Xbox President Don Mattrick Leaving For Zynga - UPDATED

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Vivid Kazumi said:
the xbox one is far from a sinking ship.but it does beg the question of why would anyone want to take the reign's of zynga o_O
Stock options. If he does turn the company around, he'll make a fortune. And he doubtlessly has a higher opinion of himself than the internet does.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Wow. I am not sure who is dumber, Zynga for hiring somebody who just breaths bad PR, or Don Mattrick, who is joining a company badly hiding the fact it is crashing into the ground.

It's like Don jumped off the Titanic and went onto the Doña Paz.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Man, I must be horribly out of touch here. What he was planning to do with the Xbox ONE was bat-shit insane to be sure and that did paint him in a bad light for me but from the comments I've read here, you people have apparently thought he was being a bastard for years.

What exactly did I miss that would grant him so much hatred?

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Looks like the upper management is having a job shuffle.

Wasn't the guy at EA already? Did he do well there where they want him back?

Also, Zynga seems like an odd place to go unless he's confident that he can be a floaty for a sinking ship.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
ssgt splatter said:
Man, I must be horribly out of touch here. What he was planning to do with the Xbox ONE was bat-shit insane to be sure and that did paint him in a bad light for me but from the comments I've read here, you people have apparently thought he was being a bastard for years.

What exactly did I miss that would grant him so much hatred?
Basically, everything that was great about the Xbox 360 came before Don Mattrick. He's pretty much just been milking past success and not doing things like updating their polices for indie games (Which were revolutionary at the time, but now look stupid next to Sony's).

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
This is hysterical. I look forward to Mattrick bringing his signature blend of wit and condescension to the Zynga's PR team.

"If you don't have microtransactions, you'll only be making micro traction."
"There's a product for people who want to play Zynga Poker and don't have Facebook. It's called a pack of cards."
"I'm sure it must be frustrating to be in the International Space Station and not be able to play Farmville."

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
ok then ....

one would thing Zynga would want some one a little more reputable and far less retarded to ya know, maybe fix them, I only see this making them worse.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
So Zynga you say, yes..

Well at least they won't look at your latest gaffe's and decide to turn you down. That says something about Zynga doesn't it.

So in a few months we hear of you again when you come talking about the latest zynga aquisitions. When Zynga has bought the biggest Facebook Bingo Sweepstakes Application. Well see you till then!

tardcore

Jan 15, 2011
So with his work done at Microsoft, secret agent Double O Dumbass is off to murder yet another company for his evil overlords.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010

Yeah, that video pretty much sums up my opinion on this.

Seriously, I can't help but wonder why he is leaving. Something tells me that it's not 100% voluntary. He's been a lightning rod of outrage since the Xbox One reveal. I suspect that they want someone who won't be automatically hated by gamers the minute he appears to replace him. Hopefully, they'll get someone good.

Now, if only they'll replace the Xbox One with a good console...

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Isn't that like taking the helm of the Hindenburg?
Close, it would be like sending the Human Torch to take the helm of the Hindenburg.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Mr.Tea said:
Oh god, it's confirmed...

I...

Just...

Bwhahahahahahahahahahaha!

Callate said:
I don't buy it. This is the game equivalent of an Onion headline.
Ronack said:
This reeks of Onion level parody.
What's the phrase about life being stranger than fiction...? Well, this is that; It's now confirmed [http://blog.zynga.com/2013/07/01/big-day/].
...Wow. Just... wow.

So I guess Zynga's portfolio now includes Skinner Box micropayment treadmills, stealing game ideas from other companies, and epic self-satire.

flaviok79

Feb 22, 2011
Zinga and Mattrick deserve each other. And I had the feeling he would leave Microsoft, because he was the public face (and perhaps the driving force in the company) for the Xbone DRM and "average Joe focus" bullshit. When they were force to do the 180, he lost face and probably was being encouraged to find another job.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Ok. Has anyone checked the Microsoft offices water supply for lead contamination, because all of this madness has to have a reason. It's just...

Uhhhhh my brain is actually hurting trying to understand the insanity surrounding the last few months of this dudes career.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I guess Mattrick thought Microsoft was getting soft when they stopped the online restrictions and ran away to join up with the bad crowd.

Er, worse crowd.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Wat

Did he decide that he really enjoys fucking up and joined the most fuckingest up game company in the industry?
It seems that way. It's like he wanted to find the sleaziest and stupidest of "game" companies to join, and he has succeeded. The only other place could of gone was EA, but that wouldn't have been as bad, because what makes EA higher on list compared to Zynga is that EA actually publishes and sometimes makes actual games.

Andy Chalk said:
"Over the last few months I've spent a lot of time thinking about all that we have achieved together as a company. We have pioneered social gaming and helped make Play a core part of millions of people's lives. But Zynga has so much more potential ahead, the opportunity to be an Internet Treasure and deliver on our mission of connecting the world through games," Pincus wrote.
I would say to Pincus, "No you didn't make 'Play' a part of millions of people's lives, you made repetitive clicking and 'friend' pestering a part of people's lives."

Zynga's "games" are pretty much the anti-games.