XCom: Enemy Unknown Designer Hopes to "Honor" the Original

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
XCom: Enemy Unknown Designer Hopes to "Honor" the Original

XCom: Enemy Unknown Lead Designer Jake Solomon says the game will feature permadeath, a "classic" difficult mode, strategic base building and even the gentle touch of Sid Meier himself.

For old-time Plants vs. Zombies [http://www.amazon.com/X-COM-UFO-Defense-PC/dp/B00069WBKM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1330633412&sr=8-5] from outer space. But according to Jake Solomon, the lead designer on the project, there's nothing to fear.

It's not a physics-based game so entire buildings can't be brought down, but walls and environmental "scenery items" will be destructible. At the easiest difficulty the game will "do its best to make sure you don't fail," but soldiers killed in combat will stay dead and the highest difficulty level, called "Classic," will apparently be very difficult indeed. Base activities, like research and scanning for UFOs, will still happen in real-time, but in one notable change the tactical combat sequences will not be based on time units.

"Time units are a great mechanic, but the player spends too much time thinking about that system," Solomon told PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/02/29/everything-you-need-to-know-about-xcom-enemy-unknown/]. "We want to add so much to XCom - classes, perks, a ton of new weapons and a cover system and new mission objectives - and you cannot add that much stuff without making sure everything in there is carrying its weight."

And while the original X-Com creators are not involved in the project, Firaxis Creative Director Sid Meier, who knows a thing or two about making strategy games, has his finger on the pulse. "He and I interact on an almost daily basis," Solomon said. "I say 'Look, I have this problem. What do you think I should do?' and he's a very gifted designer. He can look at a situation and he can say, 'Have you tried this?' And I'll be like, 'Oh, that's really good.' I claim all the credit for it, but I rely on him so much. I'm now to the point where I can basically hear his voice in my head, which is probably not healthy. He tells me to hurt people."

XCom: Enemy Unknown [http://www.amazon.com/XCOM-Enemy-Pc/dp/B006WQR3OM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330633382&sr=8-1] is due out later this year for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
"Time units are a great mechanic, but the player spends too much time thinking about that system," Solomon told PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/02/29/everything-you-need-to-know-about-xcom-enemy-unknown/].
Is there such a thing as "too much time thinking" in a (turn based) strategy game?

I don't know about other X-Com fans, but I enjoyed taking time to plan out my move, making the most efficient use of time units and striking a fine balance between using the time units to their full potential per turn and effective troop placement with reserved units for potential reactions.

I hope I'm wrong, but that quoted statement seems to me like Solomon is missing the point of a lot of the appeal of the original X-Com games.

Pyrignis

May 31, 2010
I think this game is going to be the "Fallout 3" of the franchise. It'll be a good game and it's going to be hugely popular. The changes are great for all the new people playing it. But the hardcore fans will be disappointed to say the least.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Awesome I love me some turn based goodness! It sounds like he at least understands some of what we liked about the Original.

Pity the Gollop brothers coulsnt be involved somehow but cannot have eveything I suppose

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
I hope hardcore fans realize that there is no evidence that a game made purely for them will be successful enough.
An influx of new players could mean better sales and show that lower budget strategy games can bring in good money in the current market and cause a healthy revitalisation of the genre.
This game will be important if this game becomes a bestseller the worth of isometric 3d games will be proven and we might see more old franchises follow suit.
If it fails it could kill big name developers and publisher interest in the genre.

I think this is gonna pull a tribes:ascend The dev's realized there were not enough hardcore tribes players to sustain a hardcore tribes fps.
But they did realize there were enough hardcore PC gamers to sustain a hardcore pc fps and went that way and their game is now known by almost every pc gamer worth their salt.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So is this turn based combat or not? I'm hoping its turn based since doing it real time is hard since it needs either a good ai or just one guy will be doing most of the killing.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
Worgen said:
So is this turn based combat or not? I'm hoping its turn based since doing it real time is hard since it needs either a good ai or just one guy will be doing most of the killing.
Turn-based, just without TUs. As I recall, each unit gets a move phase and an action phase each turn.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
Jamash said:
"Time units are a great mechanic, but the player spends too much time thinking about that system," Solomon told PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/02/29/everything-you-need-to-know-about-xcom-enemy-unknown/].
Is there such a thing as "too much time thinking" in a (turn based) strategy game?

