Yahtzee needs to take a break from Zero Punctuation.

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
Oh, another prick who feels the need to tell everyone he's sick of Zero Punctuation. It's free entertainment, and still hilarious. If you're sick of it, don't watch it. End of story.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
You gotta be kidding! I LOVE him!

...he's the warrior whose team never listens to him, right?

SpikeFT

Nov 18, 2009
Sure he would need a break for himself as a person or until some more s**t comes out for him to tear apart. Besides every week i wait for ZP since its effin awesome.

Hito-Chan

Apr 23, 2010
Eh. I always find myself thinking, "Wow, Yahtzee's new stuff isn't as good as his old stuff. The stuff on page 4 is SO much better." But after a while I realized we had gained two pages and I still liked page 4 best so I think it's just that ZP needs to age properly, like a fine wine made of penis jokes.

Anyhow, why is it "Yahtzee Needs A Break" and not "Yahtzee Needs Less Penis Jokes" or "Yahtzee Needs To Reevaluate His Life, And Probably Also Stop Using So Many Penis Jokes"? I mean, a break wouldn't necessarily change anything. If you can give any reason why it's worse now, you might have a point, but as it stands you're not adding much.

Lineoutt

Sock Hat
Jun 26, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
Tribalbeat said:
DeadlyYellow said:
Seriously what more do you want?
Something entertaining to watch.
Here you go.
Kollega said:
Tribalbeat said:
A lot of his recent Zero Punctuation videos feel like they are just lacking in quality to me. Its like watching a really bad comic trying to do stand up but halfway through he realizes that he isn't funny at all so he decides to just insult everything and act like a prick. Perhaps he just needs to take a week or two off.
Yeah, it seems so... i think i've narrowed it down to lack of traditional British wit. Older ZPs were witty, with copious amounts of wordplay, visual puns, ridiculous metaphors, and so on. Now it's just dicks and dead baby jokes... not too exciting. So yes, i agree that he needs to take a break... not a week or two, but a month or two if he wants to be funny again. Too bad it won't happen. So i've just stopped watching them and probably won't return.

EDIT: I like the way entire "you can't criticize it because it's free" crowd thinks: flaming the OP as if he's automatically wrong.
I agree with you, kollega. He has lost some of that but he used to also have a lot more free time. It seems to me that he is overworked and therefore has lost some creativity.

P.S Where'd ya get your avatar? It seems familiar

P.S.S To all the "its free" people. I payed 5 bucks for HD ZP so HA!

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I dunno. I can never really tell whether a series is getting genuinely less entertaining, or if I've just personally started to get bored with it, since almost everything I watch or read falls into this eventually. I do know that the novelty of the thing is one of its big attracting factors. There's a tendency for everything to be more entertaining when it's new and different, and to start to seem dull once it's been going for a while. See also TV Tropes' take on the matter [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny].

The Jakeinator said:
How 'bout everybody stop bitching and watch the damn things? If you don't like it, don't watch it, and especially don't whine about it on the Internet.

Sheesh, people can complain about anything nowadays.
How 'bout everybody stop confusing criticism for complaining? I mean, for godsakes, this is Yahtzee we're talking about, a guy who makes his living criticizing things, and nobody would dare tell him "If you don't like the game, don't play it"!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
So. Many. ZP. Threads.
Indeed there are many ZP threads. Should there be a filter or something?

OT: I liked this weeks episode. True his old ones are better but I'm not going to start bitching about my free entertainment. No one is forcing me to press play each week.

znix

Apr 9, 2009
ZP is still great, but who said it was a comedy show? Nobody. It's cynicism and sarcasm. Some people find that inherently funny, others don't or completely miss the point.

ZP manages to paint a good picture of gaming today, not just the individual games but overall. I usually find it enlightening and if it manages to make me laugh or chuckle, all the better.

What's not great are those sad individuals who don't enjoy the show, but decide to punish themselves by watching it every week despite having nothing but bile for it. Maybe they do it, just so they can vent in threads like this one?

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Or you could stop watching it rather than complain how a guy is using his life to try to entertain you and is failing. Besides, you seem to be in the minority. Yahtzee isn't going to bend over backwards to please the minority when the majority still like him and find him entertaining.

migo said:
I've been noticing a lot of penis jokes in his videos lately. He really is running out of things to say.
At least the one this week came out of nowhere and actually made me laugh.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
I don't find his videos as funny as the old ones, but I still think he's a great comedian. Humour is subjective.

Superhyperactiveman said:
Unfortunately, Yahtzee chose "Critquing humor" as his style, which essentially means he's only as funny as the latest game allows him to be. If a game is lacking in exploitable flaws, he is forced to import humor from other mediums. Even if a game is flawed, if it is not so in an interesting way, he simply ends up repeating himself from the last video. It's nothing to do with him and everything to do with video games at the moment.
^ This is part of the reason I think. Well said Superhyperactiveman

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
They're something entertaining to watch on Wednesdays? Seriously what more do you want? It's free entertainment.

Here's an idea, how about you stop watching for a few weeks? Then it will seem like he took a break.
Agreed, Op needs to exercise his right to go do something else.

It's inevitable that ZP will seem (or does seem already) less fresh as time goes on, but that's just the nature of the thing, yaknow? Perhaps folks are finding it harder to ignore when he pokes holes in games they really like.

HeySeansOnline

Apr 17, 2009
Five minutes of an original view on Wednesday, i say it's all In good fun, Escapist get's notoriety and he get's cash money to run a bar I hope to get drunk In one day.

no one really

Nov 18, 2009
You have seen so many you've gotten used to them, like the fancy floor the house had when you bought it. Now his matterial is old to you, the floor isn't all that special, you start noticing his flaws and there's a f***ing stain that won't go away... You just have to accept the facts of life and move on. EVERYTHING loses it's glimmer when hid in the dark, so try something different for a couple of weeks, come back and then see if it's still good. If not, then maybe you never really liked it, but just fancied a good rant now and then?

ZombieLawngnome

Jun 3, 2010
I figured all the more pressing matters have already occurred within the first page or so, so I'm just going to say that I appreciate Yahtzee's efforts to amuse us despite the incessant nagging and nitpicking. People are too nostalgic. Thumb's up to you, Croshaw.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wait... you're saying Yahtzee should take a break because you don't like his recent offerings.

Ha!

Besides, hasn't "insulting everything and acting like a prick" kinda been the basis of his show right from the start?

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
Tribalbeat said:
A lot of his recent Zero Punctuation videos feel like they are just lacking in quality to me. Its like watching a really bad comic trying to do stand up but halfway through he realizes that he isn't funny at all so he decides to just insult everything and act like a prick. Perhaps he just needs to take a week or two off.

What do you think of the recent Zero Punctuation videos in comparison to the older ones?
...Its like watching a really bad comic trying to do stand up but halfway through he realizes that he isn't funny at all so he decides to just insult everything and act like a prick.
...halfway through he realizes that he isn't funny at all so he decides to just insult everything and act like a prick.
...he decides to just insult everything and act like a prick.
Hi, welcome to The Escapist and Zero Punctuation. You are obviously new here.

This is the basis for Yahtzee's comedy style and most of his reviews. He finds the flaws that no one else wants to talk about, and then insults the developers and fanbase who don't talk about those flaws. That's kind of his thing.

If you don't like it, stop watching.

It always amazes me how people think comedians are 'losing their touch' over time. No, you've just gotten used to their style and its no longer fresh. You're the one that's changed, not the comedian.