Yahtzee nailed it (Games that beat me)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hawki said:
-Very wary of RPGs these days, simply because they're a huge time sink
For me, it depends on the way the time is sunk. I'll put 80 hours into a game I'm enjoying no problem. If it's a game I can play in short bursts, I'll do it, too. Pok?mon games are notorious for this, where even the grindy nature of maxing out perfect Pok?s doesn't bother me because I'll usually play waiting for a ride/bus or at a Doctor's office or something.

CoCage said:
Ninety-Nine Nights - Died in the second stage, quit and returned, because the game lack checkpoints, and the characters move so slow. I heard the 2nd game is better, but not by much.
N3 beat me in a different way: by freeing almost every time I did one of the "Musou"(I forget what they're really called) attacks involving that huge tidal wave. Or just wave, I guess. My 360 couldn't handle rendering it or something, so it dropped the game down to like 3 FPS and usually hung.

I suppose I probably could have bet the game without using that special, but after the third freeze in one level in a row, I just said 'screw it."

Dalisclock said:
Metal Gear Solid V. V for Venom? Victory? Vengeance?
Pretty sure it's V for Vendetta. >.>

Not really related here, but my brother was the MGS fan, while I mostly just watched him play. It's one thing I actuallyfind myself missing about the series now that he lives in another state.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Something Amyss said:
Hawki said:
-Very wary of RPGs these days, simply because they're a huge time sink
For me, it depends on the way the time is sunk. I'll put 80 hours into a game I'm enjoying no problem. If it's a game I can play in short bursts, I'll do it, too. Pok?mon games are notorious for this, where even the grindy nature of maxing out perfect Pok?s doesn't bother me because I'll usually play waiting for a ride/bus or at a Doctor's office or something.

CoCage said:
Ninety-Nine Nights - Died in the second stage, quit and returned, because the game lack checkpoints, and the characters move so slow. I heard the 2nd game is better, but not by much.
N3 beat me in a different way: by freeing almost every time I did one of the "Musou"(I forget what they're really called) attacks involving that huge tidal wave. Or just wave, I guess. My 360 couldn't handle rendering it or something, so it dropped the game down to like 3 FPS and usually hung.

I suppose I probably could have bet the game without using that special, but after the third freeze in one level in a row, I just said 'screw it."

Dalisclock said:
Metal Gear Solid V. V for Venom? Victory? Vengeance?
Pretty sure it's V for Vendetta. >.>

Not really related here, but my brother was the MGS fan, while I mostly just watched him play. It's one thing I actuallyfind myself missing about the series now that he lives in another state.
Do you have an older 360 or a slim? I think the older ones are known for having frame rate issues with the game.

Also, Devil May Cry 2. So boring, I never finished it. If their was a cheat code to unlock the harder difficulties and extra character, that might motivate me to actually finish the game.

bobdark

Legacy
Apr 7, 2008
Personally what made me realize i don't like the assassin's creed games anymore was while i was watching old zero punctuation videos. When he talked about about everything he really liked about the 1st one was the actual assassin stuff and it was all the busy work he didn't like, now the busy work is all there is.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dalisclock said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
I took another break from MGSV to start The Old Hunters. I still enjoy the game even with the repeated side missions because I love the immersion, but I doubt I?ll go for its Platinum like originally planned. Perhaps if I?m ever bored enough. The worst would be collecting all the animals and S-ranking all 50 missions. I?ve gotten quite a few out of the way but some of them would just be pushing futility.
SuperBunnyHop did a video on 100% MGSV. Apparently it's a giant ass pain, because it means most missions end up getting played at least twice(and often 3 times) because you have get all of the hidden, optional objectives as well, which is unlikely on the first go and fairly incompatible with an S rank. In fact, apparently the ranks are mostly based off of time completed, so almost every mission can be S ranked by speedrunning the crap out of it(the walker gear is apparently amazing for this).

As for the animal collection? Yeah, apparently most of them don't show up on the map and need to be trapped, but certain animals only show up in very small, isolated areas and the only way to know is to read a guide or just place traps everywhere.

