XCOM 2's been delayed; what're you gonna be playing instead until 2016?

chimeracreator

Jun 15, 2009
While I dislike waiting I hate incomplete games that are rushed out the door far more. So more power to them spending the time to get it right.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I was going to be in the middle of especially brutal coursework, so this doesn't change much for me. :/

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Well first will be MGSV:TPP and then Halo 5.

After that it'll be toss up between Tales of Zesteria and Fallout 4.

To be honest i don't know whether to be disappointing or thankful. On one hand I have to wait longer for XCOM, but on the other hand it makes deciding what game to buy in November much easier.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
mysecondlife said:
Valkyria Chronicles? I bought cheap few months ago and I hear its pretty alright.

Zhukov said:
[....if you dipped XCOM in a nigh on insufferable anime.
That bad?
Yeah. That bad.

If you're an anime fan or someone who plays a lot of anime-ish Japanese games then you'll at least know what you're in for. If not, well, brace yourself.

The actual gameplay is pretty decent, once you get past the hand-holding tutorial phase, but there's at least a 1/1 ratio of gameplay to cutscene and dialogue shenanigans, if not worse. At least the voice acting is serviceable.

If you've already bought it then by all means give it go, but just... temper your expectations.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Zhukov said:
mysecondlife said:
Valkyria Chronicles? I bought cheap few months ago and I hear its pretty alright.

Zhukov said:
That bad?
Yeah. That bad.

If you're an anime fan or someone who plays a lot of anime-ish Japanese games then you'll at least know what you're in for. If not, well, brace yourself.

The actual gameplay is pretty decent, once you get past the hand-holding tutorial phase, but there's at least a 1/1 ratio of gameplay to cutscene and dialogue shenanigans, if not worse. At least the voice acting is serviceable.

If you've already bought it then by all means give it go, but just... temper your expectations.
I knew it would have an anime visual (with neat water coloring at that). I just didn't think it would have those anime shenanigans that seems like it would be out-of-place for WW2 setting.

Anyhow, thanks for the heads up.

As for you.. you could always go back to XCOM 1.. or go with Civilization V..

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
Cry

Probably just replay XCom: EU for a while in anticipation, should cure the itch for a while. Otherwise Valkyria Chronicles.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
Yah!

Sorry PC peeps but that just gives me a longer time period to gather the money to play my most favorite game ever from last generation. 2K ripped that series away from my console hands (which I certainly don't blame them for but still D:) so now I need to figure out how I can make this computer I'm on become a XCOM 2 machine...
I don't know what computer you have but I don't think XCOM 2 would be too hardware demanding to run.. XCOM plays on ipad doesn't it?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
mysecondlife said:
tippy2k2 said:
Yah!

Sorry PC peeps but that just gives me a longer time period to gather the money to play my most favorite game ever from last generation. 2K ripped that series away from my console hands (which I certainly don't blame them for but still D:) so now I need to figure out how I can make this computer I'm on become a XCOM 2 machine...
I don't know what computer you have but I don't think XCOM 2 would be too hardware demanding to run.. XCOM plays on ipad doesn't it?
Then iPads are more powerful than my computer because the XCOM wouldn't even get to the Title Screen on my computer before crashing

:,(

Sep 14, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
mysecondlife said:
tippy2k2 said:
Yah!

Then iPads are more powerful than my computer because the XCOM wouldn't even get to the Title Screen on my computer before crashing

:,(

what the hell does your computer run on, hamster wheels and rocks? You either got severely ripped off last time you bought your computer or that thing is ancient.

For the love of god...upgrade immediately, your body is ready.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
bliebblob said:
Delayed? Nawww. :( Oh well. *whips out the wish list*

Satellite reign
Invisible Inc.
Shadowrun returns
Shadowrun dragonfall
Shadowrun Hong Kong
Shadowrun chronicles: Boston lockdown
Valkyria chronicles
Mordheim: city of the damned
Warmachine tactics
Blood bowl 2
Renowned explorers
Duelyst
Darkest dungeon
There came an echo

And those are just the ones bearing a degree of resemblance to XCOM. (I figure those would have the best chance of being of interest to others in this thread.) So yeah, I'll probably find a way to tide myself over a couple more months. :p

Off-topic: Oooh, an infinity player eh? It'd be my game of choice if I'd get into a miniatures game, for much the same reason you stated. But its player base in my country appears nigh non-existent, so that horse basically died on the starting line. :7
I'd skip Shadowrun Chronicles: Bostone Lockdown if I were you, I bought on deep discount and I felt ripped off!

MrOmNomNom3

Aug 9, 2013
What I normally play I guess.
Which is The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Airmech Arena
FC4
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Whatever I buy on PC or PS4 and whatever comes up on the PS+ free games lineup that I can play on PS4.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Wuvlycuddles said:
I'd skip Shadowrun Chronicles: Bostone Lockdown if I were you, I bought on deep discount and I felt ripped off!
Ah, interesting. And was that during early access or after? Because I do remember reviews being abysmal back then. But they have since swung back to "mostly positive", so I figured I shouldn't fully write it off just yet?

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
bliebblob said:
Ah, interesting. And was that during early access or after? Because I do remember reviews being abysmal back then. But they have since swung back to "mostly positive", so I figured I shouldn't fully write it off just yet?
It was after, but then I did play after completing Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall and they are far far better games. It's inferior in almost every regard and the multiplayer aspect doesn't add anything to the gameplay.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zhukov said:
mysecondlife said:

Zhukov said:
That bad?
Yeah. That bad.

The games I played didn't prepare me for it. I play JRPGs all the time and it was INSUFFERABLE to me.

