Xbox President Says World Has Changed From Offline to Online

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Daft Ghosty said:
More and more Mattrick sounds like a drowning man who insists that the water he is drowning in is actually strawberry custard, and that it is very very yummy.
And yet somehow fails to recognize that said water is in fact sewage.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Nope.

Nope nope nope.

Nope.

The day I can't play any game without connecting to the internet is the day I stop playing video games.

On a similar note, since everyone seems to believe "digital is the future", the day I can't buy a physical disk for my consoles anymore is the day I stop playing console games.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
i guess no one has explained to them that tablets and smartphones and computers don't arbitrarily stop working when they don't have internet access?

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
please just.. just stop... everyday I'm hearing another excuse or god knows what and its just getting sad now.

Take your punishment or man up and admit you messed up, honestly I'm not even enjoying watching the train wreck anymore, its just plain pitiful

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Why is it that they never seem to realise that pc's and tablets don't refuse to function if you don't have internet access?

Sure, it's great when you DO have it but it doesn't turn into a brick without a connection. Oh well, more good PR for Sony I guess.

OutcastBOS

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2009

Ya know, for all the shit Microsoft is doing, I'm willing to bet this console will still sell well. It's a sad state of affairs. :(

But I'm not gonna buy something that can fuck me over when my console can't be connected to the internet because my room layout doesn't involve it. What this guy is pretty much calling us idiots over isn't even the problem.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
kypsilon said:
RJ 17 said:
Anyone else get a very strong, spontaneous urge to punch their screen every time they see this picture?
Yes sir, yes I do.

While the DRM and always online crap is always front and center in these things, that's not the only reason people hate the Xbone...the fact that it comes with a camera that's required to watch you play and can't be shut off during play is also what's killing this system.

Funny how they never mention that in the interviews.
What's REALLY nuts is that, from what I hear from my more casual friends, THAT - above all else - is the reason they don't want it...they've heard how creepy the Kinect is going to be and they don't want any part of it. Personally that's always been the deal-breaker for me. I fully understand and agree with the complaints of everyone about the DRM, but my connection is pretty stable so it wouldn't impact me as much as others. But the Kinect is someone unavoidable regardless of your connection stability, and I refuse to let that THING into my house!

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Oh yeah, you mean my smartphone, which regularly struggles to connect to my home wifi, reverting to 3G, or no signal at all; what a great thing to compare the Xbone too.

Although I guess that could just be down to poor signal strength in my flat, I guess I'll have to get a second home; that would certainly be in line with Microsoft's current 'Fuck the Poor' business strategy.

Gray Firion

Mar 5, 2012
Holy shit! They can genuinely not go a single day without putting their feet through their mouths at this point can they? xD

Sigh, I know the will to say something to steer the minds of everyone to that special place you think is real is great: Peter Moore did recently, that guy from DICE talking about Sci-fi did as well, Cliffy B was another and Mike Capps all those years ago too, among many others in nearly every business in the world as well as politics. But at this point, M$'s best defense would be to simply keep its trap shut, since everytime they try to soften the message they sent at E3 they only end up exacerbating it instead.

Here's the key problem with these kinds of speeches: there is no more reason to take any corporate message at face value anymore. Even if it's not apparent, when any group of people is able to see what the problem is with one of these speeches, said people (in this case quite ironically) use the internet to show where exactly the message doesn't match the reality of the world we live in. From there, the rest of the world realises the message itself was plain bullshit to try and mask an ugly truth.

It didn't even take a middleman this time, it was already in the article:

Andy Chalk said:
There's no question that the world has changed but Mattrick's comments miss the mark rather widely. Being connected is great, but being able to function while disconnected is pretty awesome too - and that's something that phones, tablets and PCs will all happily do (minus things like making phone calls or surfing the net, obviously) when they're not connected. They don't just stop working if they go more than a day without phoning home - a mighty difference between the Xbox One and everything else out there.
And when the reality trying to be sold by a PR speech is broken, everyone just gets madder than before due to the intended deception! At this point, it begs the question: why issue one of these speeches in the first place? You're just begging to be bashed again! Geez! x(

Captcha: Skynet knows.

