Xbox One's Policy Reveal, According To Microsoft's Whitten

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
Good to see that my hopes for this shit getting patched out is being pursued before it even reaches a shelf. I'm sure there will be ways of dealing with the Kinect, whether it involves an off switch, facing it against a wall or wrapping it in a ball of cellophane. I'm seeing this conversation about MS having the potential to reinstate their restrictive policies, but I have a solution for that. Stop paying for XBL and stuff the Xbox in a closet/sell it/smash it to bits, they'll learn.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
"games which require a connected state, like Forza with its drivatars, will still need one regardless of Microsoft's policy change."

Walls.

Still present.

You know, considering the cloud functionality that's been shoe-horned into just about every single game?

Making games that can run off the hardware it's sold for seems to have become an outdated concept.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
YEAH.......... Still not getting this. I want to mark my statement that today is the day I said, "Micro$oft will change all this with a EULA change after they sell the lion share of the units they are going to."

Also anyone else notice that they pulled a "well it is my ball and I am leaving" with the family sharing?

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
BakaSmurf said:
Colt47 said:
They didn't listen to consumers. They listened to pre-order numbers and the loss of money in the bank because of the DRM policies and Kinect issue. Unfortunately, they still haven't dealt with the kinect or the price discrepancy, so it's a no purchase for me.
Yeah, because lord knows it isn't consumers that make pre-orders, roight...?
Well, yes. Point is they don't really care about the bellyaching from consumers as long as it doesn't hurt profit margins.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Colt47 said:
BakaSmurf said:
Colt47 said:
They didn't listen to consumers. They listened to pre-order numbers and the loss of money in the bank because of the DRM policies and Kinect issue. Unfortunately, they still haven't dealt with the kinect or the price discrepancy, so it's a no purchase for me.
Well, yes. Point is they don't really care about the bellyaching from consumers as long as it doesn't hurt profit margins.
That they listened to the consumers only begrudgingly after proof was presented that consumers wouldn't stomach their crap doesn't change the fact that they listened to the consumers.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
BakaSmurf said:
Colt47 said:
BakaSmurf said:
Colt47 said:
That they listened to the consumers only begrudgingly after proof was presented that consumers wouldn't stomach their crap doesn't change the fact that they listened to the consumers.
Honestly, Sony has more to do with Microsoft changing their policy than we do.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
windlenot said:
I like the whole "wants gamers to get excited again about the Xbox One" thing. Their PR and marketing figured out how to do their job.
They wanted us to be excited before, too. They've just really sucked at getting us there.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
BakaSmurf said:
If Sony had embraced the same kind of DRM, we would likely see pre-orders split. I doubt gamers as a whole would have the self-control to skip out on their new, shiny PRECIOUS!

Gamers don't like actually boycotting things. That's why boycotts tend to fail: we complain and then buy the stuff anyway. Gamers also tend to an X v Y attitude, where if one console is bad the ONLY alternative is "the" other. Not buying tends to be...Not a reality.

To be fair, X v Y isn't exactly exclusive to gamers. It's why our presidents tend to be the shinier turd (In America, at least), and so on.

erbi79

Apr 21, 2013
Colt47 said:
BakaSmurf said:
Colt47 said:
BakaSmurf said:
Colt47 said:
100% true, otherwise they would have never allowed sony to stomp at them at e3

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Colt47 said:
BakaSmurf said:
Colt47 said:
BakaSmurf said:
Colt47 said:
I don't see why you bothered responding at all if you were just going to make an attempt to side-step my arguement...

Zachary Amaranth said:
BakaSmurf said:
If Sony had embraced the same kind of DRM, we would likely see pre-orders split. I doubt gamers as a whole would have the self-control to skip out on their new, shiny PRECIOUS!

Gamers don't like actually boycotting things. That's why boycotts tend to fail: we complain and then buy the stuff anyway. Gamers also tend to an X v Y attitude, where if one console is bad the ONLY alternative is "the" other. Not buying tends to be...Not a reality.

To be fair, X v Y isn't exactly exclusive to gamers. It's why our presidents tend to be the shinier turd (In America, at least), and so on.
An arguement based on entirely on hypotheticals... Good show mate.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
BakaSmurf said:
Colt47 said:
BakaSmurf said:
Colt47 said:
BakaSmurf said:
Colt47 said:
I don't see why you bothered responding at all if you were just going to make an attempt to side-step my arguement...

Zachary Amaranth said:
BakaSmurf said:

I side stepped your argument because I saw your point and don't see any reason to keep arguing? o O

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Colt47 said:
BakaSmurf said:
I side stepped your argument because I saw your point and don't see any reason to keep arguing? o O
...Alright. Carry on then.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
BakaSmurf said:
Yes, people buying Mass Effect 3 when claiming to boycott it is a hypothetical. Good lie, mate.

Jun 20, 2013
Is it really so hard to keep an open ear for the wants and needs of the consumers? That is in addition to the authoring of flexible policies that strike the happy medium between developer, publisher and consumer? The vitriol of the gaming mega-giants are harming my appetite to play my beloved video-games.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Hmm let's see here

1:Still more Expensive than the PS4.

2:Still requires kinnect.

3: Requires my xbox be connected to the internet for the first update [which is impossible for me given the arrangement of my house right now]

Looks like I'm still going to be getting a PS4.

captcha:TIME MACHINE

Guessing that Microsoft is wishing it had one of these.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
saxman234 said:
I am just curious, did any of the game at the show even use Kinect? I think they have a new kinect sports, but besides that I didn't see one game that even incorporated kinect elements. Yes, the kinect is still as vital as ever, because navigating a menu is so much more difficult than trying to get Kinect to bring up the correct video sharing, tv, movie, whatever feature.
More like "Because the Kinect is vital to our profit stream as it is a tool we can use to compete in Google's playground. Hah! Google thinks they are so smart offering all this metadata on their users habits to advertisers. With Kinect we can tell the advertisers exactly what they are looking at, for how long, and what makes their heart rate... And they can't shut it off or avoid it!

Kinect has nothing to do with you as a gamer and everything to do with you as the product being sold.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Well, this is good news for Xbox One pre-purchasers in any case. I know I'm still sticking with the PS4 since it costs less and the benefits of the PS+ service are really good.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Karloff said:
The Kinect is still as vital as ever; you'll need to have it in order to play any of your games.
Aww, that's a shame. And here I was hoping I'd be able to play my games in my tiny shoebox I call home.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
BakaSmurf said:
Yes, people buying Mass Effect 3 when claiming to boycott it is a hypothetical. Good lie, mate.
Lie
noun
a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood. Synonyms: prevarication, falsification. Antonyms: truth.

Seeing as how I made no mention of Mass Effect 3, and for that matter, neither did you, it is clear that word doesn't mean whatever it is you think it means, so seeing as how you've yet to prove that you possess omniscient precognition and could thus literally see an alternative timeline launch of the Xbox One in which Microsoft never removed the heavy-handed DRM and provide infallible proof of said vision of the alternative future, then the arguement you put forth is indeed built on hypotheticals and nothing more, mate.