Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition Thread

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Given that the game is launching in just over 3 weeks i'd thought i'd start a thread about it.
Nintendo UK just released the latest trailer for xenoblade and i'm so freaking excited! :love::love::love:

anyone on this forum going to play it when it launches? what are you thoughts about the remake?

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Isn't this that game you declared GOTY as soon as it was announced with nothing other than CGI trailers to go off of?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Isn't this that game you declared GOTY as soon as it was announced with nothing other than CGI trailers to go off of?
Probably, also it's a game that has been released already. So it's just a repeat release. I guess it can win GOTY again 🤷

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Hard pass. I just tried Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii after letting it age on the shelf for a couple years, and I immediately gave up after 2 hours. It seems like the worst kind of JRPG. Endless fetch quests and undecided about whether it wants to be real time or turn based. It reminded me a lot of FFXII.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
It's coming out a few days before my bday, gonna be just the right gift for myself. Very excited to hear the new music in full!

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Hmm, I'm going to pass on this. I've already played the Wii original to completion. Good times. But I know it's a 100+ hour game, and I'd prefer spending that time playing something new rather than something I've for the most part already have. Besides still have the remainder of Trials of Mana and all of Saga Scarlet Grace on my plate.

Will continue interest in Xenoblade X port tho.

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Hmm, I'm going to pass on this. I've already played the Wii original to completion. Good times. But I know it's a 100+ hour game, and I'd prefer spending that time playing something new rather than something I've for the most part already have. Besides still have the remainder of Trials of Mana and all of Saga Scarlet Grace on my plate.

Will continue interest in Xenoblade X port tho.
fair enough.

Future Connected is a new story though. people are expecting it to be similar in length to Torna: The Golden Country DLC story from Xenoblade 2.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
This is indeed that game he declared GOTY as soon as it was announced with nothing other than CGI trailers to go off of.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Bruh, the game's been out for literal years.

I know Yoshi can be unreasonable, but this isn't that bad.
It's a joke about how, back in 2017, he was calling Xenoblade Chronicles 2 his GOTY, claiming he had played it despite the game not being out yet.
A bunch of people called him out and he shifted goalposts, as he will, redefining "I played the game" as "educated prediction".
And then by the same token he continued to criticize games he hadn't played either because other people liked them or they weren't Nintendo's.
Here's the link:

Reactions: BrawlMan

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Hard pass. I just tried Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii after letting it age on the shelf for a couple years, and I immediately gave up after 2 hours. It seems like the worst kind of JRPG. Endless fetch quests and undecided about whether it wants to be real time or turn based. It reminded me a lot of FFXII.
I want you to know, that the fetch quests are almost entirely skippable side nonsense, and you can blitz past them. I also want you to know that if you do, and you encounter an enemy 6 levels too high, they put your hit ratio down to ~5%, so if you happen to make it to the final boss 6 levels too low, it's effectively unwinnable, even if you survive the fight for literal consecutive hours, you still hardly put a dent in because your attacks just don't land. And then you have to give up, and reload your previous save file (which is not even close to right before the fight) and backtrack out to grind up 1 level against random enemies so that you can actually beat the game.

And also Shulk sucks.

I'll probably play the remake anyway, I like this sort of combat system, so I enjoyed XC despite those two glaring flaws.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I want you to know, that the fetch quests are almost entirely skippable side nonsense, and you can blitz past them. I also want you to know that if you do, and you encounter an enemy 6 levels too high, they put your hit ratio down to ~5%, so if you happen to make it to the final boss 6 levels too low, it's effectively unwinnable, even if you survive the fight for literal consecutive hours, you still hardly put a dent in because your attacks just don't land. And then you have to give up, and reload your previous save file (which is not even close to right before the fight) and backtrack out to grind up 1 level against random enemies so that you can actually beat the game.
That's why you should head out with the Heropon in the lead. Just spam those status effect AoE's til they proc, then slap some more on and watch that HP plummet. Seriously, stacking different damage over time status effects is really, really good in this game. Won't help you any in the early game, I know, but the moment I got Riki, the other two party member where basically just there for support (aside from those times you need the Monado).

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
That's why you should head out with the Heropon in the lead. Just spam those status effect AoE's til they proc, then slap some more on and watch that HP plummet. Seriously, stacking different damage over time status effects is really, really good in this game. Won't help you any in the early game, I know, but the moment I got Riki, the other two party member where basically just there for support (aside from those times you need the Monado).
Yeah, but I didn't know that having blitzed the game, and also Riki is unbelievably annoying. Not mechanically, mechanically Riki's awesome. But dear god, the character is awful.

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
It's a joke about how, back in 2017
i thought jokes were supposed to be funny?

and you guys shouldn't become comedians if you haven't been able to come up with any original material in literally 3 years

What's really funny is the way you guys whine about the amount of arguments you all have with me. Well maybe you guys shouldn't keep throwing shit back in my face if you don't want those arguments to start in first place...

Last edited:

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Yeah, but I didn't know that having blitzed the game, and also Riki is unbelievably annoying. Not mechanically, mechanically Riki's awesome. But dear god, the character is awful.
Riki not annoying
Riki is Heropon
Heropon Bestest!

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Hmm, that's good to know. This is definitely the kind of game I want to cheese if I get around to playing it.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Hmm, that's good to know. This is definitely the kind of game I want to cheese if I get around to playing it.
Oh yeah, Riki is straight up the best character in the game. Average stats, but highest base HP and his arts make him very versatile. He can steal items (and later AP/XP), he has a heal, he has all 4 DoT status effects, can cause break and topple by himself, and a bunch of other really useful abilities. There is no reason to not have him as lead player-controlled character at all times, or at least in the party.

Downsides are you don't get him until a fair bit into the game and he has a cutesy speech pattern you'll either find endearing, or more likely, very annoying.

Aiddon

Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
United States
This is basically what FFXII should have been and the Definitive Edition looks to make it even better. I'm wondering what Future Connected is going to do storywise considering everything in XB2

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
This is basically what FFXII should have been and the Definitive Edition looks to make it even better. I'm wondering what Future Connected is going to do storywise considering everything in XB2
Best guess, they'll sat Monado like 43,000 times more. Unless XB2 has an effect, and then they'll say Aegis a few times.