Yep, Amazing Spider-Man 2 Cast/Crew Would Like A Marvel Crossover

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Yep, Amazing Spider-Man 2 Cast/Crew Would Like A Marvel Crossover

Andrew Garfield once again confirms he'd like to see his Amazing Spider-Man show up in the Avengers universe.

It's well-known that Sony and Marvel were * this * close to a deal that would have slipped an Easter egg in the form of The Amazing Spider-Man's Oscorp Tower into the New York City skyline of The Avengers. As it turned out, Marvel's SFX team were already nearly done with their film by the time this happened, and the subtle crossover never materialized.

Well, at least the stars and director of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 wish that wasn't the case. In an interview posted today on Yahoo! Movies UK [http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/video/amazing-spider-man-2-cast-120020324.html], stars Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone and Jamie Foxx, and director Marc Webb, were asked if they'd like to see a crossover, and the consensus was a very diplomatic yes. "I think everyone would love to see that," Garfield said. "The thing is that I would love that, the fans would love that. Obviously, big business and lawyers and rights issues are an obstacle. In my naivete I'm all 'let's put all that aside and just do it!'."

Obviously, this is just a puff-piece interview and the responses therein should not be taken in any way to indicate that this is a real possibility. But, it's worth noting that this isn't the first time Garfield has mentioned wanting to insert himself into the MCU. At Comic Con 2013, during the Amazing Spider-Man panel, when asked by a fan what element from the Spider-Man comics he'd most like to do in the films, he said, unambiguously, "I'd like to be an Avenger."

I'm actually a fan of Andrew Garfield's take on Peter Parker and Spider-Man, so I'll admit I'd really like to see him in an epic snark duel with the RDJ version of Tony Stark. However, given how uneven and plodding The Amazing Spider-Man was, I can't say I'm particularly upset about a lack of ties to the MCU. I'd rather see if Marvel could work actual magic with the wall crawler on its own terms, especially considering how they managed to take one of the Marvel Universe's silliest characters - Loki - and turn him into one of the greatest screen villains of all time. Sony, meanwhile, can't figure out how to celebrate the weirdness of the Spidey-corner of the Marvel universe and take it seriously at the same time, so the result is stuff like the hilariously awful Green Goblin unveiled a few weeks back [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132355-Amazing-Spider-Man-2s-Green-Goblin-Revealed-at-Toy-Fair].

Fortunately, we'll be spared seeing Captain America square off against h/t [http://www.nbc.com/parks-and-recreation/video/the-complete-jean-ralphio/n4553]), as there is no way Sony will relinquish creative control over Spider-Man to fit him into the MCU. Hell, the reason the Amazing Spider-Man franchise even exists is that Sony wants to keep the rights to Spider-Man and his related characters from ever reverting back to Disney.

Besides, that weird, almost-was crossover sounds kind of cool, in the same way seeing ETs as members of the Galactic Senate sounded cool right up until we actually saw The Phantom Menace. So maybe we dodged a bullet. Unless The Amazing Spider-Man 2 ends up being awesome, in which case cue tears from me.

Source: via Comic Book Movie [http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/video/amazing-spider-man-2-cast-120020324.html].

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I would love to see Amazing Spiderman be a part of the Marvel Movieverse, too; at least in an alternate timeline where The Amazing Spiderman was a good movie. In this universe? Sorry Garfield; please stay out of the (so far) good movieverse that Marvel has going.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I wouldn't mind Spider-Man showing up for a brief cameo in the Avengers universe, or at least a little nod to him. But having him be a full-fledged member or an extended scene, I'm not so sure about. I never saw the latest film because when I saw Peter Park, he didn't look like Peter Parker. Honest Trailers sums up my problem with him pretty well, and Movie Bob's review just made it so I had no desire to see the movie. I do like the idea he had though about Spider-woman showing up. Have one of the Avengers look at her and go, "So...spider theme? Any relation to--" "Nope. Never even met the guy." That would be perfect in my opinion.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Yep, Amazing Spider-Man 2 Cast/Crew Would Like To Be A Part Of A Brilliant Movie Franchise

There, fixed it for you. ;)

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
No! Not this Spider-man. If they make a new Spidey designed to be intertwined with Disney/Marvel universe that would be OK. But this Spidey sucks and it just wouldn't make any sense. It's set in New York. And there wasn't a single mention of Stark, Thor, Cap, Loki, aliens etc. This spidey doesn't belong in that universe.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I'd love to see that happen, Thor could accidentally splatter him when Jane mentions that she's afraid of spiders. Then Iron Man would have some dinky gadget to clear up the gibs.