O_O

Huh! So that's why.

Hmm, 'kay. Excuse me, I have some preparations to make.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
The future... is not yours to define, Mr. Mattick. And certainly not yours to restrict. And the speeches about what online connectivity is going to do for "creators" ring rather hollow while Microsoft's attitudes towards independent game creators remain so obstructive and inhibiting.

When "creators" seems to mean "multi-billion dollar studios" and "customers" seems to mean "only people with always-on broadband connections and HD televisions living in one of 21 different countries" and "flexibility" means "designing with the interests of those 'creators' foremost in mind", it's hard not to feel that you're speaking a different language. And asking people to sign a contract that's written in that language.

Yes, the world has changed. Maybe your people should visit it some time. It might be educational.

GladChimer

Jun 17, 2013
Fact is, I had to move to another appartment a few weeks ago and had no online connection for a week, even though everything else was already set up.
If I had an Xbox One, I wouldn't have been able to play that week, and that would have been very unfortunate since that was the last week I could play on a home console before my trip to Germany.

I don't care what the world is doing or how it evolved, I want to play my games.
Comcast isn't very reliable, I've learned, and I am already lagging when playing online because I am using a wireless service even though I have a solid connection that I pay a lot for. How can I possibly trust a console that depends so heavily on being online if I don't even trust the company that provides my internet service?

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Looks to me like the TORtanic is going to have some room at the bottom of the ocean. Good riddance. Let this be a lesson at how not to stick it to consumers.

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
Riiight see my iphone doesn't require an internet connection at all times. i can put it in airplane mode and still do all sorts of things on it, the same goes for tablets. even my computer doesn't need to be online at all times to be useful.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
Ok everyone email and tweet Mattrick a link to this next and everytime he opens his stupid mouth.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
You know, this is what microsoft is really like people. They've been doing this for years with Internet Explorer and their monopoly with the Windows OS. The only reason they aren't getting away with it now is because we got two other console giants in the ring vying for our money, and given Sony has been faithful to what people expect of a console they are likely going to be the ones rolling in the money.

CyberMachinist

Oct 8, 2012
Please.... make this guy stop already... I can't deal with anymore of his Corporate promoting........ I feel like I'm listening to a politician in election month....... just make it stop I've already got a headache.

OT: If he thought always online is the future and we should all have it, then why doesn't he take care of the internet bill for us. If the internet is a mandatory requirement for this thing then why don't we get the connection with the item when we buy it like some full-package deal.

Like everyone else said the things he said in his analogy do indeed use the web for most of its functions, but are they heavily dependent on it? No otherwise these things would have never caught on so well.

Boogie Knight

Oct 17, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Anyone else get a very strong, spontaneous urge to punch their screen every time they see this picture?

I don't know about you guys, but seeing Mattrick's smiling face as he's like "Hello, I'm Don Mattrick, and this is my Fuck The Consumer Box" makes me seriously have to control myself lest I break something I'd immediately regret breaking.

Captcha: "Do Not Touch". HA!
Personally, I see a beardless King Lear. I swear the madness going on in Microsoft and the Xbox One could easily make for a comedy. In the future, old people will tell their children about the console boogeyman called the Xbox One, and how it was vanquished by viable alternatives and consumers laughing at it.

Nadia Castle

May 21, 2012
Microsoft got laughed at for years for desperately clinging to Windows and Office whilst the likes of Google, Amazon and Apple leapfrogged it with online services, app based operating systems and inter connectivity. Now it's like it's parading around in front of us wearing their skinned remains screaming 'YOU LOVED THEM? WELL NOW I'M ONLINE AAAAAAALL THE TIME AND I HAVE TOUCH BASED INTERFACES TOO! LOVE ME AGAIN!! LOOOOOVE MEEEEEE!!!'

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Daystar Clarion said:
Yes, but amazingly, I can still play my PC games when the internet is down.

Funny that, eh?
Mittrick strikes me as the sort who would tell you that you should uproot yourself (and your family, if you have one) and move somewhere else with perfect Internet availability if you want to enjoy anything modern. Because, y'know, apparently the XBox one is worth it... somehow?