I don't know about other X-Com fans, but I enjoyed taking time to plan out my move, making the most efficient use of time units and striking a fine balance between using the time units to their full potential per turn and effective troop placement with reserved units for potential reactions.

I hope I'm wrong, but that quoted statement seems to me like Solomon is missing the point of a lot of the appeal of the original X-Com games.
I believe he's referring more to players thinking about the time unit system, and not that they have too much time within the turn to make decisions.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
rolfwesselius said:
I hope hardcore fans realize that there is no evidence that a game made purely for them will be successful enough.
An influx of new players could mean better sales and show that lower budget strategy games can bring in good money in the current market and cause a healthy revitalisation of the genre.
This game will be important if this game becomes a bestseller the worth of isometric 3d games will be proven and we might see more old franchises follow suit.
If it fails it could kill big name developers and publisher interest in the genre.

I think this is gonna pull a tribes:ascend The dev's realized there were not enough hardcore tribes players to sustain a hardcore tribes fps.
But they did realize there were enough hardcore PC gamers to sustain a hardcore pc fps and went that way and their game is now known by almost every pc gamer worth their salt.
I's agree with this, I hope it will pull in enough original xcom fans, enough TBS fans and enough people intrigued by the FPS xcom to make it a success... only if its good though. If its rubbish then I'll be ticked.

but I have faith in Firaxis

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I hope they split it like the move/attack split of D&D 3rd edition. In one round you had both a move action and an attack action. You could give up your attack action to move further but would take penalties to avoiding enemy attacks to simulate an all out sprint. You could also make a full attack potentially attacking multiple times or making a special attack but you couldn't move beyond a little.

It was a system that worked really well in the pnp game and I think it would translate to turn based strategy.

Snap shot and overwatch snap shot could be standard actions, aimed shots and overwatch moved shots would be full actions. So if you took an aimed shot you could move 1 hex, but if you took a snap shot you could move at your full rate, or you could move double but any enemy would have a bonus to hitting you.

One of the really nice concepts I saw in Magic the Gathering Tactics is "zones of control". Each unit controls a 1 square radius and any enemy entering those squares has to stop movement. Something like that makes "tank" units useful because the enemy can't just run past them to your squishies.

I'm super excited for this release. What would really sell me is if they had hotseat or network co-op play.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
This sounds awesome, I hope classic is really like classic with a new paint coat, we shall see.

Although I can't say I miss time units.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
But, but but, X-Com had a cover sytem. Crouch behind a stone wall, stand around the corner, hide behind a tree, that is all X-Com needs, lines of sight and physical barriers. On the plus side it sounds like you will be able to knock out all the ground floor walls and still have a structure still standing just like the original. It just wouldn't be X-Com without permadeath though, that is absolute.

rembrandtqeinstein said:
snipo

I'm super excited for this release. What would really sell me is if they had hotseat or network co-op play.
Hotseat would be great, as would play by mail like Frozen Synapse or Laser Squad Nemesis. I'm not sure how network co-op would work. Timed turns to keep it moving forward?

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
Sorry, but this game has been in development so long, and back to the drawing board more than once, I have no faith that it will hold up to the original.

The only thing it has in common is in name only.

I'm afraid it's just gonna suck.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Oh god, please don't mess it up. Please.
My thoughts.

Albeit it is weird to hear the people who made Civilization saying they don't want folks "thinking too much".

>_>.

10 bucks says I'll like it. I have an incredibly low threshold for being entertained. Which is probably why I'm so harsh when a game bores me.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I'm surprised nobody has actually remarked on the last part of the article.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
weirdguy said:
I'm surprised nobody has actually remarked on the last part of the article.
That NO ONE that worked on the original is working on it, or that it's going to come out to consoles. Oh, I can hear the gnashing of teeth now. They are coming.......[small]run![/small]

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
octafish said:
But, but but, X-Com had a cover sytem. Crouch behind a stone wall, stand around the corner, hide behind a tree, that is all X-Com needs, lines of sight and physical barriers.
I agree some kind of Gears of War cover system being shoe horned into the game would be silly. That being said a Company of Heroes/Dawn of War cover system would be useful. Differentiating between soft cover and hard cover would add a new tactical level to the game that the original didn't have.