Xbox Play Anywhere Brings Xbox Games to Windows 10, Starting with Gears of War 4

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Xbox Play Anywhere Brings Xbox Games to Windows 10, Starting with Gears of War 4

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1329/1329049.jpgMicrosoft announced Xbox Play Anywhere, a new service that brings Xbox One games to your PC on Windows 10, and it starts with Gears of War 4.

Onstage at its E3 press conference, Microsoft announced a new service, known as "Xbox Play Anywhere." As rumors earlier today [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167702-Microsoft-May-Be-Bringing-More-Xbox-Games-to-Windows-10-Soon] indicated, Play Anywhere will bring Xbox One games that support the service to Windows 10 PCs. Saves and achievements will be shared across platforms with Xbox Play Anywhere, and it will also allow for cross-play as well. Buying the game on either platform will unlock it on the other.

The program was officially announced by Coalition studio head Rod Fergusson, as Gears of War 4 will be one of the first major titles to support the service. Not only will you be to play the newest Gears on both platforms, the game will also support cross-play in all of its co-op modes.

While the service is mostly focused on first-party titles for now, third-party titles are expected to be joining in soon. The first-party titles confirmed for the service so far are:

Forza Horizon 3
Gears of War 4
Halo Wars 2
ReCore
Scalebound
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
We Happy Few

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
They keep throwing the "play anywhere" and "no boundaries" slogan around, but I noticed the games are only available on Win 10. I remember back when they began cutting support for Win XP, it was justified by the push of newer versions of Direct X, and discontinued support of DX9. This time, it just seems to be "get on Win 10".

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Solkard said:
They keep throwing the "play anywhere" and "no boundaries" slogan around, but I noticed the games are only available on Win 10. I remember back when they began cutting support for Win XP, it was justified by the push of newer versions of Direct X, and discontinued support of DX9. This time, it just seems to be "get on Win 10".
Not to mention that these games will use UWP and not win32 executable files so like previous Windows 10 store games they will be missing basic features of PC games.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Wow, that's a lot of restrictions for so much "freedom" to play

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Zipa said:
Not to mention that these games will use UWP and not win32 executable files so like previous Windows 10 store games they will be missing basic features of PC games.
And so what? It's a small price to pay for cross-play. People are demanding for a more console like experience on the PC and guess what, you're getting it.

This is how MS want to run their titles and I say fair play to them. I don't expect every game to have the utilities of TES. And to everyone who whines and groans that WinXP is no longer support; Microsoft has to make money and as of a result they also made advances in software development. If you want an OS for the next 10 million years go for a Linux distro.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
mad825 said:
Zipa said:
And so what? It's a small price to pay for cross-play. People are demanding for a more console like experience on the PC and guess what, you're getting it.

This is how MS want to run their titles and I say fair play to them. I don't expect every game to have the utilities of TES. And to everyone who whines and groans that WinXP is no longer support; Microsoft has to make money and as of a result they also made advances in software development. If you want an OS for the next 10 million years go for a Linux distro.
UWP is restricting basic pc gaming features such as crossfire/sli, forcing vsync and not even allowing you to run the games in anything besides fullscreen borderless. It also restricts modding heavily to the point of it been like Fallout 4 on consoles. None of these features are exclusive to TES, they are simply PC features and for many it is too big of a sacrifice, you might as well just buy a console.

There are other issues as well like Gsync/Freesync not functioning on UWP games.

Also I would be interested to know who exactly is crying out for a console like experience on PCs, I find it hard to imagine it is PC gamers who are pretty well known at this point for their dislike of consoles.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Zipa said:
mad825 said:
Zipa said:

UWP is restricting basic pc gaming features such as crossfire/sli, forcing vsync and not even allowing you to run the games in anything besides fullscreen borderless. It also restricts modding heavily to the point of it been like Fallout 4 on consoles. None of these features are exclusive to TES, they are simply PC features and for many it is too big of a sacrifice, you might as well just buy a console.

There are other issues as well like Gsync/Freesync not functioning on UWP games.

