Xbox One Skype and Streaming Apps May Ban Users for Swearing

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
I still see no indication that Microsoft are listening in on Skype conversations. All indications are that excessive swearing (whatever that means) in uploaded content seems to trigger a temporary ban that carries over into Skype (and probably some other applications). Not that swearing in a private Skype conversation gets you banned.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
you can't really both support free speech and at the same time expect anybody to agree with your opinion that somebody else's opinion shouldn't have been expressed at all in order to protect us from a vaguely connected event

deathjavu

Nov 18, 2009
Tenmar said:
But everyone! Don't you understand? This is to make it so there is a more comfortable environment so that everyone can enjoy playing video games!

Seriously though, you all had to realize this was coming when you started supporting groups like Extra Credits and trying to get rid of "toxic" people from the hobby of video games. Same when people agreed that video games should be more accommodating to women as well(really don't get this one to be honest considering women have been playing games for decades but hey new social movements an all). Ya have only yourselves to blame for this when you decided to trade in your freedom to speak how you personally speak in your leisure time to try and make your hobby be so professional it was like a second job.

So hey, enjoy knowing that everyday you get off of work from that long 6-5 job(I'm including the children factor and commute time here) that those few precious moments you do have time to play video games that you will have to keep that stick up your ass just like you do at work. Yeah for enabling people to enforce their morality on what people do in their private lives and leisure activities! YEAH!

EDIT: Oh and don't think you people who are lucky enough not to work those 6-5 jobs are getting off easy, remember more companies are enabling people the ability to report without providing any actual evidence so enjoy knowing that if someone is offended they get to report you to.
I'm trying to figure out how all these things are linked and all I'm coming up with is a graph that looks suspiciously like wiggly troll arms.

The baffling thing to me is that these are totally the wrong apps for this kind of crap. If you're going to start trying to clean up the xbox environment, can we start with COD? Please? And then maybe the inbox? These are actual public forums, and Microsoft is trying to control one of the only nonpublic services they offer! I literally cannot understand the reasoning.

Of course if a games company acts on this and makes an FPS with first rate gunplay but without the bloody or highly realistic violence they'll have a carved out a niche of market share that neither Battlefield or Call of Duty will ever claim back. Once you're civilised you don't want to play with any more screaming tantruming manchildren ever again."
I think that's called TF2, to some extent. Usually my pub games have been reasonably civilized. And if certainly meets the FPS with firstrate gameplay but not realistic violence criteria.

Winston's government had it all wrong - people will gladly accept a Telescreen in their homes if it comes with a copy of Dead Rising 3.
That's why Brave New World is a scarier dystopia than 1984. All it requires is laziness instead of mammoth institutions, and humans have that in spades.

Honestly, something is off about this story. It just don't quite add up.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Tenmar said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
So it's Extra Credits' fault that Microsoft are tapping private Skype conversations. You learn something new every day...
I think you missed the word "like" in there good sir. But be it skype or how we choose to upload our videos we should be able to swear freely. There are no actual laws that makes swearing illegal, all it does is make those with a weak constitution uncomfortable but that isn't against the law. You put in the tools for people to socialize they are going to socialize the way they are comfortable. I get it when you want people to act professionally when you are say on the job, but we are talking about a hobby, the time of day where people get to unwind after dealing with all the crap and it helps people deal with the stress. With crap like this, you can't even unwind during your leisure activity. Obviously I put more blame on Microsoft for having such a terrible policy but it is always going to be those groups who enforce their morality on others that cause this invasion of the private space.
No, you're conflating things. There's been a movement on recently to encourage people who play multiplayer games to be more civil to their fellow players. What Microsoft are doing is banning people for swearing in private Skype calls and for uploading gameplay recordings with swearing commentary. It's not related and not what anyone is actually asking for.

hngst2404

Nov 26, 2013
This story is a prime example of why a blog writer is not necessarily a journalist. The headline is misleading at best and certainly designed to ignite passions. What is occurring here is simply that those who Upload to the studio video with profanity, etc, they are issued bans. This has nothing to do with Skype, except that when you get the mini-ban, you are also not able to use Skype. Nobody has been banned for swearing on Skype, this is a ridiculous notion spurred by paranoia and a desire to get folks to read this story and get up in arms. Where this story has been reported elsewhere more care was taken to convey what actually occurred.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
frobalt said:
What the fuck is wrong with a bit of swearing?

