XCom Shooter is Alive and Kicking

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Doom972 said:
trty00 said:
Good. I thought the game looked interesting, and I'm glad it's still on track.

Oh wait, I forgot, any game in a franchise that doesn't follow the exact same formula time and time again is instantly god-awful! How silly of me!
It has to have enough in common: either in gameplay, plot or game world. If you make something completely different, why not just give it a new name?

This game is completely different in gameplay, and apart from being about aliens invading earth, doesn't have much to do with the plot of previous X-COM games, and the game world is completely different due to the new time period and completely different aliens.

For many people, including myself, this game doesn't seem to have enough in common with previous X-COM games. If they wouldn't have named it XCOM, nobody would have a problem with it.
I'm curious if they've changed it to look more like EU. So rather a prequal they end up releasing a FPS xcom:EU. would be interesting to see.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
All I can say is that if it doesn't have a type of creature that is like the Chyrsallid I won't be buying it, they made my games hell but damn if it didn't increase the tension of the game and make it all that more enjoyable.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
But the point is, typically when a product is branded with a title that isn't related to it in some way, it's a sign the people making the product don't have confidence enough to let it stand on its own merit.

So if the Publisher and Developer think they can't sell this thing without adding a brand name too it, and one which at the time had very little cache with the players of FPS games, well, lets just say it usually means; "something is rotten in Kislev."

I've stood by a lot of weird directions for established series to go (Dynasty Warriors Gundam, Battle Isle: Infestation, Tenchi in Tokyo), but usually there is some context for it to travel in that direction (except Tenchi in Tokyo, that was.... interesting). But a 30's set Alien invasion FPS with cool aliens that look like the Angels from Evangelion.... and don't get me wrong it looks very cool, isn't what X-Com is.

You have to remember, games though an artistic medium, are like movies, they are products to sell and if you can't market it for what it is, you slap a name people recognise on it (ala; Troll 2... I need me some of that Nilbog milk).

That said, may not be X-Com as I know it, but my god did it look damn cool.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
didnt they annoucned a few months back that the whole game had pretty much been deleted and that they were reworking this as a squad based fps ?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
BETRA... ahem... after Enemy Unknown wich, to my understanding (and after playing the demo) was pretty cool and had some degree of success, the shooter doesn't sound so bad now and it could compliment Enemy Unknown pretty good.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Nintendo executives are scratching their heads and wondering what all the fuss is about.

Fans of the franchise got there Turn based strategy (that from all accounts was meh) so I think they should be able to do whatever they like now that they have the obligatory fan-want game out of the way.

Apr 28, 2008
Meh, I have enough shooters. And with Enemy Unknown, I'm good for XCOM games. If people want it then more power to them, hope it does well and that people enjoy it, but the shooter just doesn't interest me at all. Ideally there would be both this incarnation of the franchise and the turn-based version, both existing at once. That'd be neat.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
It looked a lot like the Brothers In Arms mechanics set in the XCom universe... which I find pretty cool.

I've always liked the XCom premise but I've always found the game mechanics to be clunky and not very immersive. Being able to play from the first person perspective of an on-the-ground soldier/captain trying to fight an enemy that can not be understood in its motive or its method scratches an itch I didn't know I had.

I loved Brothers In Arms and I'm certain I will like this.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
trty00 said:
This might sound harsh, but... too bad. Seriously, how are we going to get anywhere if we spend all our time curtailing to EXACTLY what fans want?
Probably a lot further than we'd get if we decide that consistent branding is for losers.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
so a game that was announced earlier, still faisl to deliver months after the real Xcom game buzz is over. what a surprise. this is 2K after all.

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
Here is the good of it. The people who like the universe and the turn base nature, they are happy. Seeing as though most of the market is in the FPS market, seems like a good idea. Gets the brand to keep on going forward. The thing is if you don't like the FPS flavor, you know what, you have the RTS flavor. You got what you want. Trying something in a new flavor would increase the brand recognizing. Which justify making more DLC for Enemy Unknown, or better yet another one of that. Having the brand be set in different ways sounds good.

