Xbox Used to Max Out Black Ops Selling for Charity

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Xbox Used to Max Out Black Ops Selling for Charity

Machinima.com is auctioning off the Xbox 360 the team used to reach Level 15 prestige in Black Ops and donating the proceeds to Child's Play.

When Call of Duty: Black Ops was released in November, a group of gamers from selling it on Ebay [http://www.machinima.com/about]. So far, the bidding is up to $14,500 and Smith says that he will donate all of the money earned from the auction to Child's Play.

There's only about a day and 4 hours left on the auction. If you want to grab a neat videogame artifact, as well as the official Astro Gaming headset that was used by the players during the event, you better head over to the auction page now and drop down a bid [http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270677366061&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_1156].

Hey, if you have a spare $15 grand, why not pick up a Publisher's Club subscription here at The Escapist for only $20 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/subscription/]? Right now, we're donating half of the proceeds of each subscription to the same charity as Machinima's custom Xbox. It all goes to benefit Child's Play, which provides children's hospitals with games and consoles to ease the medical treatment for kids all over the world.

With the holidays ringing bells on every street corner, what better time is there to help kids play some games?

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Who would pay $14.500 for just an xbox.

Even if it is signed, it is still a bit ridiculous...

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
C95J said:

I'm fairly sure they're not paying to get the Xbox or the signatures.

OT: The livesteam was really cool and it's really nice they're doing this. And, hell, 14 thousand to charity is great.

Randomspike

Pinball Wizard
Oct 12, 2010
C95J said:

People are generally willing to spend more money if the proceeds are going to charity.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
While this is a nice donation to be making to a highly worthy cause, I can't help but feel that the money is a bit misplaced. Perhaps half could go to Child's Play, and the other half directly to cancer research?

Child's Play is an amazing organization, but I can't shake the feeling that some of the money could be placed somewhere more helpful.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Salmaras said:
Maybe but hey, it's for charity
The Random Paradox said:
People are generally willing to spend more money if the proceeds are going to charity.
JourneyThroughHell said:
And, hell, 14 thousand to charity is great.
yeah, so in the end it's all good :D

Also, I think 3 quotes instantaneously in less than a minute is a new record!

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Aaaah Child's Play. A scary looking movie A charity around videogames, I'd donate but something's pulling me back.

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
Greg Tito said:
...see the dedication in their glazed over eyes.
Dedication in playing a game continuously, and these guys are being revered for it.

Donating to charity is great, but why are these guys constantly being praised for doing something that is of no significance or importance to anything? (Other than the donation itself) You just keep hearing, 'A dedicated group of guys from Machina.com has performed an astonishingly ground breaking feat by playing a game console for a very very long period of time.' And its insane, donating to charity is good, but why should they always be so heavily praised for the act of just playing the xbox they are selling?

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
Well, sadly, I already have an Xbox... and not 15 grand... and didn't watch the stream... anyway, hope they do well.

[small]Also, I like the little pimping you did for the Pub club there. Made me laugh a little[/small]

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
IBlackKiteI said:
Greg Tito said:
...see the dedication in their glazed over eyes.
Dedication in playing a game continuously, and these guys are being revered for it.

Donating to charity is great, but why are these guys constantly being praised for doing something that is of no significance or importance to anything? (Other than the donation itself) You just keep hearing, 'A dedicated group of guys from Machina.com has performed an astonishingly ground breaking feat by playing a game console for a very very long period of time.' And its insane, donating to charity is good, but why should they always be so heavily praised for the act of just playing the xbox they are selling?
They're being honoured for coming up with a cool idea to raise money for a worthy cause, and playing a game well passed the point where its "fun". Its kinda like a marathon that makes you less fit. And yeah, playing it has no real significance but the 14k definately will

Mauricio Guerra

Jul 11, 2010
I'm always one to donate to charity, and in fact have given to Child's Play before. But I'd want something a little more unique or "kitchy" than a broken 360 with signatures of people I don't even know all over it.
Trust me, I don't care how well-ventilated that system was, having it on non-stop like that is a sure way to shorten its lifespan.
Call me selfish, but I'd like something more than red-ringed paperweight for my $15 grand.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Salmaras said:
C95J said:

Maybe I'm just a hateful person, but I really don't care where the money's going (provided it's not going to serial killers, dictatorships or terrorists where it might come back and bite me in the ass), it's still overpriced.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
archvile93 said:
Salmaras said:
C95J said:

Maybe I'm just a hateful person, but I really don't care where the money's going (provided it's not going to serial killers, dictatorships or terrorists where it might come back and bite me in the ass), it's still overpriced.
It's definitely overpriced, considering that most people can't afford to spare 14 grand, but for someone who can, it's not so big a deal.