XCOM: Enemy Within Preview - The Human Threat of EXALT

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
XCOM: Enemy Within Preview - The Human Threat of EXALT

It?s not all alien bad guys in XCOM anymore.

Read Full Article

Bindal

May 14, 2012
So, we got evil aliens, evil humans (EXALT) and good humans (XCOM). So, am I the only one thinking that we could need a few friendly aliens now, either playable unit type or an indiependent faction like the Council?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
"EXALT is in a country you can play in Civ V" Oh, well THAT narrows it down.

In all seriousness this actually does sound like a neat idea. The idea of evil Humans is pretty cool, especially if they're going to start upgrading themselves with alien tech too.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
I'm not a vet of the original games, but they are on my to-do list. I had an utter blast playing EU last year but have been looking back on it less fondly since. I hope this'll turn out well and I can get back into it. If not.. well there's other games to play to scratch that particular itch. Looking interesting, still.

edit:
MarsAtlas said:
Is it me, or do the EXALT guys "uniforms" remind you of The Bureau? Could be either a tie-in to that game, or maybe a subtle jab. Or just coincidence, but that'd be boring.
Yes, that thought hit me straight away. I wonder if it's an admission that they think Bureau is a bit shit and therefore there's something cathartic about having the lookey-likies slaughtered by the EW-playing crowd.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
I dont need it I am in class ...I dont need it I have classes...I dont need it....I NEED IT.

Goddamit.
Curse you XCOM for making me spend more time on you then i will on school!

Oh well.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
MarsAtlas said:
Is it me, or do the EXALT guys "uniforms" remind you of The Bureau? Could be either a tie-in to that game, or maybe a subtle jab. Or just coincidence, but that'd be boring.
I hope for a tie in - it would probably make for an interesting idea.

MarsAtlas said:
There was an achievement listed that all but straight out says "there's going to be base defense missions", so that'll make a return, only question is whether it'll be against aliens, humans, or both.
The recently released trailer makes it pretty clear that it's against the EXALT.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
So the way to shake things up is a stereotypical evil organization...

Guess I'll have to see it to make a solid judgement but all I can imagine it ending up as is a quite boring "We should rule the world because reasons" side plot.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
1337mokro said:
So the way to shake things up is a stereotypical evil organization...

Guess I'll have to see it to make a solid judgement but all I can imagine it ending up as is a quite boring "We should rule the world because reasons" side plot.
I'm a bit disappointed as well
I was expecting humans vs. humans combat, but with a bit more questionable morale
For example aliens manipulating some peace proposing politician that plays on public and claims that it is possible to negotiate with aliens and X-Com project is the main reason of alien aggression, thus if countries disbands X-Com project cooperation will begin.
We know it this is BS, but there are plenty of politicians who may think this is truth.
So what to do? Ignore him and risk loosing country (because this condition would add constant 1-2 points to country panic level) or send black ops team (no insignias and limited only to basic armor/weapons) and silence this politician?
What if mission goes catastrophically wrong? How justified is bloodbath to save your troops.
1.Team approaches target location
2.As soon as firefight with bodyguards begin, there are couple turns to assassinate target and leave area
3.After couple turns special task police forces approach the combat zone, and now your team needs to combat them as well
4.All this happens while target tries to escape behind police line.
5.If target escapes, country goes on level 5 panic, and panic increase across the continent as well (increase in continent could depend on lethal force used- the less you kill and more stun, the lower this increase will be)

That would make a bit more sense than evil-take-over-the-world-"of-course!!!"-organization

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Genocidicles said:
Very interesting. I wonder if there'll be any three way battles.
I asked Gupta and he said no, sadly. They wanted to keep the two factions separate.

Greg

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Greg Tito said:
Genocidicles said:
Very interesting. I wonder if there'll be any three way battles.
I asked Gupta and he said no, sadly. They wanted to keep the two factions separate.

Greg
That's why we need modding support for X-Com
Just look at what modders did with UFO:Aftershave series
I currently play modded UFO:Afterlight and there battles can go up to 4-sides (at least that is highest amount of forces I currently have encounter)
Will there be modloader and modding tools out soon?

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
extract missions?

I already imagine that if you send in your colonel assualt man, you just park the skyranger outside the enemy base while rambo's his way out.

Mar 9, 2012
I know that it is just pure conjecture on my part, but judging from the design of their goons, the EXALT organisation seems like a backhanded slap to The Bureau.

Not that I mind too much, I wasn't too keen on that game.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I really like the idea of a anti x com, I would love missions where you end up in an enemy mine situation, and you just know that there going to backstab you and every turn you consider attacking them, but as soon as you attack a group of aliens arrive turning this in a massive three way fight.

That probably won?t happen but man would it be cool, I would also like bigger squads and better intercepting.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Blachman201 said:
I know that it is just pure conjecture on my part, but judging from the design of their goons, the EXALT organisation seems like a backhanded slap to The Bureau.

Not that I mind too much, I wasn't too keen on that game.
I wouldn't be surprised if...

The one running the operations is the one who melded with the Mosaic

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Why are they wearing suits and ties?
All I think when seeing that guy in the front holding his HMG into the camera while wearing casual is "why?".
Is that vital to the ohsoimportant "narrative" or is it just plain dumb?

Also humans vs humans in an aliens vs humans game is just military masturbation.
Don't do an aliens: colonial marines.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
loa said:
Why are they wearing suits and ties?
All I think when seeing that guy in the front holding his HMG into the camera while wearing casual is "why?".
Is that vital to the ohsoimportant "narrative" or is it just plain dumb?

Also humans vs humans in an aliens vs humans game is just military masturbation.
Don't do an aliens: colonial marines.
Clearly comments from a guy, that saw only a screenshot...