The bad of it, there is another FPS. Which sucks if you are an XCOM fan. Since that isn't what you wanted.

The thing is, that is ok. The people that like the FPS get what they want, and the XCOM fans get something they wanted. Hell maybe later down the road maybe the two could converge. Where you either play it the RTS method, or switch to the FPS which you control a single character while the AI controls the rest. So that whatever you like, you be happy.

Which I think was the initial goal here. I hope things work out for them. Hell if it doesn't work out, atleast they tried something different. That is more then what you can say about other brands.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
If it still has those cool geometrical enemies I'm interested.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Take the GREATEST game ever made- just imagine one. Right.
Now base it in the 1920's.
No matter how good it is, I won't be able to find it interesting or be entertained.
Because I LOATHE the era. Just looking at the L.A Noir front cover (for example) hammers boredom straight into my bones.
The setting is literally the only reason that I haven't and won't ever be able to play that game.

The same will certainly be true for Xcom.
And anyway... 1920's plus alien counter-insurgency is always going to equal the partial evocation of ghost-busters. Rookies in beige jumpsuits with greased, suburban, white middle class comb-overs. Yeah, okay. Would rather play with fucking asbestos.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
lol ...

kinda turning 'DmC will suck cause its different' all up in here.

gee I donno, how about playing it first first for a change. I was wrong about DmC being bad cause it's different (crow goes good with BBQ sauce btw) so ya know -.- same thing here.

for the record, no, don't care, not an X-com fan

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
Lunar Templar said:
gee I donno, how about playing it first first for a change. I was wrong about DmC being bad cause it's different (crow goes good with BBQ sauce btw) so ya know -.- same thing here.

4th season of MLP will be about underground cyberpunk spiderpeople, without a former established character in sight.

You were saying?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Draconalis said:
trty00 said:
Oh wait, I forgot, any game in a franchise that doesn't follow the exact same formula time and time again is instantly god-awful! How silly of me!
To be fair, fans of a given series are fans because they like what a series offers. If you change the things they like into things they might not like, how are the fans supposed to react?

Fans of this series were fans of an entirely different genre than a FPS, and with so many FPSs saturating the market, I wager seeing their TBS turned into another FPS wasn't pleasant news. Besides, people who like TBSs tend to play differently than people who like FPSs. That's not to say there is no cross over, but the genres require different play styles.

It's like turning Tetris into a space fighter game. The fans of Tetris wanted to enjoy a puzzle game, not a space fighter.

The game may not suck... but it's not what the fans want.
So, just because developers want to try something different with a franchise, they are not allowed to do it because of the fans of the main-installments? If it's a spin-off, who cares if they like the new style or not?
Besides, there are quite a few examples of games, where changing the genre wasn't a bad thing.
Resident Evil: Main-Installments went from the puzzle-solving fixed-angle survival horror to a TPS with "Resident Evil 4" - nobody complained after they played it. And some of the spin-offs (the two Chronicals, the two Outbreaks) also were - for not being exactly the same as previous installments in terms of genre - not shunned away from the fans either.
Or Castlevania:
Went from a linear (or mostly linear) 2D-Platformer to a MetroidVania game and never looked back ever since...
Metroid: The Prime-Trilogy went from 2D-MetroidVania to a more FPS-styled gameplay. Once again, people loved it.

And I treat this game the same: It is a spin-off for me, so let them try something different with it. It can be good and maybe makes people, who were not interested in the franchise now interested in it...

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Norrdicus said:
Lunar Templar said:

4th season of MLP will be about underground cyberpunk spiderpeople, without a former established character in sight.

You were saying?
After running my mouth about DmC being shit for pretty much the same reason (really, he's Dante/Virgil/Mundus in name only) I'd still give it a go

YOU where saying?