I'd like Disney to get Spiderman back, then immediately hire Sam Raimi and let him do Spiderman 3 properly...

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
First of all, I haven't seen The Amazing Spiderman, so I don't really know how that Spiderman is, but looking from the trailer he seems kinda moody. Well, at least Peter Parker does. It just doesn't feel like a good fit with the Avengers.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I'd be okay if they decided that this spider-man was in the ultimate universe, but only if they have him hook up with the x-men and shadow cat. I loved that story arc from the ultimate spider-man universe and I pretty much felt falling back to Marry Jane was dumb.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
No... no maybe when you don't go out on a limb and try making Spiderman a dumb emo teen, i will want him to be a part of the universe, but this isn't the smart/sciencey, cool, smart talking spider man that i would want talking to iron man.

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
If they can get Garfield to do it without Sony, yes(far better spidy/parker imo). If Sony's attached, no. Bassically, all Sony's needs is to be there to collect the money and make sure their brand doesn't take a hit. After that, shut it.

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
Sniper Team 4 said:
I wouldn't mind Spider-Man showing up for a brief cameo in the Avengers universe, or at least a little nod to him. But having him be a full-fledged member or an extended scene, I'm not so sure about. I never saw the latest film because when I saw Peter Park, he didn't look like Peter Parker. Honest Trailers sums up my problem with him pretty well, and Movie Bob's review just made it so I had no desire to see the movie. I do like the idea he had though about Spider-woman showing up. Have one of the Avengers look at her and go, "So...spider theme? Any relation to--" "Nope. Never even met the guy." That would be perfect in my opinion.
Honestly, take Bobs review with a grain of fan raged salt. I've watched/read spider-man to the same lengths he has and enjoy Garfield's portrayal more. The writing and pacing compared to the original trilogy was off(as well as more than a few plot holes), but it follows the series and brings to life the characters far better than the original(SM2 was amazing though). All in all I'd put SM1 above ASM1 simply because of William Dafoe's Green Goblin. As to the sequel, Jami Foxx is an amazing actor so I'll hold my tongue on bashing on ASM2's Electro. Plus....Spider-Man 3 >:[

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
just wana point out that it was the script that sucked not the acting. Hell im a fan of ultimate spiderman and this guy acts exactly the same as spidy does in that comic, wise cracking and using web shooters.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Sounds like a case of Sony wanting to have their cake and eat Marvel's too.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I am guessing that they want to cross over with the Marvel CU in order to be in a good superhero movie as apposed to the crap they have had to do so far.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
ecoho said:
just wana point out that it was the script that sucked not the acting. Hell im a fan of ultimate spiderman and this guy acts exactly the same as spidy does in that comic, wise cracking and using web shooters.
Agree, and that's precisely why I'm a fan of Garfield as Spidey and wish he could be Spidey in better movies within the MCU.

EDIT: adding that this also illustrates how much better Superhero movies can be when the filmmakers don't have to pretend the world only has one hero.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
RossaLincoln said:
ecoho said:
Agree, and that's precisely why I'm a fan of Garfield as Spidey and wish he could be Spidey in better movies within the MCU.

EDIT: adding that this also illustrates how much better Superhero movies can be when the filmmakers don't have to pretend the world only has one hero.
I have a feeling Disney's just going to gobble up all the marvel rights as soon as they get done integrating the star wars brand into their kingdom, and trust me if anyone can just ***** slap sony off the movie rights it'll be Disney.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
No! Not this Spider-man. If they make a new Spidey designed to be intertwined with Disney/Marvel universe that would be OK. But this Spidey sucks and it just wouldn't make any sense. It's set in New York. And there wasn't a single mention of Stark, Thor, Cap, Loki, aliens etc. This spidey doesn't belong in that universe.
So many people giving voice to my very thoughts. It's like there are people out there who share my feelings on the Not-Really-That-Amazing Spider-Man movies.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
ecoho said:
RossaLincoln said:
ecoho said:

I have a feeling Disney's just going to gobble up all the marvel rights as soon as they get done integrating the star wars brand into their kingdom, and trust me if anyone can just ***** slap sony off the movie rights it'll be Disney.
You realize this is kind of like hoping that C'thulu and Cthugha have a fight. Now we're boned.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
What's this? A crap franchise wants to get in with a great one? Amazing! Next you'll tell me that every lame dude in high school would love to score with the hottest chick, this is all so unbelievable!

Seriously though, until Disney gets the rights back, absolutely anything and everything to do with a movie version of Spider-Man just feels like twisting a knife. I'm really disappointed in Disney, I'd foolishly hoped that they'd be able to get all their lost Marvel children back home under one roof, seems like they'd have that power if they'd just foot the bill.