I can't pin down why. Maybe it's because it's basically babeh's first WW II game, maybe it's because the way they handle racism is so painfully simple, maybe it's because I had a moment where I say a soldier who was gay, thought it'd be cool to have him be in my unit only to have him scream "HELLO SAILOR!" and I groaned 'Of...course." maybe it's because it tries to do the War is Hell thing but can't fucking commit to it (Not to mention Wolfenstein the New Order, This War of Mine, Spec Ops the Line and Valiant Hearts all did it and all did it BETTER), maybe it's because it tries to do the Grey and Gray morality thing by having both of the big nations be morally questionable, except the way the make the not!Allies evil is really fucking forced and for all intents and purposes, the bad guys are Nazis. I don't care if they have a more Russian inspiration, they're playing the role of fucking Nazis, and I don't consider humanizing them to have one scene where they treat one soldier and one general is thankful before they go back to mowing them down countless. Maybe it's because the main character outranks the more experienced female lead because protagonist and I TOTES WENT TO OFFICER SCHOOL OFF SCREEN AND IT'S NEVER MENTIONED IN GAME BUT IT HAPPENED! Maybe it's because how the pacifistic nation has conscription making it seem hypocritical, maybe it's how the protagonist says "Gotta love the smell of nature" while driving a tank towards enemy lines makes him sound like a psychopath, maybe it's because the old man at the graveyard feels like he should be in a game that takes itself more seriously, maybe its how some of the characters seem a little too fucking quirky for people who live in a nation that is under attack by a vastly superior foe, maybe it's how apparently the female lead has to have a man reign in her emotions to keep her from destroying everyone.

I don't know, but as someone who really likes JRPGs and even serious situations with a lot of zanny humor (SMT has the world usually at stake, but also demons that talk like stereotypical punks) I can't STAND Valkyria Chronicles.

Also the gameplay is kinda shit too. Massive downgrade from XCOM. RNG to see if you can get your shots in a system where you manually aim just doesn't fit and the game feels too loose compared to the well structured XCOM.

OT: Oh right. I've got a pretty big backlog of games to get through, so I'll work on that. Pheonix Wright, Shadowrun, Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army, Dark Souls II Scholar of the First Sin, The World Ends With You, I'll be able to hold out. Plus Fallout 4

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Wuvlycuddles said:
It was after, but then I did play after completing Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall and they are far far better games. It's inferior in almost every regard and the multiplayer aspect doesn't add anything to the gameplay.
Do you think you'd have liked it better if the harebrained schemes games didn't exist?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
erttheking said:
Maybe it's because how the pacifistic nation has conscription making it seem hypocritical...
I more-or-less agree with everything else you said, but this part actually makes a degree of sense.

The Gallians aren't pacifist. They have a standing army and an arms industry. They're just non-aggressive, maybe neutral, although they have fought in previous wars. (Several of your squad are veterans.)

The real nation of Switzerland, which maintains strict neutrality, actually has a conscription policy somewhat similar to the Gallians in the game with nearly everyone serving in a national militia. Given the many other similarities, I suspect that was the inspiration.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zhukov said:
erttheking said:
Maybe it's because how the pacifistic nation has conscription making it seem hypocritical...
I more-or-less agree with everything else you said, but this part actually makes a degree of sense.

The Gallians aren't pacifist. They have a standing army and an arms industry. They're just non-aggressive, maybe neutral, although they have fought in previous wars. (Several of your squad are veterans.)

The real nation of Switzerland, which maintains strict neutrality, actually has a conscription policy somewhat similar to the Gallians in the game with nearly everyone serving in a national militia. Given the many other similarities, I suspect that was the inspiration.
I thought about Switzerland, but if this place was supposed to be a fictional Switzerland, they dropped the ball. Switzerland has natural formations that make the country hard to invade, Conscription is mandatory and retired soldiers keep their assault rifles, every bridge is rigged to blow and there are enough bunkers for around four fifths of the nation's population. Also their idea of neutrality was to hold the border, shoot anyone who comes near it, but don't pursue beyond it, maintaining the border and actually being neutral. None of which is present with the in game nation

The in game nation feels like it's trying to have its cake and eat it too. It's supposed to be a peaceful and lovely place, but they throw out conscription without too much hesitation. They don't want to get caught up in the war, but they then launch attacks on the Empire that go far beyond just protecting their boarders and considered allying with the Federation and only backed out after being stabbed in the back. There's also the fact that despite having a standing military and a milita of nearly the entire population, their borders seem undefended apart from a handful of soldiers with no anti-tank weapons so protagonist can save the day with the super advanced tank HE KEEPS IN HIS GARAGE! It's the classic misstep of wanting the nation to be vulnerable to the attack and be the underdog, yet still have enough power to push a superpower back.

It's not the concept I'm against. It's the horribly horribly HORRIBLY botched execution.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
mysecondlife said:
Zhukov said:
mysecondlife said:

Zhukov said:
That bad?
Yeah. That bad.

I knew it would have an anime visual (with neat water coloring at that). I just didn't think it would have those anime shenanigans that seems like it would be out-of-place for WW2 setting.

Anyhow, thanks for the heads up.

As for you.. you could always go back to XCOM 1.. or go with Civilization V..
I got the game a while ago, to be honest the anime shennanigans are pretty low key compared to some games I've played. The characters/soldiers are where it'll stand out as you have about every anime stereotype available to choose from, with big gruff talk no more than 3 words per sentence muscle man, to flamboyant gay guy with hay fever. I'd say the game is totally worth with the 40 hours I put into it. I went into the game expecting it to be "animebullshit" but I came out rather happy with it, with good gameplay and story (if a bit on the melodramatic side).

On topic, I'm glad it's delayed. Though I hope on release that it's in a damn good state because now they have little excuse for game breaking bugs.