Xbox Series X still sucks at Installing

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

This is interesting, and I wonder if we are finally reaching the time in which physical media can't keep up with demands anymore. Despite the solid state drives, there is only so much read speed from a disc that can be done.

Does this mean that physical media lovers are going to be eventually screwed. When everything exists digitally and physical media just can't keep up. I like having a collection myself, I like knowing that even if the servers shutdown, I still have my games to play single player or without network features. But if we are only one more generation from a pure digital game era, it might be time to invest in big harddrives to make them my physical collections.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The last (non-Nintendo) console to play games actually off the disc was the 360 (because not all 360s shipped with HDs). This isn't anything new. The question is if installing the game off the disc is slower than downloading the game. Then, there's tons of people with poor internet, data caps, and all that. I don't think the industry is going to want to lose out on all those sales.

Reactions: gorfias

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The last (non-Nintendo) console to play games actually off the disc was the 360 (because not all 360s shipped with HDs). This isn't anything new. The question is if installing the game off the disc is slower than downloading the game. Then, there's tons of people with poor internet, data caps, and all that. I don't think the industry is going to want to lose out on all those sales.
At least the consoles should have 5g wifi in them this time. So the downloading should be quicker.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
At least the consoles should have 5g wifi in them this time. So the downloading should be quicker.
The download speeds depend on the speeds of the microsoft and sony servers. I don't expect a significant speed increase in those. My download speed on the PS4 was still always slower than the download speeds of all my other devices, even the ones that didn't have 5g wifi because the Sony servers are just slow.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The download speeds depend on the speeds of the microsoft and sony servers. I don't expect a significant speed increase in those. My download speed on the PS4 was still always slower than the download speeds of all my other devices, even the ones that didn't have 5g wifi because the Sony servers are just slow.
With any luck people will demand a speed update because games are too fucking big nowadays

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
With any luck people will demand a speed update because games are too fucking big nowadays
Maybe, but I wouldn't hold my breath. People have been complaining about slow downloads since the PS3/Xbox 360 era.

Actually, I wonder if Sony finally fixed their store. PS3's store was basically unusable with how laggy it was. PS4's store kind of works, but is still pretty terrible. There's times where you'll type in the exact name of a game into the search and it still won't pull it up.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
And also their local internet infrastructure. MS and Sony can have the phattest pipes in the business but that’s no good if all that’s available to poor end user is 1.5Mbps ADSL on copper that was installed after VE Day.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
For the vast majority of people, that's not gonna matter. I live literally walking distance from Chicago city limits and the fastest Internet I can get is up to 600mbps, which is slower than 5G wifi. And like others have said, it depends on the speed limits that come out of the Store's servers as well. Whatever is the slowest speed (from the store server to your console) is your maximum speed obviously.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Disagree my Xbox One is faster in installing than my PS4 Slim.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Disagree my Xbox One is faster in installing than my PS4 Slim.
Disagree with who? What?

Literally no one in this thread was comparing the download speeds of the Xbox and the Playstation against each other.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Disagree with who? What?

Literally no one in this thread was comparing the download speeds of the Xbox and the Playstation against each other.
Well, the title is XBOX SERIES X STILL SUCKS AT INSTALLING, but my counterpoint is that it doesn't suck. Because compared to its' competitor it does pretty good.

Edit: I am assuming.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Well, the title is XBOX SERIES X STILL SUCKS AT INSTALLING, but my counterpoint is that it doesn't suck. Because compared to its' competitor it does pretty good.

Edit: I am assuming.
It does suck, and so does the playstation.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Playstation sucks more tho. But other than that I agree.
Does that matter for the discussion in this thread though? Like why did you feel the need to point it out when literally no one said anything about it and it wasn't a point of discussion?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Does that matter for the discussion in this thread though? Like why did you feel the need to point it out when literally no one said anything about it and it wasn't a point of discussion?
Because some people read titles and skim through threads. I am here to present a clearer picture to consumers.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Because some people read titles and skim through threads. I am here to present a clearer picture to consumers.
What consumers? What the fuck are you talking about?!

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
What consumers? What the fuck are you talking about?!
Anyone, and everyone here who may want to buy a PS4, or Xbox Series X, so everyone here.

I am guessing I pissed you off in a thread somewhere else.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Anyone, and everyone here who may want to buy a PS4, or Xbox Series X, so everyone here.
1603087414880.png

I'm definitely 100% sure someone on these forums is deciding between getting an Xbox Series X and a PS4, because those are definitely comparible systems from the same generation. Yup.