Yahtzee Answers Your Questions About Mogworld

Anacortian

May 19, 2009
MMORPG (pronounced emmemmoharpeegee) is not an acronym.

Yahtzee usual treatment (pronounced memmorpegga) is.

To use another example: FBI (effbee-aye) is merely an abbreviation, but FBI (fbee) would be an acronym.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
Terry Pratchett would perhaps agree that someone wanting to write only reading his books is stupid as well. lol

"Pratchett has said that to write, you must read extensively, both inside and outside your chosen genre[87] and to the point of "overflow".[24]" from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Pratchett

I do want to read Mogworld but I don't typically buy books, I usually borrow them from the library... Oh well...

imaloony

Nov 19, 2009
Really? Someone asked if there would be a sex scene?

More importantly, someone wants to see a Zombie sex scene?
*Stops looking at Left 4 Dead Hentai*

What I find funny is that his name on the cover of the book is actually printed as Yahtzee Crowshaw instead of Ben Crowshaw. Sort of like a Lemony Snicket kind of thing.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Hmm... yeah... I'm definitely going pick Mogworld up at some point...
Don't know when... but I will...

And...

"...asks: will there be any sex scenes in it?"

(Yahtzee looks at the cover of the book)

NO.

HA!

DPutna17

Nov 18, 2009
Anacortian said:

To use another example: FBI (effbee-aye) is merely an abbreviation, but FBI (fbee) would be an acronym.
Nope. MMORPG is in fact an acronym which is a type of abbreviation. Memmorpegga is simply the phonetic way to pronounce the acronym and is not an abbreviation or acronym.

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
I wasn't going to get this - then I read the excerpt on Amazon (y'know, the one that starts from the beginning), and have quite totally changed my mind.

Starting a book anywhere but the beginning just makes no sense (i.e. the Escapist's excerpt). Excerpts are silly. Nearly turned me off what looks to be a fantastic novel.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
Goddamn you! You and your hate of... I can't stay mad at someone who looks and talks like that. I'm sorry Yatzhee, I didn't mean to make you mad. /joke]

OT: Pretty funny, even though it is just him answering questions. I think it more has to do with hearing him from something different then the equivalent of this: "hatehatehatehateahatepenisjokehate" and more like this "hate hate hate hate hate penis joke hate". Anyway, good luck with the book, Yatzhee. I'll pick up a copy as soon as the rents paid. And the book isn't thirty bucks.

Anacortian

May 19, 2009
DPutna17 said:
Anacortian said:

Nope. MMORPG is in fact an acronym which is a type of abbreviation. Memmorpegga is simply the phonetic way to pronounce the acronym and is not an abbreviation or acronym.
Incorrect, please read a dictionary.

"a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words"

Thus, when saying MMORPG as Yahtzee usually says it (as if it was one word), MMORPG is an acronym; when stating each letter in the series, it is but an abbreviation. If you are not pronouncing it the letters as if they were parts of a single word, it is not an acronym.

As pronounced
not pronounced asacronym---pronounced as acronym---abbreviation in question
effbee aye-----------------fby---------------------FBI
emmemmoharpeegee-----------memmorpegga-------------MMORPG
enayessay------------------nasa--------------------NASA
yewessay-------------------oosah-------------------USA
yewen----------------------un----------------------UN
araydee ayar---------------raydar------------------RADAR
see aye a------------------see a-------------------CIA
dee you eye----------------dooy--------------------DUI
emmayedeedee---------------mad---------------------MADD

(The above table looked better on the edit screen, but I cannot make it look good post post. Just assume that the hyphens separate columns and that the columns actually line-up with one another.)

So we see that (conventionally) NASA, RADAR, and MADD are acronyms; FBI, USA, UN, and CIA are not. DUI is often used both as an acronym and not. MMORPG is often used as an acronym by Yahtzee, but is not in the above-mentioned case, and is conventionally not.

cookieXkiller

Mar 7, 2010
Aisaku said:
cookieXkiller said:
Khaiseri said:
I need to read his book, but I probably won't be able since I live in Mexico...
agreed but im in new zealand -.- anything takes a long time to get here
Same here, and still I hope I'll be able to buy any of the digital download versions available.
agreed if not a place where i can order it ? i really wouldnt mind reading it

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
I'm pretty interested in getting Mogworld *Heavy Metal Music* as soon as it's released in Australia

Also, I am currently in my teenage years and read Terry Pratchett heavily... I laughed when he said it was idiotic

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
That was pretty funny. Yahtzee is looking pretty slick, I miss his hat though.

I might buy this now, it sounds interesting.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
RemSaverem said:
ultimateownage said:
Just because I'm (and you where) a stupid little shit doesn't mean that Terry Pratchett is bad.
Mantonio said:
Wait, is he criticising Pratchett books, or the fact that he refused to read anything else during his teenaged years? I just want to clarify this.
He's criticising the fact that he refused to read anything except Pratchett. He's not criticising Pratchett.

I can't believe I had to point that out....
Yeah, I got that, I just pointed out that I'm pretty much doing the same thing in only reading his books. I could have worded it a little better though.