If it's used to hurl abuse at someone, surely the reason for banning should be the abuse, not the fact that swore.

What's disturbing is:

using Skype to make a private call
Why are microsoft even monitoring private calls?
And you took the words right out of my mouth. Last time I checked, I was an adult and unless I'm around the impressionable(or my grandmother) I really don't see issues with swearing.

And the banning on a PRIVATE CALL bit? I'm pretty sure that's straight up illegal, Skype isn't apart of Microsoft and as long as I've been using it they've never contacted me and basically said "Time out for naughty language".

GOD I am glad I steered clear of Xbox One, the more I see of it the more I pity those they suckered into buying it.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
option1soul said:
So Microsoft is deliberately trying to be the "Big Brother" of video games? Even more reason for me to pass on the Xbox One.

Telling you how/when/why/what you can do with your system after you've bought it is pretty crappy. It's like you're paying them for "permission" to use their system entirely at their discretion; you don't even own it.
That's what they were doing originally when they announced all the "features" of the Xbox One. Then when they saw that it went over as well as a prostate exam by Edward Scissorhands, they turned around so fast it would have snapped a gymnast in half. And now it's only a matter of time before they start re-introducing the lovely "features" of the Xbox One to the sad lot that bought it. Mark my words, it will happen.

EDIT: And I posted ONCE today site, WHY DO YOU THINK I AM A SPAM BOT FOR POSTING MORE THAN ONCE A DAY?!
"It's Time to Overdo" no, it's NOT so stop doing it!

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
This is just incredibly disturbing to me, first of all whats so terrible about swearing second of all, to detect swearing IT HAS TO BE LISTENING TO YOU, which is just incredibly unnerving and kind of creepy to me, glad I didn't buy an Xbone

hngst2404

Nov 26, 2013
Again, even after its been proven that nobody was banned due to swearing on Skype, that is all folks here write about? I cannot imagine why folks only see or read what they want to see or read.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Assuming the part a bout Skype isn't bullshit, I'm comfortably sure that's class-action lawsuit worty right there.

But it's more likely someone finding an assumed issue.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
As much as I hate how people find their leasure time inseparable from blurting shite in my ears, this really is the wrong way to go about it... A game box should not be what asks you to pack it in.

I'm predicting a very large grow in creative euphemisms in that particular service.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Tenmar said:
Seriously though, you all had to realize this was coming when you started supporting groups like Extra Credits and trying to get rid of "toxic" people from the hobby of video games. Same when people agreed that video games should be more accommodating to women as well(really don't get this one to be honest considering women have been playing games for decades but hey new social movements an all). Ya have only yourselves to blame for this when you decided to trade in your freedom to speak how you personally speak in your leisure time to try and make your hobby be so professional it was like a second job.

So hey, enjoy knowing that everyday you get off of work from that long 6-5 job (I'm including the children factor and commute time here) that those few precious moments you do have time to play video games that you will have to keep that stick up your ass just like you do at work. Yeah for enabling people to enforce their morality on what people do in their private lives and leisure activities! YEAH!

EDIT: Oh and don't think you people who are lucky enough not to work those 6-5 jobs are getting off easy, remember more companies are enabling people the ability to report without providing any actual evidence so enjoy knowing that if someone is offended they get to report you to.
Hold on a second. To begin with, the issue most of us have with this news is that Microsoft seems to be monitoring private calls.

Second. while I agree with you about overly strict rules diminishing enjoyment, a complete lack of moderation would also tarnish it. And I feel like Xbox Live is not the most shining example of an online community. There are a lot of communities were you can loosen yourself and have a great time (as long as your idea of "having a great time doens't involve being a prick to everybody else), like TF2's for example.

I'm sorry if you read my first comment, it came out a lot more hostile that I wanted it to be.

hngst2404

Nov 26, 2013
Two-A, the problem with this story is that monitoring private calls is not what Ms was doing here. Outside of this incorrectly written report is the originals reports that state specifically that people were banned due to uploading offensive video content. This resulted in Xbox live bans (temporary) whioch in turn made things like Skype not work. At no time was anybody banned because they swore during Skype, that is entirely made up to inflame folks.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
SWEARING IS THE WORST THING IN THE WORLD!!!!

I understand in games and directed at people but in Skype?
That's weird and it's getting too over the top.

