Yahtzee The Ultimate Game Critic And The Imps Invasion

Richard Kain

Aug 10, 2009
The game is a good entry. Its greatest failing is the numerous bugs that plague it.

I love the levels! The background art is full of personality and in-jokes. It is also easily the most detailed background art I've seen in any of the entries. (Including my own, I really should have worked harder on that) It reminds me of some of the side-scrolling beat-em-ups from the 90s, little visual gags strewn about here and there.

The music is a bit on the loud side, but totally awesome! Cheesy butt-rock, and such a good match for the gameplay.

The gameplay is simple, and I've never liked mouse controls for shooting. But the varied and entertaining weapon selection helps to liven it up nicely. Handing the character a flamethrower and a chainsaw later in the level is fantastic. The jumping is probably one of the weaker aspects. It doesn't feel like there is any real weight to the character, and jumping in general doesn't benefit you any.

The animation isn't stellar, but it is definitely above average. It looks like it was done with code. Given the dynamic nature of the main character, and his response to the aiming, this would make sense. The fact that additional characters can be unlocked is a rather impressive feature. It doesn't make as much sense for a brief flash game, but my hat is off to you anyway.

Dableo

Nov 18, 2009
I you want a quick fix for the whole mouse scrolling stuff, just use the direct link to the flash and adjust the window. Direct link is this. --> http://tinyurl.com/yduqv Overall, an enjoyable game, but it certainly had its fair share of bugs.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Well, it is totally, completely awesome. It should have been in the first place if not for the bugs and stupid weapon switch mechanic. I hope it gets progressively better.

EDIT: and it also has a rather nasty bug on a train - after boxcar with ammo on top, there is a next one - and Yahtzee inexplicably dies there sometimes.

Second edit: gun that shoots shurikens and lightning could use... you know... actual lightning.

Third edit: please make animation of the deltaplane flying away when Yahtzee lands, rather than just flashing and disappearing.

xelubest

Feb 12, 2009
@The Random One > The game is simple and short.. i don't think it would need checkpoints.. also i was considering adding some but again.. the time killed me

@RAND00M > yeah.. here is another problem... lots of people say it's too hard.. and lots of people say it's too easy =) damn it's hard making right games XD

@dmase > ah.. sry i didn't found that bug :-S the game was tested by a couple of friends but nobody had that bug... i'll try to fix it soon :D

@RossyB > "Of the others that I've played, this one is by far the best one." THANKS :p and yeah i know the little stucking things on the trian and i have no idea why that happens =(

@Dableo > Broken Link...

@Kollega > Thanks for the review... and for thinking that it should win XD

AGAIN!!!! for all of those that want to play the game WITHOUT the scrolling bug...

>>>>PLAY IT HERE > http://www.xelubest.ro/zpgame.html <<<<<

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
The gun with the flaming tits that shot shurikens and lightning made this.

Actually, though, it's the only entry that I replayed after I died... I thought it was pretty damn compelling, and the weapon selection is sweet.

The stake shooting gun has some bugs... sometimes two stakes will appear, no stakes will appear, etc.

Overall though, this was my favorite.

xelubest

Feb 12, 2009
@uszi >. Thanks alot for the reply. Yeah i know the log weqpon is buggy cause it was the last one added :(. We also had a grenade launcher and a knife but we removed those cause they werent funny :p. And thanks again For thinking that is wa nice and funny =)

LoganAsh

Jul 7, 2008
The game is clearly influenced (heavily) by Madness Interactive. But other than that, a very fun and well made game. Difficulty wasn't too bad, don't know why people found it too hard? But the lack of sound effects was a bit annoying at times. Overall, I think it was easily the Winner!

xelubest

Feb 12, 2009
@sirbryghtside > yes the tits gun it was supposed to run out of bullets when the boss has 1mm of life

@loganash >. Yes the game is inspired by madness interactive cause im a big of madness ^__^. +. I had sound effects added but they were too annoying cause i didnt had the time to make them sound right

once again. Thanks for letting me know ur opinion

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
xelubest said:
>>>>PLAY IT HERE > http://www.xelubest.ro/zpgame.html <<<<<
theres an bug at the boss, i cant use all the weapons, only the smg, the guitar, flamethrower and the wood gun, also i had full hp and he one shotted me by me touching him (i only had the guitar left) .

xelubest

Feb 12, 2009
@swaki > you are supposed to shoot him with the shuriken weapon and then with the mini gun or the tree launcher... His blast drains half of your life and if you touch him you die :p

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
xelubest said:
@uszi >. Thanks alot for the reply. Yeah i know the log weqpon is buggy cause it was the last one added :(. We also had a grenade launcher and a knife but we removed those cause they werent funny :p. And thanks again For thinking that is wa nice and funny =)
Grenade launcher...
Wasn't... funny?

Omg... I want to explode imps. :(

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
I loved it. I played it over and over again. Good enough combat, nice fun, and I have only one complaint. When I was at the part with the hang-glider, I walked to the end of the box. After, I got stuck and had to restart. But, whatever, it was good enough to overlook that.

And I really don't see how that tower defense one beat it...

Edit: Also, scroll to switch? Bad idea.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
This game is awesome. 1st prize in my eyes. Just played through it again as Gordon Freeman. Plus it had a series of QTEs that I actually liked =)

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Oh, what fun. My mouse refuses to change weapons, so I generally end up hopping around and dying as soon as the stake gun runs out of rounds, and when I finally managed to stave off the hordes, get more ammo, and move on...I randomly die. No explanation given. I'm just dead.

Taern

Dec 22, 2008
The final gun was awesome. Tits, Fire, Shurikans and lightning? How could it be better?

Oh right, it could juggle imps that it killed. Not bad overall.

Gentelman Jim

Nov 17, 2009
Real great game, would have taken first easy with some polish, speaking of which, I found a bug with the stake gun that caused imps to kill themselves on touching a stake that was already embedded in the terrain.

avelmen1889

Dec 30, 2008
this game is really fun but it hates me because the train level got me stuck on a wheel and it wouldnt let me move. still fun. five