Yahtzee Goes to Hollywood: Zero Punctuation Previews on G4's X-Play

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Yahtzee Goes to Hollywood: Zero Punctuation Previews on G4's X-Play

"I'm excited that ZP is getting into new forms of media," Yahtzee says. "It still amazes me how this is all taking shape and putting me in new and weird places of fame and recognition. G4 is a great place for it."

Read Full Article

Zera

Sep 12, 2007
if this success does keep up then the sites servers will crash

oneplus999

Oct 4, 2007
What? Getting /.ed in the second week is all the publicity ZP ever needed :) thats how I found it at least...

I want our servers to crash from people refreshing over and over just to be the first to watch Zero Punctuation each week and post "woo! First11!!1" on our forums (before being banned for doing that because we hate that)
This does actually make me worry. I usually like to pick stories I liked and follow what people are saying about it, but it's long since not possible with ZP, due to there being a couple hundred comments in the first day. I'm just hoping its newfound popularity doesn't negatively impact the quality of discussion elsewhere.

Here's to hoping it's not a bittersweet success for current readers! :)

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
oneplus999 said:
This does actually make me worry. I usually like to pick stories I liked and follow what people are saying about it, but it's long since not possible with ZP, due to there being a couple hundred comments in the first day. I'm just hoping its newfound popularity doesn't negatively impact the quality of discussion elsewhere.
I've had this problem for a while now. Its often not possible to keep up with all the posts on the more popular topics. As much as I love how popular the escapist has become, I think I prefered it when it was just a small community.

Gisgo Elim

Feb 7, 2008
Gratz to yahtzee and his new tuesday deadline lol his sneak peeks will have to be funny and cable friendly otherwise the funny stuff will be censored to death. Damn you FCC!

Girlysprite

Nov 9, 2007
I suspect a new flood of 'anonymous source'. And i hope, as the elitist I am, that the quality of the board discussions will be maintained.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Not that this will make me watch X-play, not having done so in years since I get an uneasy feeling of being a complete loser whenever I try to watch TV computer game shows, its kewl to see ZP getting to move onto TV. That said, how do u do a short preview of a 3minute show?

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Well, they'll have to keep upping the ante now. Lengthen the show, vary up the material, hire a team of writers, etc. etc.

sfried

Dec 20, 2007
I can feel the writter of that article trying to contain the hate he has for G4...and I don't blame him a single bit.

I miss the old TechTV. I would usually turn on the TV and that is the only channel I would watch. They had a sense of variety, even for a technology channel, with The Screen Savers being the predominant show followed by Call for Help. Extended Play was one of the few reviews, nay, the only review show I respected. But then came the Comcast buyout and the forced-merger of G4 and TechTV: One of the worst decisions in network history.

The audience of G4, especially the producers, completely butchered TechTV. First layoffs, then complete removal of unique TechTV shows. It pissed me off to quite an extenet, untill they decided to remove The Screen Savers. That was it...

X-Play was just a former shell of what Extended Play used used to be, especially without Kate Botello. Iin my opinion, Kate was more knowledgeable in the field than Morgan would ever hope to be. No offense to Morgan, as the writter said, she was Screen Savers staff, but Morgan was better at PCs as to Kate is better at videogames.

I've been hearing some positive stuff about this "new" X-Play recently, but I can't help but feel, somewhere around the corner, the evil Tommy Talarico is watching...

(That said, it's good that they don't show the complete Zero Punctuation review. I feel they might force to sanitize it the same way they did with EgoRaptor's "Awsome" series.)

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
I agree. G4 killed tech TV. I canceled my subscription to the package that had it because of them.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
I like Morgan (don't know her personally) and ZP (I guess I don't know Ben personally either) so good luck to them both, G4 and The Escapist!

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Sweet. Maybe the owners of the boards can create a "Woo, first!1" board on a separate server.

Let's hope that Yahtzee doesn't get drawn into the exciting life and weind up getting arrested for snorting cocaine from the back of a dead hooker.

Though I'm not sure the lines about about the 'triple cunted hooker' will quite make the cut.

Ignotus

Feb 19, 2008
Not so far from the top. Then it all comes crashing down. He could always pull a Britney and shave his head and stop wearing underwear. I suppose no one would notice under that stylish hat. I don't know about the underwear, though.

stacia123

Nov 8, 2007
I came away from this article deeply missing TechTV and "The Screen Savers". Again.

Don't get me wrong, I hope this joint effort works out well for everyone involved. I do mean that sincerely. Yet, I can't let go of my bitter, bitter feelings about G4.

Mr_Vorhias

Feb 27, 2008
Now I'm not griping about there being more Zero Punctuation now, but am I the only one who thinks it's kinda unnecessary to show a preview for videos that rarely go past 5 minutes in length?

How much of it could you show without giving away most of everything, after all?

MrKeroChan

Oct 3, 2007
ssssssssoooooooooooooo.....does this basic mean that ZP has, for all intents, moved to Thursday ( US ) ?

my bad... it's just late today...

jas11262009

Feb 10, 2009
My wife and I watch Zero Punctuation weekly. We like it for different reasons. Hers being the wit and mine being that you're speaking about video games as they are. Not as they are portrayed by big business. Oh, and my balls in her possession (j/k). While I find the information to be shallow (no offense I just feel that sometimes the information provided is overshadowed by your rants of the particular aspect), It does provide me interest in seeing what a particular game is all about. Very entertaining to say the least. Congratulations on your success and take care.