Xbox One Skype and Streaming Apps May Ban Users for Swearing

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
A private call?

Seriously though... Thinking of the children is one thing. Policing how friends speak to each other using the internet is another.

I'd double check those EULA's and terms of service if I had an Xbone.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
As someone who curses regularly when in private chat with my actual friends:

I love how MS doesn't lift a finger when people circumvent filters to fill your inbox with hate speech because they lost.
Also, nice respect for privacy you have there. We can TOTALLY trust you

EclipsiumRasa

Nov 8, 2012
Michael Epstein said:
Meanwhile, some Xbox One forum-goers are suggesting the ban may be connected to the apps' content rating: Many users claim they have successfully uploaded profanity-laced streaming content from M-rated games like Battlefield 4.
If this doesn't result in immature gamers gravitation to games with M ratings so they can swear and mature gamers losing interest in those games (and maybe getting jaded of video games as a whole) I'll be shocked.

Of course if a games company acts on this and makes an FPS with first rate gunplay but without the bloody or highly realistic violence they'll have a carved out a niche of market share that neither Battlefield or Call of Duty will ever claim back. Once you're civilised you don't want to play with any more screaming tantruming manchildren ever again.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Tenmar said:
But everyone! Don't you understand? This is to make it so there is a more comfortable environment so that everyone can enjoy playing video games!

Seriously though, you all had to realize this was coming when you started supporting groups like Extra Credits and trying to get rid of "toxic" people from the hobby of video games. Same when people agreed that video games should be more accommodating to women as well(really don't get this one to be honest considering women have been playing games for decades but hey new social movements an all). Ya have only yourselves to blame for this when you decided to trade in your freedom to speak how you personally speak in your leisure time to try and make your hobby be so professional it was like a second job.

So hey, enjoy knowing that everyday you get off of work from that long 6-5 job(I'm including the children factor and commute time here) that those few precious moments you do have time to play video games that you will have to keep that stick up your ass just like you do at work. Yeah for enabling people to enforce their morality on what people do in their private lives and leisure activities! YEAH!

EDIT: Oh and don't think you people who are lucky enough not to work those 6-5 jobs are getting off easy, remember more companies are enabling people the ability to report without providing any actual evidence so enjoy knowing that if someone is offended they get to report you to.
So it's Extra Credits' fault that Microsoft are tapping private Skype conversations. You learn something new every day...

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
hazabaza1 said:
Wait, hold on, what does that error say?
"Because of your past behavior, you can't Xbox Live Gold is required to use Skype for Xbox One."
Uuuuh... does Microsoft know how grammar works? 'Cos it's really not like that.
I think it says:

Because of your past behavior, you ****! Xbox Live Gold is required to use Skype for Xbox One.
Good to know that I'm only missing out on Nanny Microsoft making sure all the girls and boys are playing nicely whilst not being terrorists.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
And we all thought Google was only evil spying empire working on behalf of the NSA? Oh Microsoft, is there anything else you can't f*** up?

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
Lol. Simple answer to this crap is don't use them, then. We'll see how long they hold onto that view with five users.

What's next? Getting extra on your phone bill, because you swear at someone you know in jest. Very funny bs, MS.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
We're really looking at credible sources here. Reddit AND Twitter, wowee. Just need to add a wikipedia article and we've got the most reliable bit of news that ever existed.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
"...or using Skype to make a private call..."

A "private" call. Remember way, way back (several days ago) when Steve Ballmer said Microsoft could be trusted with its users' privacy?

Oops.

Raine_sage

Sep 13, 2011
I wonder if it's actually microsoft monitoring calls or of the kinect just has a built in list of "no no words" and pings MS when one of them is used while the console is online. Given someone was apparently banned for saying dick (the shortened form of richard) I have a hard time believing that was the call of someone sitting behind a screen listening to the audio and making a conscious descision.

Stories like that sound more like the hallmark of poorly designed filter programs.

