Yahtzee's Nightmare

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
This is the official thread for "Yahtzee's Nightmare".

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/games/stonking_great/game/17-Yahtzee%27s+Nightmare

Please tell us what you think of the game; use of the words "compelling" and "cinematic" are already assumed in your reviews.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
kinda fun in that asteroids way, but again, no sound. I kinda wonder why, I don't make games but is putting in music and sound effects really that hard.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I found it compelling how cinematic the game managed to be.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
kinda fun in that asteroids way, but again, no sound. I kinda wonder why, I don't make games but is putting in music and sound effects really that hard.
Yeah, I agree, some sound would have made this really more awesome.

That said, I still got a good score. Multipliers rule with the Xbox and dev heads.

Mar 16, 2009
This reminds me of the game I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES!!!1 for the XBLA. It has sound effects, fun music, constantly changing enemies and environments, it offers a lot that zapdot should look into as a demonstration of what else he could have done to offer a more complete game. This had potential, I think he just needed to put more into it.

Cingle

Jul 12, 2006
Most people don't bother with sound because they don't bother to consider it when they're consuming any other media either. It's historically been the bastard child of creative contributions to games.

zapdot

Oct 19, 2009
Thanks for the kind words guys. :)

We jumped into this project two weeks before the due date. (That's not an excuse, just the reality of our situation)

When I tried to code in sound effects, I approached it incorrectly, and the instant a sound effect was played, the game took a really hard framerate hit. We had to cut it in favor of smooth gameplay.

That being said, forcing us to design and create this game from scratch was a *TON* of fun in the short time we had.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
It lack a little polish. I'm sorry, I meant a lot. If it had sound, better animations (you can't just have the sprites float around then call your game a 'nightmare' and either toned down the difficulty or gave you permanent upgrades it would, at least, be better than that game that one first place.

Sulu

Jul 7, 2009
I shall review this game in the same way Yahtzee reviews other games. To sumarise it is utter crap!

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Kuliani said:
Please tell us what you think of the game; use of the words "compelling" and "cinematic" are already assumed in your reviews.
It was compellingly cinematic and cinematicly compelling. I give it a 12 out of 10 and say that it should be made part of mandatory education due to it's sheer brilliance and inspired storyline which teaches us all a lesson in morality and respect for our fellow man. A truly exceptional, life changing game.

[small]No, I haven't played it.[/small]