XCom "Deep Dive" Reveals Deep Tactics and Snazzy Eye-Candy

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
M0rp43vs said:
I may have squealed like a giddy school girl watching this. How they're handling Base building and glam cam are pretty clever ways of reinvigorating and adding more style to the turn based genre. Though just wait for the people to cry out about time units being simplified or it coming on consoles as well.

All in all, I can't wait for it to come out. I'd play the original game on steam to pass the time till it comes but I can't figure out why the colours are all freaky and 5 seconds time whizz by so quickly
What people forget or ignore, is the fact that the first game was available for consoles and it was pretty much identical to it's PC version brother (judging from screenshots and videos anyways).

I'm a newcomer to the series, I bought the first two games in a Steam sale many moons ago and I just can't get into them, I'll eventually will, but as it is, it's an overwhelming amount of information one needs to know to just start playing the game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for complexity for video games, I love the Civilization series, because Civ 4 had a great tutorial and I can play Civ 3 without much trouble, also Civ 5 is very noob friendly. I'm very confident that Firaxis will get this game right for both the newcomers and veterans alike.

Bantis

Jan 27, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
I'm very confident that Firaxis will get this game right for both the newcomers and veterans alike.
Yeah, it's the Firaxis part of that line that has me pumped. I'd be pretty skeptical were it most other dev houses in this day and age. But this type of game with that type of studio pretty much puts this in must-buy territory for me.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Now that...
THAT IS FUCKING X-COM.

I so rarely say this, but I am genuinely impressed at how clean and clear everything looks and works in that video. It looks like X-COM, it looks like it PLAYS like X-COM, and the "Ant-Farm" base is a pretty smart way to balance menus and base layout while keeping the atmosphere.

Great mechanical design, clean visuals, tactical environmental interaction...that is what I've been missing. Definitely better than another quick cash-in shooter with an old name.

Pariahwulfen

Mar 23, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
M0rp43vs said:
I may have squealed like a giddy school girl watching this. How they're handling Base building and glam cam are pretty clever ways of reinvigorating and adding more style to the turn based genre. Though just wait for the people to cry out about time units being simplified or it coming on consoles as well.

All in all, I can't wait for it to come out. I'd play the original game on steam to pass the time till it comes but I can't figure out why the colours are all freaky and 5 seconds time whizz by so quickly
What people forget or ignore, is the fact that the first game was available for consoles and it was pretty much identical to it's PC version brother (judging from screenshots and videos anyways).

I'm a newcomer to the series, I bought the first two games in a Steam sale many moons ago and I just can't get into them, I'll eventually will, but as it is, it's an overwhelming amount of information one needs to know to just start playing the game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for complexity for video games, I love the Civilization series, because Civ 4 had a great tutorial and I can play Civ 3 without much trouble, also Civ 5 is very noob friendly. I'm very confident that Firaxis will get this game right for both the newcomers and veterans alike.
Yes, enemy unknown was released on the PSX, but only after TFTD was released for IBM compatible PCs. Which means it is this thing called a port. Also, as someone who has played both versions, the PSX did NOT play nearly as well as it did on PC, mostly due to control issues, and an ability to fill a memory card with a single save half way through the game.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Looks... so... cool...

I don't think one should underestimate the graphical overhaul. It can add a lot to the feeling of suspense, and I really like the style they are going for.

I'm still a bit worried about the AI. It's typically what makes or breaks a tactical game. Apocalypse and Aftershock/Aftermath could have been great remakes but ended up meh because of the AI.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
[sub]My god...[/sub]

I think they actually "GET" it...

I feel like crying. THEY'VE ACTUALLY UNDERSTOOD IT!!!! THEY SEEM TO KNOW!!! DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG WE'VE WAITED?!!!!11111!!!!!

[sub]Please don't change it now. PLEASE.[/sub]
Yeah I got this feeling.

This feeling in places.

I need to try and calm myself down.

These guys were so humble in that video? They didn't do much hyping.

It was all me, I was watching it and was like "YESSSSSSSSS" but they were so relaxed and just talking about it.

Goddamnit...don't SPORE me...please don't.

Giftmacher

Jul 22, 2008
Bostur said:
I'm still a bit worried about the AI. It's typically what makes or breaks a tactical game. Apocalypse and Aftershock/Aftermath could have been great remakes but ended up meh because of the AI.
And the bugs, don't forget the bugs.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
SupahGamuh said:
I know that. I found that out a while back.It's just you get whiners who complain about consoles ruining PC exclusives any time a game on PC also has a console release.

I'm also a relative newcomer to the series too. Before I decided to play I watched let's plays off on youtube(Kickosia's[sic] LP is a personal fav. He doesn't care if he makes mistakes or not and doesn't reload after them. A bit like watching a normal player play. Only watch if you have a tolerance for really bad moves or a taste for schadenfreude.)

Also, I'm having trouble getting into the series because my steam version makes time in the game go so fast.("Oh look a terror mission- Oh wait it's ove- Hey a UFO scou- oh nevermind, it's go-Is that a Battleship?") I have got to fix that some how

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
M0rp43vs said:
SupahGamuh said:
I know that. I found that out a while back.It's just you get whiners who complain about consoles ruining PC exclusives any time a game on PC also has a console release.

I'm also a relative newcomer to the series too. Before I decided to play I watched let's plays off on youtube(Kickosia's[sic] LP is a personal fav. He doesn't care if he makes mistakes or not and doesn't reload after them. A bit like watching a normal player play. Only watch if you have a tolerance for really bad moves or a taste for schadenfreude.)

Also, I'm having trouble getting into the series because my steam version makes time in the game go so fast.("Oh look a terror mission- Oh wait it's ove- Hey a UFO scou- oh nevermind, it's go-Is that a Battleship?") I have got to fix that some how
This is because games were designed to run very differently than they do now-- they're pegged to the clock speed of the processor. A program called DosBox can be installed to remove 90%+ of the cycles per second, slowing the game down enough to actually play. I didn't realize the steam version had this problem. I do not know if the steam version can be run inside dosbox.

When you shoot your guns in the battle map, i bet the animation happens faster than actual bullets ;)