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
redknightalex said:
And MS should really look back at the 1st Amendmant again seeing as their an American business: profanity, in many situations (not all), is protected. I'm sure a personal phone call would be protected there and banning people for something like that could bring out a big ol' pot of boiling water.
The part of the first amendment about freedom of speech says the government can't restrict speech. Microsoft as a company (nationalities of corporations is kinda iffy nowadays) is free to make you sing The British national anthem to turn it on.

As to the actual banning, I think it might be a good, if not flawed attempt to enforcing content rating on games with such. I don't know what would be a better alternative, but they're trying.....something?

As to the private calls, sorry Microsoft. Tried to see a reasonable answer there, but just can't. Either it's a fuck up, or they genuinely lost the feel for how the general gaming public would react to implemented policies. I would give more leeway with the "fuck up" option, but their recent history at unveiling all the initial craziness with Xbone and thinking people would be ok with it makes me second guess that now.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Weaver said:
But Microsoft is totally not spying on you guys. It's just monitoring everything you do! There's a difference!
B-But in 1984, they would drag you to the Ministry of Love and t-torture you for doing bad things! A-At least M-Microsoft just bans those scoundrels! H-How generous!

Winston's government had it all wrong - people will gladly accept a Telescreen in their homes if it comes with a copy of Dead Rising 3.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Tenmar said:
Seriously though, you all had to realize this was coming when you started supporting groups like Extra Credits and trying to get rid of "toxic" people from the hobby of video games. Same when people agreed that video games should be more accommodating to women as well(really don't get this one to be honest considering women have been playing games for decades but hey new social movements an all). Ya have only yourselves to blame for this when you decided to trade in your freedom to speak how you personally speak in your leisure time to try and make your hobby be so professional it was like a second job.
it's not nearly as black and white as you make it sound. Yeah, freedom of speech is important, but I would be all for handing out bans for foul language if it was targeted at morons who harass people in online play, rather than private calls and livestreams. People pay microsoft for the right to use their servers, which puts microsoft in the position of having to decide whether to protect the rights of whiny manchildren to abuse whoever they please, or to protect the happiness and comfort of the greatest number of people possible. Honestly, it's a no brainer.

granted, that's all off topic, since at the end of the day this is an action that helps no one and hurts everyone. Since the rating of the game may decide whether you get banned or not, and the bans themselves occurred from a personal stream, which people can choose of their own free will to view.

... and that's not even touching the unfortunate implications involved in banning for the content of a private call.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I am honestly quite sick and tired of swearing being some sort of big thing. In Australia swearing in public is even an offence, although an incredibly weakly enforced one. I wish we could all just accept swearing as part of the fucking language and get on with our lives. Swearing is no better an indicator of bad conduct than a loud voice. Oh, and private calls, yeah.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
frobalt said:
What the fuck is wrong with a bit of swearing?

If it's used to hurl abuse at someone, surely the reason for banning should be the abuse, not the fact that swore.

What's disturbing is:

using Skype to make a private call
Why are microsoft even monitoring private calls?
Microsoft doesn't monitor Skype calls... but they can provide access if the government wants a listen.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
option1soul said:
So Microsoft is deliberately trying to be the "Big Brother" of video games?

[HEADING=2]"I have no idea what you're talking about! Really!"[/HEADING]​

Pricks...

Well, I feel sorry for people who bought this console, only to be - in ways rising with every report - thoroughly X-Boned. Microsoft was clearly taking the fucking piss when they started this, lied out their asses about really trying to listen to customer outrage, and then went and damn well did things even worse.

Microsoft, may your company buildings be caved in by consoles and old computers launched at them via catapult/trebuchet.

option1soul

Nov 17, 2013
FalloutJack said:
Microsoft, may your company buildings be caved in by consoles and old computers launched at them via catapult/trebuchet.
Those consoles and computers are, of course, the ones that they've "loaned" out to the public (through sale).

Also you forgot to mention they should be given nasty gashes from Surface RTs.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
option1soul said:
Also you forgot to mention they should be given nasty gashes from Surface RTs.
And impaled by Kinects, I suppose. They may have made billions in computer technology, but they don't know shit about gaming.