Also I would be interested to know who exactly is crying out for a console like experience on PCs, I find it hard to imagine it is PC gamers who are pretty well known at this point for their dislike of consoles.
A lot of those issues have been fixed lately though.
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/directx/2016/05/10/unlocked-frame-rate-and-more-now-enabled-for-uwp/

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
NLS said:
Zipa said:
mad825 said:
Zipa said:

A lot of those issues have been fixed lately though.
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/directx/2016/05/10/unlocked-frame-rate-and-more-now-enabled-for-uwp/
A couple of them have been addressed but the list is still pretty extensive, and some of them will never be "fixed" because of the draconian nature of UWP. Microsoft are forever going to be trying to sell an inferior restricted product to people who generally are not too keen on the idea as its the opposite of why they use PC.

Apr 5, 2008
So...Play Anywhere is basically GfWL with a different name and branding?

mad825 said:
People are demanding for a more console like experience on the PC and guess what, you're getting it.
No PC gamer has ever "demanded" that. Ever. The reason we game on PCs is because we have no restrictions. Not one PC gamer anywhere has ever asked for console-like restrictions to improve their gaming experience, of that I can assure you. The most console like experience any of us need ever have is Steam Big Picture Mode (controller friendly PC gaming).

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Gears of War 4
ReCore
Scalebound
Welp there went the already minuscule chance I would ever consider a Xbone.
The complete non-issues with UWP pale in comparison to the chance to play a bunch of games I had previously resigned myself to missing out on.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
I hope the third party developers that "are expected of joining soon" advertise it extensively.

After the first few purchases of games running the steaming heap of sh** that was Games for Windows Live, I know better than to buy any game on a non-Steam platform, and back in the GFWL days getting the basic info of what DRM it forces before purchase was a pain in the ass.

I haven't really found myself missing Origin only games and I don't particularly feel I'm losing out on Ubisoft games, so it's just another column on the black list for me.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Funny thing everyones comparing UWP with GFWL. I have used GFWL last week (so no nostalgia glasses for me) and let me assure you GFWL is far better than UWP.

mad825 said:
Zipa said:

No, its not "small price" its "price so high it should not be acceptable to anyone and UWP should burn in hell for eternity".

No, NOONE is demanding for console-like experience on PC. that would be idiotic because you would be demanding worse experience. What people are demanding is console games on PC.

I dont think you understand the lack of functionality here. when you run UWP programs you cannot for example record video, alt-tab out of them, ect. You loose basic funcitonality thats been around for decades.

Except that windows 7 was an improvement over XP, windows 10 is not, it is only restricting users more.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
This does have me interested to be honest.

Why wouldn't I buy the Xbox One version of the game if it is going to get me a PC version, even if it is on the Windows Store, for free?

Later on I can give away or sell the console version and still play the game on my PC. No it isn't ideal with how restrictive the Windows Store/UWP is at the moment but it is a big leap in the right direction for me. Might even be the thing that finally gets me onto Windows 10.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Clearly, they are going to add more games. I don't what exclusives might've been on the Xbone because I'm never going to own one. But being locked out be chase it's an exclusive is annoying. I would love to try Last of Us but it's an exclusive so nope. I love all the dark souls games with a passion, but exclusive Bloodbourne is out of the question. I have a friend who has a PS4 and Bloodbourne she is willing to borrow me but nope. I'm not interested.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
This is great, I've been eyeing Scalebound for awhile hoping against hope that I wouldn't have to get an X1 just to play it (Platinum has been on a bad streak but I'm sure Activision has made it as difficult as possible for them and Transformers being at least good was a miracle). Microsoft and the devs have been making patches and updates to make UWP more like an environment that actually plays fucking PC games (Quantum Break has come a real long way from launch), so I'm fine with playing Scalebound in UWP instead of buying an X1.

The release of Gears of War 4 really adds extra sting to the lack of porting of 2 and 3, as well as Ultimate only being the first game and not the trilogy. I don't know why they'd expect PC only gamers to jump from 1 to 4 even with the different developer and Marcus being old/not playable and all that.

Even more evidence of Microsoft's hard place and allergy to money: There's a slim X1 but don't buy that because there's a whole better console coming, but don't buy that better console because you totally need 4K TV that we don't sell we promise, and we have exclusive games but you can play all of them better than X1 as long as you use the OS we're giving away for free and buy a GPU cheaper than any of our consoles, that we don't sell. Just go ahead and port the Master Chief collection while you're making my ability to give you as little money as possible more enticing.