XCOM: Enemy Within Trailer Unleashes the War Machines

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
XCOM: Enemy Within Trailer Unleashes the War Machines

A new kind of enemy demands a new kind of soldier.

The big giggle in XCOM: Enemy Within, the "standlone expansion" to last year's hit XCOM: Enemy Unknown, appears to be the addition of a new resource called Meld, a kind of pseudo-magic "stuff" that allows players to biologically or cybernetically enhance their soldiers to give them a better chance against new and even deadlier enemies. Basically, it looks like you'll turn your guys into a bunch of giant fighting robots or load them up with telepathic mojo - always handy in a fight.

The trailer doesn't say much about what Enemy Within will actually be like and viewers unfamiliar with the franchise could be forgiven for thinking that it's a third-person shooter, or perhaps an RTS. But no worries - we have that base covered, as Josh Vanderwall spent some time with the game at PAX and wrote all about it here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10562-PAX-2013-XCOM-Enemy-Within-Hands-On-Preview]. It has fewer explosions but more information, which I think under the circumstances is a good trade.

Completely different games though they may be, the whole thing gives me a real Deus Ex vibe: Gunther Hermann and JC Denton together again, but this time without all the existential angst - unless that's in there too. Now that would be cool.

XCOM: Enemy Within comes out on November 12 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.


Permalink
 

nuba km

New member
Jun 7, 2010
5,052
0
0
its coming out in november, but I'll still be playing pokemon then. Damn these first world problems.
 

lancar

New member
Aug 11, 2009
428
0
0
This is more XCOM, and therefore I need it. Badly.

They'd have to botch this up something fierce for me to not buy it.
 

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
7,190
0
0
If this comes with a patch to fix some of the remaining issues then it will probably be enough to get me back into XCom. I really like the game but the problems it occasionally runs into can be enough to make anyone rage quit.

I can't say I got a Deus Ex vibe in the slightest though.
 

Sean Kay

New member
Jul 4, 2011
42
0
0
Mcoffey said:
I wish there was more campaign content that came with this. I like all the new features, but I've already finished XCom. I don't want to spend 30 bucks just to finish the same game with a few new toys.
There's no new content we know of so far. The new trailer already confirmed at least one extra enemy that Firaxis haven't even mentioned yet. I would be very surprised if there isn't a lot more to come. If nothing else, the fact its Enemy Within hints we might be fighting humans, or maybe see the return of base defence modes
 

Bindal

New member
May 14, 2012
1,320
0
0
Legion said:
If this comes with a patch to fix some of the remaining issues then it will probably be enough to get me back into XCom. I really like the game but the problems it occasionally runs into can be enough to make anyone rage quit.
Changes and fixes are coming. Some skills get rebalanced or even changed entirely. Currently known list:
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=XCOM:_Enemy_Within_%28EU2012%29
 

kajinking

New member
Aug 12, 2009
896
0
0
Bindal said:
Legion said:
If this comes with a patch to fix some of the remaining issues then it will probably be enough to get me back into XCom. I really like the game but the problems it occasionally runs into can be enough to make anyone rage quit.
Changes and fixes are coming. Some skills get rebalanced or even changed entirely. Currently known list:
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=XCOM:_Enemy_Within_%28EU2012%29
Just read and I like what I see, this doesn't appear to just be a few new items and like 12 new maps but a more complete package. Still I'm not sure if I'm ready to toss out 30$ for it, I'll pick it up at the steam sale probably.
 

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
606
0
0
Me as an American: "What the hell is the 15th month? Smarch? Lousy Smarch weather..."
 

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
5,174
0
0
I've had XCOM hankerings lately, but CBA with another playthrough of EU with other games that need to be played. Between this and Xenonauts though I think I'll be doing ok.

Mech needs more Elbow Rocket.
 

Alfador_VII

New member
Nov 2, 2009
1,326
0
0
This looks like it fixes some stuff, adds pointless mechs and Meld.

Wonder if it comes out ahead or not?
 

bjj hero

New member
Feb 4, 2009
3,180
0
0
I think a lttle bit of wee just came out. Im seriously excited about this. We cannot have too much xcom.
 

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
3,073
0
0
More Xcom?

With Mechs?

Cybernetcis?

November?



Supposedly they're fixing things like the flanking mechanic this time around.
 

otakon17

New member
Jun 21, 2010
1,338
0
0
I'm sorry but I started giggling like a school girl at the end when it showed the MEC just slamming that Sectoid MEC with the giant hydraulic fist. I'm sold, I just hope that we don't have to start over again to access it.
 

Quazimofo

New member
Aug 30, 2010
1,370
0
0
otakon17 said:
I'm sorry but I started giggling like a school girl at the end when it showed the MEC just slamming that Sectoid MEC with the giant hydraulic fist. I'm sold, I just hope that we don't have to start over again to access it.
It's an expandalone, so you probably need to start a new game to get the new shiny bits.
 

Nuttydwarf

New member
May 15, 2012
44
0
0
this no touch my X-Com. this bad expansion pack

-Must rush or have your units destroyed by waves of enemies (maps have a time limit now, then waves of tougher enemies start rushing you).
-still does not let you have second sky ranger.
-does not increase the amount of units/ troops
-Must rush or lose all of the "new" resource and be able to get the new toys.
-very anti-turtle expansion (I like playing as a turtle and I hate games where I'm forced to rush.)

+ new maps
+ new toys
 

deth2munkies

New member
Jan 28, 2009
1,066
0
0
Nuttydwarf said:
this no touch my X-Com. this bad expansion pack

-Must rush or have your units destroyed by waves of enemies (maps have a time limit now, then waves of tougher enemies start rushing you).
-still does not let you have second sky ranger.
-does not increase the amount of units/ troops
-Must rush or lose all of the "new" resource and be able to get the new toys.
-very anti-turtle expansion (I like playing as a turtle and I hate games where I'm forced to rush.)

+ new maps
+ new toys
Turtling takes no skill, you just press overwatch and hope, clearing levels quickly without losing people takes much more skill and planning.

I'll buy this so long as it's not full price. "Expandalones" sometimes decide to go full price point and I'm not spending that when I own the base game that's good enough for me.
 

DjinnFor

New member
Nov 20, 2009
281
0
0
deth2munkies said:
Turtling takes no skill, you just press overwatch and hope, clearing levels quickly without losing people takes much more skill and planning.
Turtling is literally made mandatory on higher difficulties by XCOM's terrible design. Clearing levels quickly without losing people is a contradiction in terms.

Re: OT

I'll be avoiding this one. The base game is bad enough that I can't see myself dropping another $30-40 on it.
 

deth2munkies

New member
Jan 28, 2009
1,066
0
0
DjinnFor said:
deth2munkies said:
Turtling takes no skill, you just press overwatch and hope, clearing levels quickly without losing people takes much more skill and planning.
Turtling is literally made mandatory on higher difficulties by XCOM's terrible design. Clearing levels quickly without losing people is a contradiction in terms.

Re: OT

I'll be avoiding this one. The base game is bad enough that I can't see myself dropping another $30-40 on it.
That's why you don't play impossible, it's not hard, it's just aliens with a bunch of extra stats for no reason.