Xbox One does not appreciate that potty mouth, so keep it in check or you might get a time out!

Microsoft may be temporarily banning users who swear while using Skype and Upload Studio on Xbox One. Multiple users have taken to Reddit and the Xbox One forums after finding themselves locked out of the apps, presumably after submitting content - Either uploading gameplay streams or using Skype to make a private call - which included profanity. Based on the photo above, posted by Twitter user Connor [https://twitter.com/getB3NT/status/404963267896172544], the Xbox One tells banned users to "choose something else to play... Because of their past behavior."

"I made a video and said a bad word (not really a swear in my opinion, but I do understand their displeasure - the nickname of the name Richard) and now I am not able to put Kinect videos on my uploads or upload gameplay at all," says Reddit user Macedonian Wolf [http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1rd0su/psa_for_upload_studio_do_not_use_any_profanity/].

Macedonian Wolf found, upon calling Microsoft customer service, that his or her account was still "in good standing" with Xbox Live. Microsoft customer service said the company would work to lift the ban. Sure enough, Wolf was able to open Upload Studio again within 24 hours.

Meanwhile, some Xbox One forum-goers are suggesting the ban may be connected to the apps' content rating: Many users claim they have successfully uploaded profanity-laced streaming content from M-rated games like Battlefield 4.

As code of conduct for Xbox Live [http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/25/5143542/report-xbox-one-skype-upload-studio-users-banned-for-swearing] prevents users from using profanity in their gamertags, Avatars, profiles or in-game content. The terms do not specifically mention streaming gameplay.

Source: Polygon [http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1rd0su/psa_for_upload_studio_do_not_use_any_profanity/]

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
What the fuck is wrong with a bit of swearing?

If it's used to hurl abuse at someone, surely the reason for banning should be the abuse, not the fact that swore.

What's disturbing is:

using Skype to make a private call
Why are microsoft even monitoring private calls?

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Wait...So you can get banned for swearing in a private Skype call?

Great thing that Microsoft coverts the piracy of their users so much...

bluecrimson

No soffidx.
Sep 8, 2010
Well, that's disturbing and yet at the same time completely expected. I just wish that America wasn't as willing to give up privacy to 'stop them durn turrists', really, but one event a decade ago's cowed the populace.

It's ridiculous, really.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I'm more annoyed at the constant hate swearing gets.

If you're in a social environment, playing games etc then what is wrong with swearing? 13 year olds know most swear words. If you're in an interview and start swearing then it becomes an issue 'cos it's not professional ... wouldn't want your waiter to be swearing, would you? As much as you wouldn't want them to say "sup, what you want?".

More on topic. Getting banned from skype for swearing in a private call doesn't sound right to me. I doubt even MS would go that far.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Wait, hold on, what does that error say?
"Because of your past behavior, you can't Xbox Live Gold is required to use Skype for Xbox One."
Uuuuh... does Microsoft know how grammar works? 'Cos it's really not like that.

Though even if they could spell this is still really shitty. Private calls shouldn't be getting monitored and moderated, and so long as you provide warning there's no reason not to let streamers say whatever the dick they want.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Getting banned for swearing during a private skype call?
That can't be real.

option1soul

Nov 17, 2013
So Microsoft is deliberately trying to be the "Big Brother" of video games? Even more reason for me to pass on the Xbox One.

Telling you how/when/why/what you can do with your system after you've bought it is pretty crappy. It's like you're paying them for "permission" to use their system entirely at their discretion; you don't even own it.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
I'm a grown adult. I will use what language I see fit. You do not like it? Then I suggest you do as the late bill hicks once said on the matter. Calm down, take a breath, look around you and shut the fuck up.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
bluecrimson said:
Well, that's disturbing and yet at the same time completely expected. I just wish that America wasn't as willing to give up privacy to 'stop them durn turrists', really, but one event a decade ago's cowed the populace.

It's ridiculous, really.
I assume the event you are talking about was the Janet Jackson Super Bowl nip slip, right? That directly led to a heavy crack-down on using profanity on TV and stuff.

Otherwise I'm not sure what you are talking about. No one is overlooking the privacy concerns of the XBox One because they think that might somehow be used to avenge 9/11.

MS probably just screwed up some code that was supposed to stop users from saying bad words in multiplayer games that aren't rated M. No one is being "cowed" here. If MS is actually going to enforce a rule that says you can't use cuss words in a private Skype call, then people will not just accept that. It will be a huge PR disaster for them.

I'm guessing they'll probably push an update to fix this and hope these first few instances are forgotten.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Sooooo... big brother microsoft is indeed watching you?

Who would have thought?! Oh thats right.. everyone who decided against buying one of these things.

Did anyone really believed that microsoft wouldnt somehow monitor your usage of the xbone you bought?

But seriously even in private skype calls? How does that even work? Do they have a software running in the background that has a blacklist of "words youre not allowed to say"?

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
So this is the feature they put in, instead of backwards compatibility? I'm glad I'm not getting a console from this generation. Thats also some great Engrish in the screenshot. Was any of the software for that thing developed in an english speaking country?

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
As fun as mocking M$ is, it's probably a mistake. Trying to cover all the in-game videos and Skype calls would be incredibly costly and not return any money to them.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
Ironically this won't stop the 13 year-olds (or those with the mind of a 13 year-old) from swearing and making all sorts of hateful comments while playing the latest CoD because it's rated "M".

Why am I not surprised? This all reeks of Microsoft's BS policies that we've known about for, what, a year now and still continue to hope that all their DRM and snooping ways weren't really going to happen. "Listening" in on personal Skype phonecalls is crossing a line and makes me seriously wodner about the sanity of people who allow the Kinect into their home.

And MS should really look back at the 1st Amendmant again seeing as their an American business: profanity, in many situations (not all), is protected. I'm sure a personal phone call would be protected there and banning people for something like that could bring out a big ol' pot of boiling water.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
But Microsoft is totally not spying on you guys. It's just monitoring everything you do! There's a difference!

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
omega 616 said:
I'm more annoyed at the constant hate swearing gets.

If you're in a social environment, playing games etc then what is wrong with swearing? 13 year olds know most swear words. If you're in an interview and start swearing then it becomes an issue 'cos it's not professional ... wouldn't want your waiter to be swearing, would you? As much as you wouldn't want them to say "sup, what you want?".

More on topic. Getting banned from skype for swearing in a private call doesn't sound right to me. I doubt even MS would go that far.
Yeah, I agree with this, swearing when the situation calls for it or when it's natural is fine. Swearing in private calls... well who the fuck cares?! I could understand if this was simply during multiplayer and I would even support it (less annoying people shouting profanities making it possible to hear what the game sounds like), but private calls is so silly I am almost having problems believing it. Sadly, I can sort of believe it...

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
No, they are not monitoring private calls, it was for "excessive profanity" on the Upload Studio app. Stupid yes (although I can see why they would ban people from the Upload Sutdio app, if it was on a lower age rating of game they were swearing on), but not the Big Brother conspiracy that people like to think off when it comes to the Xbox One.