What if someone steps on lego!?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Oh, great, now they can censor us even in spoken language. Its not enough that just saying "fuck it" gets you banned on most websites "for swearing", now you can even do that in your private skype call. You know what microsoft? Fuck you.

hazabaza1 said:
Wait, hold on, what does that error say?
"Because of your past behavior, you can't Xbox Live Gold is required to use Skype for Xbox One."
Uuuuh... does Microsoft know how grammar works? 'Cos it's really not like that.
so glad i wasnt the only one who noticed that even with my poor English i notice the horrible grammar there. almost looks like a fake image or something.

Chaosritter said:
Oh boy, if they introduce these policies to XBL parties and in-game chats as well, COD will soon be free of twelve year olds. :D
you meant to say COD will soon be free of any players?

Tenmar said:
So hey, enjoy knowing that everyday you get off of work from that long 6-5 job(I'm including the children factor and commute time here) that those few precious moments you do have time to play video games that you will have to keep that stick up your ass just like you do at work. Yeah for enabling people to enforce their morality on what people do in their private lives and leisure activities! YEAH!
I think if you factor in commute and children factor it would be more like 5-19 job factor.
ALso if you dont want interaction with people - dont play online. simple.

redknightalex said:
And MS should really look back at the 1st Amendmant again seeing as their an American business: profanity, in many situations (not all), is protected. I'm sure a personal phone call would be protected there and banning people for something like that could bring out a big ol' pot of boiling water.
It woudl be funny if MS would get a class action lawsuit now for breaking constitutional rights.

BigTuk said:
Now I'd like to know,.... how does the X-box know what a swear word is?
the same way all those websites automatically censoring you for swear words know. no context, if the letter combination fits - ban.

Raine_sage said:
I wonder if it's actually microsoft monitoring calls or of the kinect just has a built in list of "no no words" and pings MS when one of them is used while the console is online. Given someone was apparently banned for saying dick (the shortened form of richard) I have a hard time believing that was the call of someone sitting behind a screen listening to the audio and making a conscious descision.

Stories like that sound more like the hallmark of poorly designed filter programs.
I know a guy whos actuall real name is Dick. Basically people calling him by name would be banned. And lets not even get into the whole "Dix" pronouncation. Thats a real name too.
Also all filter programs are poorly designed if only for the fact that they are filter programs.

rednose1 said:
As to the actual banning, I think it might be a good, if not flawed attempt to enforcing content rating on games with such. I don't know what would be a better alternative, but they're trying.....something?
Erm what? How does bannign swear words enforce content ranting (btw, it is not, should not and i hope never will be enforced by law)? You do know that 10 year olds know swear words right?

otakon17 said:
And the banning on a PRIVATE CALL bit? I'm pretty sure that's straight up illegal, Skype isn't apart of Microsoft and as long as I've been using it they've never contacted me and basically said "Time out for naughty language".
Actually Microsoft OWNS skype.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
otakon17 said:
Skype isn't apart of Microsoft
Microsoft bought Skype YEARS ago, so yeah, it is very much a part of Microsoft.

Edit: I know it looks like I didn't read Strazdas's post, but he edited it while I was typing.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Oh Microsoft. I expected this crap from Nintendo cause I they are family based and I fully understand the censorship but now you? Spying with kinetic and now censorship with Skype. Sad times.

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
Erm what? How does bannign swear words enforce content ranting (btw, it is not, should not and i hope never will be enforced by law)? You do know that 10 year olds know swear words right?
So, because some 10 year olds know how to swear, we should just forgo any attempt at enforcing content rating rules? Everyone doesn't fall under this category, and some parents actually try to ensure their kids aren't exposed to it that kind of language just yet. Til now, they have either had to let their kids play with friends online in certain games and hope for the best, or flat out deny online play altogether to prevent any occurrence of people swearing at their children. Microsoft has taken an initial, albeit clumsy, step into helping with that decision. Could they have done a better job with it? absolutely (getting rid of the private call banning, being more open with policy would've helped)

And it's not enforced by law, it's enforced by capitalism. If games choose to not put an ESRB rating on, then many people don't know whether it's something they should buy or not, and forgo it. Some stores wont even stock the game without a content rating. No company would willingly cut their profits by not including it. Now Microsoft can tell parents that it is taking active steps to enforce that rating. If they can figure this mess out and wind up with mature games having everything associated with it, and the kid games online, free from vulgar language and other trollisness, then everyone wins, and Microsoft looks good for it.