XCom Reimagining Not Being Made by BioShock 2 Team

jezcentral

Nov 6, 2007
An FPS? Humph. I'd rather a mod team got together and reskinned Dragon Age, which is the closest to a big-budget squad-based strategy game as I've seen recently.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Guys, it's not 1997 anymore, genre changes aren't bad. Let it go already. We already had this in the LAST thread about the X-Com shooter.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
I still feel that they could pull a Dawn of War 2 with XCom seeing as the Dawn of War series was brought in as an evolution of Chaos Gate and older XCom style game.

I mean the entire DoW2 plot felt exactly like an XCom storyline. It's a much more real evolution and re-imagining than an FPS could ever be.

ManiacEskimo

Mar 31, 2009
This doesn't change it from probably sucking any less.

AceDiamond said:
Guys, it's not 1997 anymore, genre changes aren't bad. Let it go already. We already had this in the LAST thread about the X-Com shooter.
True genre changes aren't nesecaraly bad, especially when there is a lack of fresh FPS games on the market and a "saturation of squad-based, isometric strategy games which also require multi-layered resource management". /sarcasm

Apr 28, 2008
Doug said:
Irridium said:
Doug said:
Irridium said:
Fallout 3 was really fun, but as a Fallout game, it was pretty poor.
You mean, as a 2D isometric game, it was pretty poor ;)
hehe, I was kind of talking more about the humor and story :p

But I guess it was a pretty poor 2D isometric game ;)
....Right... so, the humour which was the same as in Fallout 1/2, was somehow worse in Fallout 3? The story...well, ok, wasn't quite as good as 1/2.
I thought it wasn't as dark as the others. While still funny, I just didn't like it as much. Guess its a personal preference.

Garfunkel00

Oct 9, 2009
Why do you even have to "wait and see"? Hasn't the last 5+ years of PR-doublespeak and idiotic hype taught you nothing? The game will be nothing but scripted shooter. The only variable is whether its going to be cover-based or not. They are making it for the XBox first, for crying out loud. Strategy mode? Economy? Research? X-Com? Tactical squad combat? You can forget all that right now.

Yet another generic space marine fighting aliens.

And Doug, F3 "humour" was nothing compared to F1/F2. It's not a personal preference, unless your preferences run on the level of WWE and Nascar.

KillerRabbit

Jan 3, 2009
Fetzenfisch said:
KillerRabbit said:
Yey - another FPS, how excited I am! .... not.

Give me a remake of the first two or three games, with added features (like more to research, more skills, vehicles, etc) & animations instead! That's a game I would buy in a heartbeat!
I am very well aware of those attempts of a "remake" and have tried a few of em.. but they did not catch anything of the feeling that was in the three first game sadly.

KillerRabbit

Jan 3, 2009
AceDiamond said:
We are all very aware of that fact, nowadays they dumb everything down and assume all gamers are retards instead. Improvement? I think not. in 1997 they had depth and story in the games, nowadays they only have visuals sadly.

swordless

Mar 29, 2010
AceDiamond said:
A genre change isn't necessarily a bad thing when the original games plot and setting are suited to it. Obviously Fallout 3 was very different to the first couple of games but Fallouts old-timey-post-apocalyptic-future setting of the game was original enough to be able to sustain the change. X-Com actually had a fairly generic ?Aliens have invaded. This is bad? plot and the only thing that really made it stand out was the combined global strategy and small scale squad based combat gameplay.

A game without those elements, no matter how good a shooter it may be, won?t be an X-Com game. It will just be a generic alien shooter with X-Com slapped on the box.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
swordless said:
AceDiamond said:
A genre change isn't necessarily a bad thing when the original games plot and setting are suited to it. Obviously Fallout 3 was very different to the first couple of games but Fallouts old-timey-post-apocalyptic-future setting of the game was original enough to be able to sustain the change. X-Com actually had a fairly generic ?Aliens have invaded. This is bad? plot and the only thing that really made it stand out was the combined global strategy and small scale squad based combat gameplay.

A game without those elements, no matter how good a shooter it may be, won?t be an X-Com game. It will just be a generic alien shooter with X-Com slapped on the box.
Pretty much this. I don't mind a good XCom FPS (XCom Enforce did not happen...despite what Steam and reality say). But to say their 'reimagining' will keep the spirit of the game makes me want to know in what insane way they believe this to be true, heh.

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
It seems everything is a FPS these days. And I think I know why. Aside from beat-em-ups, FPSs are easy to make on consoles. Sure, people complain they don't control as well as with a keyboard + mouse, but people keep on buying FPSs, so developers keep on selling them.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
Mr. Mike said:
It seems everything is a FPS these days. And I think I know why. Aside from beat-em-ups, FPSs are easy to make on consoles. Sure, people complain they don't control as well as with a keyboard + mouse, but people keep on buying FPSs, so developers keep on selling them.
Did someone say "FPS beat-em-ups"? 'Cause I heard someone say FPS beat-em-ups!

And to re-iterate:
New X-Com... "Yaaaay, FINALLY!" Shooter... "What? Why? WHAT?! WHY?!"

I can understand why they would want to create a pulp sci-fi FPS, I even thought that they were going to take Bioshock 3 in that direction, but why not created your own IP? X-Com games are all about tactical combat (those that tried to be something else failed miserably) and having fun with pulp sci-fi cliches -- what kind of lore do they want to find there?