He said it totally wasn't worth the effort.
The sad part is it?s apparently one of the easier Platinum?s in the series. If I played any of them for that it would probably be 3 because I enjoyed it the most overall. I thought of 2 but it has those annoying dog tags that require playing through the game on each difficulty level.

In any case, I?m glad Kojima was finally able to move onto something new, because I feel like he was increasingly trolling everyone after 2, and especially with 4 [http://metagearsolid.org/reports_mgs4_soldout_1.html]

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
Pillars of Eternity hit a point where all interest faded. It was quite sudden, after booting it up one time, as soon as I started to head to the next questination, everything just felt meaningless and the inventory faffing became this glaring dreaded anxiety that I was not optimising all my numbers properly everytime I opened it up. Haven't had any desire to go back in since.
Yeah same for me, was actually kinda enjoying it and then suddenly I didn't care at all, I think the problem was the the main narrative was really weak, looting became really repetitive and combat was too much of a clusterfuck for me to really care.

I tried playing 2 and got fairly far in the game, almost reached max level, but I dropped it too once I had finished all the side content and was left with just the main quest (my last side quest bugged out and I just didn't feel like continuing). I think the problem is having a blank slate main character and side character that all have to be optional, this makes the main narrative feel completely divorced from your party. Combat also got infuriating on highest difficulty (on lower it's just boring), character don't do what you want them to, the UI is atrocious and hide crucial piece of information and path finding is terrible. Loot also is weird, you can find really good stuff very quickly, so you end up in a situation where most of what you find is worthless for 2/3 of the game.

I also dropped AC:Origin quickly, didn't care about the main story (especially teh farcical bad guys) and the gameplay was repetitive and boring (all these game trying to make soul like combat but forgetting to add stamina, sigh). I rather enjoyed walking around Egypt, that was great, but after a couple of hours it lost it's charm. I really wish they'd refocus everything around the assassination, with every assassination being an entire arc where you have to carefully plan your hit by doing many side content (like AC1 but you know, good).

I'm replaying Fallout 4 but I know I won't finish it (not that I did the first time), the main story is terrible, with none of the faction being interesting yet you somehow having to support one at the exclusion of the other. But survival mode is really fun, so I'll play until I'm pretty well equipped and doesn't feel threaten and have no more need of new loot.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Not recently but Devil Survivor has given me some sort of PTSD from its final act after I couldn't beat the final boss of the game. I tried to play the remake Overclocked on easy mode and it was still hard as balls and I couldn't make myself beat the third to last boss just because I couldn't will myself to.

I really don't like how they do difficulty in the Shin Megami Tensei games, so much of the difficulty comes from knowing exactly what to do in each situation, which I could deal with if it didn't also require hours of grinding to try and fix your team composition for almost every single boss.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Meiam said:
I also dropped AC:Origin quickly, didn't care about the main story (especially teh farcical bad guys) and the gameplay was repetitive and boring (all these game trying to make soul like combat but forgetting to add stamina, sigh).
Origins actually has stamina. But you'd be forgiven for not noticing because the very first upgrade that the tutorial on levelling has you buy makes it regenerate (rapidly)

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
But did it beat you, or did you simply lose interest in the game. I mean let's face it we ALL have games in our libraries that we have started but never finished for whatever reason right? Maybe it was a game you were really into playing, but then a couple weeks later a new game came out and you completely forgot, or just never went back to the first game.

Does it count as a game beating you if you just didn't find it fun enough to keep playing? Even if you got distracted by another game? It took me a year to beat Persona 5 because I got pulled away from it and it took forever to come back, did it beat me? Or so long as I finish the game I still won, even if the game couldn't hold my interest for its entire duration.

Any game can grow stale if you over consume it in too short of a time period right? While there are plenty of games that we can just binge through, there are others that we have an off and on relationship with until we finish them.

In the case of AC:Ody, it would seem like you really tried to like something you never were super into in the first place. Yet you pushed on hoping it would get better and it failed to do so for you. I dunno if I'd say it beat you though. If anything I would say the game FAILED you. It failed to make it's core fun for you, which is the job of every game, and as a result you shoved it aside into the trash bin.

