Yelling Out Sarcastic Jokes In A Movie Theater

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
I dont mind if people ramble on in the ads in the beginning, but usually when the film starts I like silence.

I remember I went to see Shutter Island and a trailer for that Justin Bieber movie popped up. And when the "In Theatres Soon" popped up I yelled "Hitting Puberty Soon" Seemed to get a lot of laughs and then the rest of the movie was all quiet and nice.

Ronin08

Nov 18, 2009
There are two movies this is acceptable for: The Room, and Rocky Horror Picture show. In fact, PLEASE do it for The Room, because I laughed until I was in tears.

If you do it for any other movie, I will end you.

AlAaraaf74

Dec 11, 2010
During Final Destination 5, and my friend did the Melvin laugh when the girl fell out the window and onto the car. Everyone in the theater enjoyed that.

ATRAYA

Jul 19, 2011
When I saw GI Joe (the new one), when what's-his-face said "No, Duke..." in that deep voice, I yelled out "I am your father!"

Everyone laughed...

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
No, because people pay a crapload of money to go to the movies today and I don't wanna catch a beat down afterwards from the pissed off people. If it's one or two snarky jokes that are far and few between them it might be ok, also depends on the movie you're seeing like "The Last Airbender", pretty sure a few snarky jokes might make that better. The only I've ever done anything like that was at some very late night showing of a movie and my friend and I had the place to oursevles. :D

In the end though I just watch the movie and leave the joke making to the pro's:

commodore96

Aug 31, 2010
I love it when people do this it is hilarious, and I do it sometimes too. My favorite was during hot tub time machine Darrel says he can't get a job during the 80's, so I sarcastically yelled "Its because he is black." I got some high fives from the African in Americans in the audience after the movie.

freakydan

Jan 28, 2010
Dorian6 said:
It all depends on the movie.

Usually I'll just whisper it to my friends, but if the movie is terrible enough and/or there's no one around to disturb, then I'll say it out loud.

I'm of the mind that if you don't want a running commentary from the audience, then don't go see a shit movie.

"But Dorian6" I hear from the masses. "The people who paid for the movie deserve the right to see it without ass-hats providing their own commentary."

No they do not. If you actually liked Green Lantern or Skyline or The Last Airbender or Fast 5 or Transformers, then you deserve to be viciously mocked. Your opinion is wrong, and you have no taste.
I am one of the ones who didn't feel cheated out of $10 by The Green Lantern. In fact, I'll probably buy it when it comes out on DVD.

I am prepared for your undoubtedly witty vicious mockery of me.

Spaceparanoid42

Oct 29, 2010
Many years ago, my sister dragged me to see the crappy movie adaptation of "Ella Enchanted." At one point Ella was talking to an elf who was trying to confess that he wanted to become a lawyer. As he stammered: "I...I want to be a...a..."

I muttered: "A dentist!" Only a few people heard me, but they laughed.

Also, when I saw Avatar, during the scene where Jake was recording his video log and said: "Well, here I am...doing science."

My friend and I simultaneously sang: "And I'm still alive!!"

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
feeback06 said:
It depends on two things:

The quality of the movie
and
The size of the audience.
This.
If it's a terrible movie with very few people in the audience, then it's fine, not that I'd ever do anything like it.

IronicBeet

Jun 27, 2009
If it's at a showing of a film like the Rocky Horror Picture Show or The Room, then sure. If it's at a normal movie in a normal movie theater, then I'd prefer that you shut the hell up and let me watch the movie I payed to see.

zero_traveler

Aug 14, 2011
Only once have I done something like this, and it was at the end of Star Trek: Nemesis.

I went to see it with my dad cause he wanted to go see it.

Got to the end of the movie, and the ship blew up with Data inside, right after Picard got ported back to the bridge of the enterprise, and they watch the explosion through the giant hole in the bridge, helpfully covered with forcefields to keep the ship from decompressing.

All of a sudden, I got a mental image of Data's dismembered head flying out of the exploding ship wreckage and bouncing off the bridges forcefields.

I immediately burst out laughing harder than I'd ever laughed at a somewhat serious movie before.

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
Nope. I paid to see the movie, with every experience that the creators of the movie put into it. Some jerk-off trying to be funny just ruins it. I may not like the movie, but there is always SOMEONE who does.

krellen

Unrepentant Obsidian Fanboy
Jan 23, 2009
Don't talk over the movie - if you make me not hear a line, you've committed sin.

Otherwise, I don't care. Theatres are communal experiences. If you want to experience the film in peace, watch it at home in private.

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
If the movie is good, shut the fuck up. If the movie is average or bad, please, spice it up, I'm already bored half to death.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Dorian6 said:
It all depends on the movie.

Usually I'll just whisper it to my friends, but if the movie is terrible enough and/or there's no one around to disturb, then I'll say it out loud.

I'm of the mind that if you don't want a running commentary from the audience, then don't go see a shit movie.

"But Dorian6" I hear from the masses. "The people who paid for the movie deserve the right to see it without ass-hats providing their own commentary."

No they do not. If you actually liked Green Lantern or Skyline or The Last Airbender or Fast 5 or Transformers, then you deserve to be viciously mocked. Your opinion is wrong, and you have no taste.
Doesn't matter if the movie's a piece of shit. They payed the cash, you've got no right to interrupt the movie they paid to see.

If the theater wants to do that they can, but for the most part, unless the shouting out is encouraged, everyone REALLY should just shut the fuck up when they're at a movie. Go ahead and whisper to buddies, just doing talk loud enough that you bother other people.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Rarely. Unless its REALLY funny, its just annoying. And few people are as funny as they think they are. Best to save the sarcastic comments for movies at home with friends.

That being said, one of the best moments ever at a movie was, back in the CoD: MW 2 days, I was at a movie and the power went out and immediately somebody screamed "We've been EMP'd!" Totally worth the price of admission.

Of-the-Lion

Feb 18, 2010
Beastly- STOP LAUGHING
When Vanessa Hudgen's says to Pettyfer, the fifteen people I was with each gave there own reaction. Everything from "Ooooo" to "SSSSsss, fuck man". I did my best Mortal Kombat voice and shouted: "FRIEND ZONED!"