Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z Review - A Load Of Friggin' Crap

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
You poor, poor, god of a man you. I won't judge you for not finishing it. Come here *hugs* everything is going to be okay.

Serious post time:
This game does indeed sound like a lot of wasted potential. Then again, I've never seen much good come from these devs.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I agree. I felt so bad that both Legendary and Turning Point turned out to be shit because both ideas were fucking awesome. Guess they like to be consistent.

bandit0802

Dec 24, 2008
How is it that a truly awful developer like Spark Unlimited gets to keep churning out crap, but great developers like Pandemic and High Moon get shut down after MULTIPLE successful and enjoyable titles?!

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
bandit0802 said:
How is it that a truly awful developer like Spark Unlimited gets to keep churning out crap, but great developers like Pandemic and High Moon get shut down after MULTIPLE successful and enjoyable titles?!
Probably because they just fulfill all the checkpoints their publisher requires and don't exceed their budgets because they simply don't care beyond just reaching those checkpoints because they're content with churning out crap. Lower budgets etc. probably mean their publisher still makes a profit on their games and thus they get to churn out more bad games.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
Jesus, it's the half star. I had a feeling the game wasn't going to be any good, but... this bad? That never crossed my mind.

I haven't enjoyed a Ninja Gaiden game since Sigma on the PS3, and that was just an update of the Xbox game, so that oughta tell you how the property's doing in my eyes as of now.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
It's sad how they manage to make one good one and the rest just don't make any kind of headway.
It's also sad because they'll just keep porting Ninja Gaiden 1 on more and more platforms at this rate. Lovely

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
wow this game sounds horrendous.
I don't judge this review for you did not finish the game. If a game is so bad that you have no will to play it ever again then it's games is doing something wrong.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
The real question is whether it's the level of bad necessary for it to be hilarious to watch attempt to force his/her/their way through it.

Personally I want to see Graham & Paul take a crack at it, although this sounds more like 'inflict a game on Alex' material.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Really hoped this would be good. Overall opinion seems pretty negative. Its a shame because I thought DMC was really good at least in regards to combat. What a let down.

AznaktaX

Dec 3, 2013
Wow, it's rare that I see Jim Sterling so furious over a game that he will write "I hate it." so many times.

I know Ninja Gaiden video games cause a certain level of frustration, but judging from the review, the frustration was for the wrong reasons this time.

Mister Chippy

Jun 12, 2013
Honestly I wanna watch a few playthroughs of this, if only to hear more people pan it. It's rare for us to get games this bad that are part of a once venerated franchise. Hell, I think the last time this happened was DNF.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Man, I was really looking forward to this. As someone who never liked the mostly serious Ninja Gaiden games, this looked incredibly fun and right up my alley...

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Robert Marrs said:
Its a shame because I thought DMC was really good at least in regards to combat.
This Ninja Gaiden wasn't made by Ninja Theory, they pawned the game off to Spark Unlimited.

OT: Ahh the dreaded half star review, always a fun read. Shame that someone always has to actually play games like this to write these reviews.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Furioso said:
Robert Marrs said:
Its a shame because I thought DMC was really good at least in regards to combat.
This Ninja Gaiden wasn't made by Ninja Theory, they pawned the game off to Spark Unlimited.

OT: Ahh the dreaded half star review, always a fun read. Shame that someone always has to actually play games like this to write these reviews.
Actually, no Ninja Gaiden game has ever been made by Ninja Theory. Ninja Gaiden has, since the Xbox version, been made by Team Ninja under the Tecmo banner. They're probably best known for the Dead or Alive series of fighting games. Ninja Theory, on the other hand, is the company behind games like Heavenly Sword and Enslaved.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
I'm usually not one to harp on about graphics, but when I first saw the video I thought it was a 3DS or download game. I'm genuinely surprised this is a full-priced release, cause it certainly doesn't look it.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Furioso said:
Robert Marrs said:

Actually, no Ninja Gaiden game has ever been made by Ninja Theory. Ninja Gaiden has, since the Xbox version, been made by Team Ninja under the Tecmo banner. They're probably best known for the Dead or Alive series of fighting games. Ninja Theory, on the other hand, is the company behind games like Heavenly Sword and Enslaved.
Oh, well Wikipedia lied to me then

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
StriderShinryu said:
They're probably best known for the Dead or Alive series of fighting games.
Or, depending on your video gaming preferences, Metroid: Other M.

OT: Fortunately the game was never on my radar in the first place. Granted, I've never played a Ninja Gaiden game anyway, but...

Serious question though, I have to wonder if it's worse than all of the practically unfinished tat that's been showing up on Steam lately.