Apr 5, 2008
SlumlordThanatos said:
For me, it was Far Cry 5.
I completely get this one and found the same, altho I did struggle thru. I 100%'d the first zone, the lower-left one with the younger brother IIRC. By the time I was done there I'd had enough. The issue is we see everything the game has to offer in the first couple of hours after the (horrible) tutorial. After that, it's just doing the same thing again, and again, and again and again. AFter that first zone, I wanted it to end but still had to score so-many fuckabout points before it allowed me to.

I think Ubisoft are copying DA: Inquisition's approach here. Now Odyssey by all accounts has tons of grinding required before the player can proceed with the storyline. Locking content behind fuckabout points was shit in Inquisition, shit in Andromeda and shit in FC5. Based on Yahtzee's review, sounds like it was shit in Odyssey too. This is the Ubisoft Game tho, an open sandbox with copy/pasted "content", now with extra microtransactions.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
KingsGambit said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
For me, it was Far Cry 5.
I completely get this one and found the same, altho I did struggle thru. I 100%'d the first zone, the lower-left one with the younger brother IIRC. By the time I was done there I'd had enough. The issue is we see everything the game has to offer in the first couple of hours after the (horrible) tutorial. After that, it's just doing the same thing again, and again, and again and again. AFter that first zone, I wanted it to end but still had to score so-many fuckabout points before it allowed me to.

I think Ubisoft are copying DA: Inquisition's approach here. Now Odyssey by all accounts has tons of grinding required before the player can proceed with the storyline. Locking content behind fuckabout points was shit in Inquisition, shit in Andromeda and shit in FC5. Based on Yahtzee's review, sounds like it was shit in Odyssey too. This is the Ubisoft Game tho, an open sandbox with copy/pasted "content", now with extra microtransactions.
Strangely enough though, I feel like I was able to tackle GR: Wildlands however I wanted. It was probably the most open ended open world game I?ve played lately in terms of mission structure and being able to roam freely to procure whatever gear and intel perks you like. I think only the main boss was ?locked?, in that you had to defeat most of the other territory leaders first.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Silentpony said:
Borderlands 2. Holy fuck! The characters are terrible! Jack, Claptrap, the sirens, what's his black, the hippie, Brick. They're all so fucking terribly written. Not one of them sounds like a person I want to even help get a glass of water. They're all 13 year old boys, obsessed with AWESOME, AMAZING, COOL, and TITS!
There's nothing to like about that game...
Yeah I had a hard time picking a character in Borderlands 2. Finally settled on Maya, based on gameplay mechancis rather than anything story/character-wise. Managed to still have a fun time. The one that burned me out was the Pre-Sequel. I only got about 3-4 hours into it before I thought y'know what, I'm done with this for good. I did play through all the DLC of the previous games though, some of which was better than the core itself.

OT: Funny thing for me, is that quite often I drop a franchise because it strays too far away from what I enjoyed about it in the first place. AC1 I actually loved, AC2 was great. AC3 started going into stupid farmville shit and I despised it, plus the character was less interesting than a brick. I stopped there and never looked back, even though my brother is stuck right into odyssey, calling me last night to rave about how awesome it was.

Lot of people talking about Far Cry 5, but that's where I picked things back up, because Primal didn't ring my bell. And yea I wasn't expecting it to be great either. I think the story is a hot pile of garbage (well the characters are annoying, and agree the progression of getting recaptured and escaping every time is just freaking stupid, I made a post about this awhile back about the amount of mayhem you're causing and then just getting away to do more). I enjoyed it mostly from gameplay point of view too. FC3 was the strongest in terms of villain characters, story was....ok, just the ending felt a bit silly.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CoCage said:
Do you have an older 360 or a slim? I think the older ones are known for having frame rate issues with the game.
I had one of the OGs at the time. It never occurred to me to try it with a newer model.

Commanderfantasy said:
But did it beat you, or did you simply lose interest in the game.
I've never beat Borderlands 2, one example given here, but I wouldn't say it "beat me." I put down Far Cry Primal because it wasn't my thing. This game left me with an almost tangible sense of defeat.

Thanks to sales and Humble Bundles, I don't know that it'd ever be possible for me to beat all my games, which is the criteria some people seem to be using, and I will lose interest sometimes because a game's so-so or I tried something and it wasn't for me. Sometimes, I put a game down with the intent to play it again or I just get distracted by something better.

