Yasuke - Netflix Animated Show

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I take it Netflix is not available in your region. No worries, there are other methods I am sure you can figure out.
Nah I have Netflix. It's more of that anything Netflix touches seems to inevitably go to shit. I would have preferred if an anime of this caliber be attached to pretty much any other distributor.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Nah I have Netflix. It's more of that anything Netflix touches seems to inevitably go to shit. I would have preferred if an anime of this caliber be attached to pretty much any other distributor.
I don't know about all that. Granite I don't watch that many Netflix shows. I only watched the ones that appeal to me. Most of the ones I've watched seem to do fine for the most part. Granted, Iron Fist sucked. I couldn't even bother with Jessica Jones, and The Punisher only watched the first season. And I have no interest to see the second season. The Castlevania Series has been doing pretty well. I just wish the third season didn't end on such a downer. A fourth season already been green lit. It's supposed to be the final season for this particular castlevania. They are doing a JoJo's bizarre adventure thing, where each new series is a new generation.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I don't know about all that. Granite I don't watch that many Netflix shows. I only watched the ones that appeal to me. Most of the ones I've watched seem to do fine for the most part. Granted, Iron Fist sucked. I couldn't even bother with Jessica Jones, and The Punisher only watched the first season. And I have no interest to see the second season. The Castlevania Series has been doing pretty well. I just wish the third season didn't end on such a downer. A fourth season already been green lit. It's supposed to be the final season for this particular castlevania. They are doing a JoJo's bizarre adventure thing, where each new series is a new generation.
The two Netflix shows that I can recall that haven't gone to shit were Daredevil and Stranger Things, and even they skirted the line sometimes. My problem really is that they start off really strong, then either get terrible follow ups or cancelled.

I hadn't heard about the Jojo thing, I was pretty sure they're not Netflix originals?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The two Netflix shows that I can recall that haven't gone to shit were Daredevil and Stranger Things, and even they skirted the line sometimes. My problem really is that they start off really strong, then either get terrible follow ups or cancelled.

I hadn't heard about the Jojo thing, I was pretty sure they're not Netflix originals?
No, what I meant was that they're going to do the Castlevania shows in the style of Jojo. Each generation is further ahead in the timeline. You know how like parts 1 through 6 operate. Each one takes place in a different era or decade.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
No, what I meant was that they're going to do the Castlevania shows in the style of Jojo. Each generation is further ahead in the timeline. You know how like parts 1 through 6 operate. Each one takes place in a different era or decade.
Ohhh I see, my bad. Maybe one day I'll get into it, I've heard nothing but good things.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011

Bojack Horseman had a really good run.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
That looks cool as shit. Real Ninja Scroll vibes without the NC-17 bits.

Hopefully Mappa is able to finish it before the anime industry implodes

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Yasuke is also a Samurai Warriors character now. So with Nioh, Netflix and Samurai Warriors all clamoring for him I'd say Yasuke has a pretty great year.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yasuke is also a Samurai Warriors character now. So with Nioh, Netflix and Samurai Warriors all clamoring for him I'd say Yasuke has a pretty great year.
Given the afro/asian fusion that was Samurai Shamploo, was Yasuke in that show? I didn't really watch more than a handful of episodes before losing interest. But he seems like the kind of character that would be a perfect fit for the lofi/hiphop tone of that anime.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Given the afro/asian fusion that was Samurai Shamploo, was Yasuke in that show?
No. He did not appear. While the time period is kept mostly ambiguous in the show, it's implied totakes place in the mid 1600s. Yasuke would have been long dead by that point.

I highly recommend you give Samurai Champloo one more try. At least finish it once. It has the same amount of episodes as Cowboy Bebop. 26 episodes.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
One thing I found a little weird about the trailer, is towards the end, when someone is ridiculing Yasuke for "always being a servant". Well.....I mean yeah, that's literally what the word samurai means. So, why would someone from the Japanese culture use that phrase as an insult? It feels more like western mentality leaking into the script.

Yasuke's response of "I serve noone" would technically be accurate at that point, as I think it's after Nobunaga died, thus making him ronin. But again, in Japanese culture, that wouldn't be the situation to seek out. Working for a daimyo was usually what someone wanted, as it meant stability, food, income, potentially land and status within society. Becoming ronin would be seen as a step down.

So it feels kind of strange, it feels a bit jarring in the tone, as far as how they are trying to frame the cultural conflict. I guess they are pushing more the afro/western centric views on society, and thus him being a servant, is equivalent to being a slave, and that is of course a fairly heavy statement for someone from Africa. And I get that, but it does seem to be fairly historically inaccurate to the time, the culture, and the way they viewed those two states of being, samurai/ronin.