XCOM 2 DLC Shen's Last Gift Launches with New Trailer

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
XCOM 2 DLC Shen's Last Gift Launches with New Trailer

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1333/1333292.jpgThe newest DLC for XCOM 2 brings mechs to your team.

Shen's Last Gift is the latest DLC for XCOM 2. In this add-on, XCOM has discovered a hidden ADVENT facility. Chief Engineer Lil Shen is going to accompany your squad to investigate the facility and try to recover any alien tech you may find.

Information is thin, but you do know two things going in:

The ADVENT test facility in question is housed within multiple skyscrapers, linked together by enclosed bridges.
The ADVENT MECs are based on a single prototype unit, which we believe to be somewhere within this ADVENT facility.

The new DLC will let you build sentient robots that will fight for you, and can even be used as cover by your soldiers. They can smash through walls, ignore mind control attempts, and even use jet thrusters to climb buildings. In short, they're kind of awesome.

If you're ready to get busy building your robot army, you can grab Shen's Last Gift for $9.99. If you've already purchased the Reinforcement Pack (XCOM's Season Pass), 2K reminds you to NOT purchase this DLC separately, as you'll be charged for it.

[gallery=6318]

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I have completed the base game but I am waiting for all the DLC to drop before playing it all, so it will feel like a brand new game. So, I haven't even attempted the "boss" aliens yet or even seen the customisation from the anarchy DLC.

So, I am very much looking forward to doing it all!

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Solkard said:
Alright! *cuts off arms and legs* Wait, what? AI controlled? aww....
i remember in x-com sending a recruit for mec training and realising oops that means they loose their arms and legs.. always felt guilty about that

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I can see why those were the MEC prototypes. Because they aren't mechs at all, they're just robots.

Wait a minute... were the MEC units in the previous game mechs at all?! I guess not, since they weren't piloted.

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
loa said:
So they cut out shivs and now sell that as DLC. Neat.
No silly, they cut out the look and animations of a MEC and the useful features of a SHIV, then slapped them together in an amalgamate unit that totally doesn't seem like a blatant slap in the face to anyone who got to use both for free in the base game of Enemy Within!

Seriously, with Enemy Unknown, EW really felt like an expansion. The DLC for XCOM 2 so far feels more akin to the DLC that The Bureau: XCOM Declassified got... and that had a plasma pistol, a ten minute mission, and a horde mode disguised as "another side, another story."

GARforGunman

Dec 12, 2010
Okay, I haven't been too keen on XCOM 2's DLC so. The game was promoted as a desperate guerrilla resistance, but all the customization options Anarchy's Children and Alien Hunters gave us have kinda betrayed that image. It's hard to take the game's setting and stakes seriously when my troopers can wear clown face paint and short-shorts while infiltrating alien laboratories. Those are the kind of aesthetic-breaking options I expected from modders, not official DLC.

That said, I am eager to see what these not-MEC units are capable of. If they bring back beating down Sectopods down with mechanical fists, I'll be happy.

Another thing I'd be curious to see is how Firaxis will handle a full-formed expansion pack for XCOM 2. They've already given us new in-game gear and classes similar to Enemy Within. Maybe they should go the route of a post-ending mini-campaign. It would be a great way to answer a lot of the more vague questions still surrounding the normal ending (i.e. why the alien invasion in this game is radically different from the first game, why was the commander so important to the Ethereals in the first place.)

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
GARforGunman said:
(i.e. why the alien invasion in this game is radically different from the first game, why was the commander so important to the Ethereals in the first place.)
I'm not sure what you actually mean by the first question but the second one is either spelled out or at least heavily implied: because you were proving to be effective against them. And the Ethereals weren't used to species mounting any kind of effective resistance against their coming.

The whole background to the start of XCOM2 is that you lost the last war relatively early on, but its implied you were doing relatively well until that happened. XCOM was the only real source of effective resistance against the aliens. In the original game the aliens just try to ignore and work around your efforts, which doesn't work out too well for them. In XCOM2 as a 'divergent timeline' the aliens decided to deal with the XCOM problem once and for all, found out where your base was and hit it early to wipe out your organisation. In the process you get captured; because its your leadership that was giving them such issues. So they wanted to try to make use of that intellect themselves.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
pookie101 said:
i remember in x-com sending a recruit for mec training and realising oops that means they loose their arms and legs.. always felt guilty about that
Honestly, I would feel more sorry for the people whose brains you were cutting up to create psionics. The mech troopers were clearly capable of functioning normally with prosthetics, but there's actually a conversation where the team decides not to tell the psionics about the serious long term consequences of what they're doing to them.

..what I took away from that is that after the war most of them are going to end up drooling away in a psych ward.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
I just noticed this was downloading to my Steam and thought "Awesome!"....right up until I saw the bipedal Johnny Five design of the new MEC. I'll still play it, but yeeessh! Somebody quickly mod in a replacement head for that thing so it doesn't look like the world's derpiest murderbot!

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I'm sorry, but that looks like Wall-E's buffed brother. Seriously, that's just derpy looking. The DLC for XCOM2 has been quite a letdown so far, and this doesn't feel like it'll change my mind...

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Just to confirm, you can costumise your MECs. There are 2 goofy heads, the one you see in the trailer and one with a glowy red Geordi Laforge head band.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
So they're adding content and making DLC from Enemy within? stay classy Fraxis.