Andf if people want to count any of these things or other issues, that's fine. I left the definition intentionally loose.

But for me...After Brotherhood, I didn't touch another AC game for years. It crushed not only my interest in that game, but also the franchise. I think Odyssey may do the same, if not worse, because if this is the direction the franchise is taking I think I'm done. But I bring up Brotherhood specifically because I thought I was done before.

The closest I can think of similarly was Bayonetta, and that was simply because I hit a wall where my playstyle would no longer work. I was having a blast up until that point, but I hit a wall and was like "I'm done." I still don't get the soul-crushing sense out of the franchise that I do out of Odyssey at this point.

Used to be, I could just trot around in an AC game exploring, unlocking towers, and doing whatever and enjoy myself. Even that no longer seems fun. This is basically depression in video game form. And I'm not making light of depression: I suffer from it, and I know what it feels like. That's defeat. The gam,e not only got me to put it down, it devastated the part of my soul that still enjoys stuff.

I dunno if I'd say it beat you though. If anything I would say the game FAILED you. It failed to make it's core fun for you, which is the job of every game, and as a result you shoved it aside into the trash bin.
That is, I will grant, an interesting perspective. The "beat me" phrasing was partially glib, because I doubt this was the intended end goal of Odyssey. On the other hand, as Ubisoft moves towards more of a whale economy, I/m not sure they'll miss my money, either: people online are talking about how much they spent on mathematics and time-savers, so they probably can't hear me over all the money they're making. At the same time, this gameplay loop is one that is intentional, grindy, and built to get you to pry open your wallet, and the sense of defeat probably comes from a similar place to what you have described: I wanted t stick it out because these games used to be fun.

Still feels like a loss.

hanselthecaretaker said:
Strangely enough though, I feel like I was able to tackle GR: Wildlands however I wanted. It was probably the most open ended open world game I?ve played lately in terms of mission structure and being able to roam freely to procure whatever gear and intel perks you like. I think only the main boss was ?locked?, in that you had to defeat most of the other territory leaders first.
A few of El Sueno's subordinates are locked, too. Otherwise, there's a suggested difficulty that doesn't scale up in terms of damage, so it's mostly about tactics. Upgrades make things easier. Better guns make things easier. My friends and I snuck into some Unidad bases in 5 star areas early on to get gear we wanted, and the thing is, most enemies still go down with a single headshot if they're not alerted, even with weak guns and even if they're tanks. There's some copypasting in the game, but it's far from the usual Ubisoft open world.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Do people legitimately beat games anymore? Thje amazing thing about 'Progression Achievements' in the PC gaming marketplace and to a lesser extent PS4 trophies is that you can legitimately track just what percentages of game completion, and specific game locations and obstacles, where people actually got up to.

Everybody talks about how great Dark Souls is? Well apparently people might have played it a couple of hours, got to the Taurus demon, and a shitload basically just rage quit. Don't get mewrong. I love Soulsborne games ... but they are obviously not for everyone, and despite having a definite linear end (unlike something like Monster Hunter series) it's kind of obvious that people don'treally play games to beat them.

Wait two years and you can probably pick up a game for about $4 ... and about twenty thousand other games likely for less than $2. And many of them are amazing ... the idea of completing games is secondary too simplyu experiencing something new.

I've invested perhaps 150+ hours into Hearts of Iron 4 ... but 90% of that is with mods like Equestria @ War and Fallout.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Ni No Kuni beat me awhile back.

I got a copy on Gamefly, fired up with promises of the game reaching amazing heights of quality at some point.

When I played it, I was subjected to extremely patronizing NPC hand-holding and a plot that I felt far too old to appreciate. Add on the clunky combat system Yahtzee was ranting about, and soon I found myself posting on this site, asking how long it would take for the game to "get good".

When I mentioned that I was in the third adventure town, I was told, "If you're not enjoying it yet, then you probably won't enjoy it anytime later." So, I dropped the game.

PFCboom

Sep 20, 2012
The number of games which I've played for AN hour before saying NOPE is embarrassingly long. Yes, Dark Souls is one of them, and I just gave up on it because, well, I'm not a masochist, and I don't have the time or energy to "git gud scrub." In the spirit of Yahtzee's review, I will limit my griping to games which I've played for multiple hours before putting down.

World of Warcraft - It honestly hurts me to say that I don't like Battle for Azeroth. That's not to say it's bad, exactly, it's just that BfA shifted away from what kept me coming back, expansion after expansion. Starting in Wrath, there was this meta-narrative going on about your character becoming not just stronger in the sense of levels, but more influential in Azeroth. This was realized most fully in Warlords with the Garrison system, and then Legion with becoming a leader of your class hall. Come BfA, however, the crown placed on your character's head turns out to be cardboard and foil, because in each and every mini-story, you are a supporting character for someone else's story. And when those stories were over, I was left flapping in the breeze, just like an NPC.

Major/Minor - It's a VN that is just terrible, no matter how I tried to give it a chance. I read through the awful story, full of insane characters with insaner motivations, because underneath the terribleness was a great idea struggling to come out. For context: Near the beginning of the game,the PC is given a measure of godly power to help them in their quest, and this is quickly followed by, "I know you have many questions, but you only have time for one." Immediately after that, the game shouts, it's a good idea to save often and use multiple save slots. This hints at the importance of the player having more knowledge than the PC, and hints like these are dropped all over the place. What a great game that would've made, where a little metagaming is not just possible, but expected in order to get the best ending! Yeah, that doesn't actually matter. 8 hours I put into that piece of shit title, and all I got was another reason to drink.

Final Fantasy IX - I should like this game. It's old-school and new-ish-school and it's quirky and fun and the character design wasn't stupid yet and I really should like this game but I just don't! I don't like Garnet, I don't like how she has a stupid 90's edge-lord nickname like Dagger and she expects to be taken seriously, I don't like Steiner and his silly run-cycle and his lawful-stupid disposition, I don't like how Zidane's whole shtick is that he's a shonen protag-kun who doesn't know he's not the protagonist, I don't like how most of the story beats come about because of such unbelievable contrivance that the fantasy setting with silly airships is more plausible than the thought that ANY of these asshats are even close to human!

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The Bards Tale game from a couple years ago. I've tried a couple times and the last time I made it the part where you have to go attack the 3 towers, so maybe halfway through the game?

I like the humor a bit but the gameplay just doesn't work for me. I stopped to play something else(I think it was COD:IW) and never ended up going back to it...and honestly I'm not sure I ever will. I honestly don't see it suddenly getting better after this point either, because it feels like I've seen what the game has the offer and I'm not terribly impressed.

And I've managed to brush off gameplay concerns if other factors grab me but this just isn't grabbing me.

I also have yet to finish Dragon Age: Origins. I've tried like 3 times and each time I get a bit further but then put it down and don't try again for years, at which point it feels like I need to start all over again.

I'm not sure if it's because I just don't get the combat system, or I'm not interested in the story or how to properly build a character or what but I always seem to hit some kind of wall and just not want to play anymore. And it's frustrating because so many people talk about how awesome Dragon Age: Origins was.

And considering the next two games are apparently not as good, there doesn't seem to be any point in bothering, if I can't make it through origins and that's supposed to be the best of the bunch.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
PFCboom said:
Final Fantasy IX - I should like this game. It's old-school and new-ish-school and it's quirky and fun and the character design wasn't stupid yet and I really should like this game but I just don't! I don't like Garnet, I don't like how she has a stupid 90's edge-lord nickname like Dagger and she expects to be taken seriously, I don't like Steiner and his silly run-cycle and his lawful-stupid disposition, I don't like how Zidane's whole shtick is that he's a shonen protag-kun who doesn't know he's not the protagonist, I don't like how most of the story beats come about because of such unbelievable contrivance that the fantasy setting with silly airships is more plausible than the thought that ANY of these asshats are even close to human!
FF IX might be my favorite game in the series because I liked the characters and the setting and such, but if you've gotten that far and you're not feeling it, you're right to stop. It's not grabbing you and at this point it's very unlikely you're going to change your mind on it, since a lot of the appeal is the setting/characters/feel.